Mechman Alternators

Mechman 300a Alt Install *instant 0.7db*

Vehicle: '93 Ford Explorer Sport

Engine: 4.0L v6

Amp: Sundown Audio saz-1500d

Subs: 2 15" Sundown Audio NightShades

Let's start at the beginning of this experience. When MechMan put their 300a alts on sale I jumped on it. From the time I ordered these they were on my doorstep in 6 business days. Thats quick for 3 custom built alternators.

3 300a MechMan alts and an external adjustable regulator.

Posted Image

1 is for my Explorer. The other 2 & external regulator are for my brother's Excursion. I'll post more on that one later.

Posted Image

Old setup. G31 YellowTop and a 200a alternator.

Posted Image

Battery and intake pipe removed.

Posted Image

Alt removed.

Posted Image

Old 200a on left, MechMan 300a on right. Notice the smaller custom machined pulley.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

1/0 lugs included for doing the big 3.

Posted Image

teamnemesissundown-1.jpg

1/0awg Knukonceptz Kollosus Fleks Kable used for big 3 wiring.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Alt installed.

Posted Image

XS Power d3100 installed. This is strictly about the alts. I'll do a comparison between the batts later.

Posted Image

Charges at 14.7v cold and 14.4v warm.

Posted Image

A couple random pics.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Lonely XS Power d3100 in the back.

Posted Image

Now for the good stuff; The Results!

First burp with the engine off as a baseline it hit a 150.2 (sorry no pic). With the engine on and idling around 600-700rpm it hit a 150.5. Yes this alt puts out good power at idle.

Posted Image

Last test holding 1500rpm it hit a 150.9.

Posted Image

Edited by Derrick824

teamnemesissundown-1.jpg

I'm running my saz-1500d @ 0.25ohm so it's current draw is higher than normal. Voltage fell from 14.4v to 13.6v at full tilt. I haven't measured current draw of the amp, wattage output of the amp, or current output of the alt yet but will go more in depth with that stuff later. Wired at 1ohm for daily and Bass Race my voltage doesn't move at all.

Time to get rid of that Optima decal.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Replaced with XS Power and MechMan decals.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Stay tuned. More testing to come.

teamnemesissundown-1.jpg

To add a little more info to this, with my old 200a alt I would fall straight to 12.9v (battery resting voltage) during a full tilt burp. It couldn't keep up at all and if I didn't have two large batteries sustaining that 12.9v I'm sure the voltage would have dropped more than that. The MechMan has no trouble providing enough power.

In local competitions I'm limited to a max 2000rpms in the lanes. Since NSPL won't let you manually rev the engine I have to rig a throttle hook under the hood to hold the rpms up for me. Once I turn up the volume and the alt kicks into high gear the engine drops to 1500rpms cause of the extra load. If I was allowed to manually rev the engine and hold it at 2000rpm (typically max output rpm for alts) it probably wouldn't even fall below 14v.

What this means is that I don't need an extra battery in the back at all. Nor do I need such a large battery under the hood. I bet i could drop a single small lawn mower battery in here and do the same or similiar #s since the alternator is supplying plenty of juice by itself and I'm not relying on the batteries to supplement it. All you guys who are just adding batteries instead of upgrading your alternator really need to re-think your game plan. It is much more beneficial to upgrade your alternator than add extra batteries.

teamnemesissundown-1.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

MechMan alts ftw

2003 Ford F-150 Reg Cab layin body on 26's

2003 Tahoe 3/5 drop on 26's with a 408cid Supercharged engine.

2011 Camaro 2SS 2005 VW GTI Stage II ECU, CAI, 3" turbo back exhaust, FMIC, lowered 2" on some plastidipped 18's

2003 Hayabusa lowered, stretched, cams, nitrous and custom paint