Better Spl With A T-line Or Vented Box?

whaaat? ed please share i have been wanting to go ported but i am scared to death that 1500 watts wont move shit

Oh 1500w can move plenty.

My subs with the 400w amp move about 1/8th of an inch and I am burping in the mid 140s. almost 145.

When testing my original T3 TSS aluminum cones. I was able to do mid 146s with one 12 and a 1500w Crunch amp.

Just because a woofer can handle alot of power, doesnt mean it can be efficient. As long as a woofer has light weight parts, it will be efficient. Carbon fiber cones are the best.

Ported boxes give the best potential for high SPL, but bandpasses also do well because of the rules in competition.

If a T-line is built and designed properly, it will do well, much like the one 15 you have, but I think you may have peaked its potential, I dont know of anyone doing as good as you are with a T-line.

Ed Lester

ShowtimeSPL Host

Showtime Electronics Video Marketing

My old Build Log
http://www.stevemead...08/#entry511451

http://www.youtube.com/showtimespl

TeamDeadlyHertz-HHREd.png

5 time dB Drag Finalist
Last ride 2007 HHR, current dB 153.5 and bass race 149.4 dB. 153.0 dB on music

New Ride, 2008 HHR SS. Build under way.
Loudest score ever = 171dB
2009 dB Drag Racing, North American Points Champion

i dont know i havent made a ported box in a while and am nervous to do anything ported again my goal is to do 49.9s with one 18 and under 3000 watts so i built this fucking huge tline for an 18 like 15 cubes or some shit and i hope it is somewhat loud but i was excatly a happy camper we could say when i hooked eveything up

Roseville, CA

Its easier to obtain a 140db with a tline than a ported box, on less power, but from what I have heard in the past from some older crowd - unless your in a large room, large vehicle, tuning low, ported is going to be better

Tlines just like HHR said, are better for the low end, the phase alignment is better on lower frequencies I would say 45hz and less.

A Bandpass tline on the other hand, well is pretty usefull

sundown.jpg
I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.

so you went from a 15" to a 18" tline? what kind of gain if any did you see, and what quarter wave freq's?

sundown.jpg
I have a ritual called "terminator". I crouch in the shower in the "naked terminator" pose. With eyes closed I crouch for a minute and visualize either Arnie or the guy from the 2nd movie. I then start to hum the T2 theme. Slowly I rise to a standing position and open my eyes. It helps me get through my day. The only problem is if the shower curtain sticks to my terminator leg. It sorta ruins the fantasy.

oh yeah, T-lines can become really huge to play at the proper frequencies. I would like to see one on a Dodge Sprinter van, but in a truck or small car, I would always go ported.

On the other hand, everyone does ported, if you wanna be unique, a t-line will get you props.

Ed Lester

ShowtimeSPL Host

Showtime Electronics Video Marketing

My old Build Log
http://www.stevemead...08/#entry511451

http://www.youtube.com/showtimespl

TeamDeadlyHertz-HHREd.png

5 time dB Drag Finalist
Last ride 2007 HHR, current dB 153.5 and bass race 149.4 dB. 153.0 dB on music

New Ride, 2008 HHR SS. Build under way.
Loudest score ever = 171dB
2009 dB Drag Racing, North American Points Champion

i dont have any tl numbers from the new box the 15 box has somewhere around 9.1 ft of port the new one has around 7.3 ft of port the 18 box is louder for sure but i just dont know how muck louder yet

Roseville, CA

I'am a tline guy myself, about 75% of my builds are quarter wave based. I just sold my box I built about 4 years ago, it was a 42hz Tline, and was swapabable from a ISO design with 2- 15s, a Bandpass design with 1- 15" or a choked tline with 1- 15"

In bandpass mode, it dumped on the lows like crazy, it was loudest as choked ( chamber behind the woofer)

for 1800w/rms doing 146db on music, and burped a 147.## on the high side for burping, I think it was a very successful box, to bad I sold it for $40

sundown.jpg

Archived