Howto: Properly Fix Your Pioneer's Rca Ground

Righty... the other day I was doing the fusible link on a Pioneer P80RS and decided I may as well photograph the process.

It's pretty much the same for most Pioneers from the last couple of years.

So here we go:

Here's the victim

Posted Image

Remove all the screws with arrows pointing at them

Posted Image

Pry the top off, you'll need to get at it with a flathead screwdriver but if it isn't coming easily you probably missed a screw...

Posted Image

Unscrew the CD drive part. There's usually 4-5 screws, some of them are in odd places like down the holes at the front. You'll want a magnetic screwdriver for this.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Lift out the CD drive. It usually has 2 cables going to it.

Posted Image

Disconnect the ribbon cable by gently lifting the 2 tabs on each side of the connector. Then unplug the other connector and put the CD drive to one side, exposing the board.

Posted Image

Unscrew this little clippy thing and set it aside

Posted Image

Disconnect the front panel ribbon cable, same way as the CD drive one. Be careful, it's quite fragile.

Posted Image

With a pair of needlenose pliers gently bend these little tab things so they're in line with the holes in the PCB. Try not to over-bend them as we don't want them snapping off...

Posted Image

Unplug this connector

Posted Image

Remove any screws holding the board down (there might be 1 or 2) then remove it from the casing

Posted Image

Here's the topside of a P80

Posted Image

And here's the underside

Posted Image

On the P80 the fuse is on the top, right beside the RCA plug connector thing. On some it's underneath the PCB but it's usually not far from the RCAs anyway.

Here's the little bastard. They are usually white and have a little P on them. I don't know if all models have the /!\ on the PCB beside it.

Posted Image

Now my camera ran out of battery here :(

I'm fortunate enough to have a hot air station so this was a piece of piss for me but if you're using a normal soldering iron:

Heat the whole fuse. Heat both ends alternatingly then heat the whole body of it. Keep heating it until it slides off the pads or comes away stuck to the tip of your iron. Don't force it, if you mess the pads up you're in trouble.

Once you have the fuse off you can simply dump a blob of solder between the 2 points. Personally I like to clip off a little bit of a leg from a resistor or something and solder it across the gap but there's nothing wrong with a good solder blob.

Follow the pictures in reverse, be very very careful with the ribbon cables and make sure they're in the connectors properly before clamping the little tabs down on them.

Enjoy your new noise-free headunit and don't worry about popping the link any more :)

NOTE:

The fusible link is there 'for a reason'.

If your ground falls out of your amp the fusible link will usually protect your RCAs and headunit but obviously the stops that happening.

You'll probably burn a ground track instead, like any other headunit.

I take no responsibility for anything that happens as a result of you messing around with your headunit.

This guide is purely informative, you should not do anything depicted here, and I'm not responsible if you choose to.

goodgrammarbc7.gif

10.x volts fo' life!

dont know why but some get the problem and some dont.lucky im the latter..always wondered what that damn thing looked like..good schooling

07 mote carlo..

deh-p800prs hu-cdt gold 6.5's-cdt 6x9 2 ways-mcintosh mc431m(mids/highs)

bxi2608,2 10w7's in 4rth order(designed by pete k)ported into cabin via armrest cutout

dc power 260 amp alt-missing link module (15.4v)kicker 1/0 kit deka intimidator under hood

metered 141.0 @ 32hz windows down @ kick,termlab

dont know why but some get the problem and some dont.lucky im the latter..always wondered what that damn thing looked like..good schooling

glad you didnt but i know when i was selling pioneer i had alot of them come back quick because of it. Or i would have a pissed off installer asking me why i sold a customer on this shit. It got to the point i would straight tell a customer what kind of a POS pioneer cd head units are. It always made an Alpine an easy sale, with less headaches for me and my installers. I have always said if nav is your thing pioneer might be where you want to look, if its not leave the POS alone.

EDIT: GREAT WRITE UP THOUGH. I just think its crazy that you have to do this to a "quality product" straight out of the box.

2007 Acura TSX

Stock Navigation

Rockford 360.2 (FOR SALE)

Sundown SAZ3500

2 12" DC Sound Lab LvL4 @2ohm

JL 600/4

2 Sets of Focal 165K2P

glad you didnt but i know when i was selling pioneer i had alot of them come back quick because of it. Or i would have a pissed off installer asking me why i sold a customer on this shit. It got to the point i would straight tell a customer what kind of a POS pioneer cd head units are. It always made an Alpine an easy sale, with less headaches for me and my installers. I have always said if nav is your thing pioneer might be where you want to look, if its not leave the POS alone.

EDIT: GREAT WRITE UP THOUGH. I just think its crazy that you have to do this to a "quality product" straight out of the box.

i had a salesmen push a pioneer head unit on me extremely hard, its only 2.2v and i needed a head unit for well over 2,000 RMS in the 6-8v range.

I was extremely pissed after i found out, and they where onsale too so i guess he much have got his little commission.

smdsignature.jpg

i had a salesmen push a pioneer head unit on me extremely hard, its only 2.2v and i needed a head unit for well over 2,000 RMS in the 6-8v range.

I was extremely pissed after i found out, and they where onsale too so i guess he much have got his little commission.

preout voltage doesnt correlate to how many watts you can pump out from the amps. unless you were going in the SQ direction then i can understand having a high preout voltage.

• 8 years later...

no shit the post is 8 years old...

fisigggg.JPEG?raw=1 Crossfire_Car_Audio2_265_zpsd219cf51.PNG ablogo_zps4c550ed1.PNG?raw=1 download%204_zpsecsgajxi.JPG?raw=1 Audison-Logo_zps3f7b2a7f.JPG?raw=1 sundown_bg2_zps1d0951fc.JPG?raw=1 orionsmalllogosig_zpsf8d08612.PNG?raw=1 KaptionLogo_zps06c2a555.JPG?raw=1 

I RREEALLY ANGRY WIT U PHOTOBUCKET. HAD TO USE DROPBOX NOW HOLYYYYYY.

Wanna ride bikes?

On 9/16/2017 at 3:28 AM, Jake Pace said:

Oh i know how a 12v system works I did take 3 years of electronics in High school hands on and some in college and also worked on cars in college an always got A's to B's in each class. 

But oh well enough dealing with ppl who have probably not even lived as long as ive been into electronics!

On 7/8/2013 at 4:01 AM, Banshee421 said:

Do horns get low

Archived