well ok.. we got a new central heat and air unit about maybe a month or two ago and every time it kicks on every light in house dims.. is this normal or no? i just find it weird it does it.. lol. like the lamps dim the tv dims a little the computer screen dims.. like everything that has a light to it it dims..

Edited by bossgator

four sundown 3500s

four IA death penalties 18 in

in a chevy 1500

x 2 on bigger unit. probley is larger, measured in tons.you may just have to get used to the dimming it will never stop. i imagine it draws alot when the compressor kicks in. in the winter the dimming wont be as bad or at all when you run the heater depending on if its heat pump or has coils.

American Bass*DC Power

last one we had died like 5-6 years ago and we never had money to get one but my dad promised he would get us(for me for christmas) one since i told him we needed one but then he past so with the money i got i bought one for us(me and my mom) im 17 still so i live with her at the house.. but the last one it never dimmed but im sure its stronger because that one that died was hella old

four sundown 3500s

in a chevy 1500

i would have to say that you need more amperage , it prob has something to do with the amount of power coming in from the main line thru the meeter. you may only have 100 amp service and might need to upgrade to 200 amp service to have everything powerd properly... to test out my theroy , turn off everything in the house (water heater as well) and turn on one light and then turn on the ac and see if the 1 light dims if it doesnt then that means the 60 amps of power for the ac is being deliverd and the 5 amps for the light.... but then turn on the water heater and 1 light then turn the ac on and see if you get the diming....

im certian it has to do with amperage aval from the meeter to the main house just like our cars we have audio and draw too much amperage we get diming.

Americas loudest work van2006 iasca heavyweight bassboxing champion at 150.4 db with 60second average TL8 memphis PR15s,12 memphis PR6.5's coax,4 memphis PR 1inch tweets

i googled your problem and came with this.....

http://www.askthebuilder.com/QA_Lights_Dim..._Comes_On.shtml

Air conditioners, refrigerators, freezers, furnaces, etc. that have large motors require enormous amounts of power when the motor first starts to spin up to speed. I am talking huge amounts of energy. Once the motor is spinning, the energy requirement drops way down.

This instantaneous need for motor shaft speed is what causes that momentary dimming of your lights. AC units come equipped with start-up capacitors. These give the motor an electric boost when it first starts up. But over time, these capacitors can get weak and become ineffective. Eventually the power draw can become so enormous, the actual circuit breakers protecting the wiring to the units can pop from the current.

Your air conditioning system may also be overcharged with too much refrigerant. When this happens it puts lots of stress on the compressor and in turn the motor when it tries to get the compressor engine moving.

Relocating the pole would do little to solve the problem. I would ask your AC service man to look to see if your AC unit is overcharged or if it needs new start-up capacitors.

Tim

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I received this email on 12/05/05:

DEAR TIM: The answers to this problem can also be that the conductors pulled in by the homeowner are too small to prevent the voltage drop being created over 200 feet. The problem could also be with additional homes having been added to the high voltage lines. That will also cause the dips. If surges get serious enough it can affect modern day electronics.

Americas loudest work van2006 iasca heavyweight bassboxing champion at 150.4 db with 60second average TL8 memphis PR15s,12 memphis PR6.5's coax,4 memphis PR 1inch tweets

i googled your problem and came with this.....

http://www.askthebuilder.com/QA_Lights_Dim..._Comes_On.shtml

Air conditioners, refrigerators, freezers, furnaces, etc. that have large motors require enormous amounts of power when the motor first starts to spin up to speed. I am talking huge amounts of energy. Once the motor is spinning, the energy requirement drops way down.

This instantaneous need for motor shaft speed is what causes that momentary dimming of your lights. AC units come equipped with start-up capacitors. These give the motor an electric boost when it first starts up. But over time, these capacitors can get weak and become ineffective. Eventually the power draw can become so enormous, the actual circuit breakers protecting the wiring to the units can pop from the current.

Your air conditioning system may also be overcharged with too much refrigerant. When this happens it puts lots of stress on the compressor and in turn the motor when it tries to get the compressor engine moving.

Relocating the pole would do little to solve the problem. I would ask your AC service man to look to see if your AC unit is overcharged or if it needs new start-up capacitors.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I received this email on 12/05/05:

DEAR TIM: The answers to this problem can also be that the conductors pulled in by the homeowner are too small to prevent the voltage drop being created over 200 feet. The problem could also be with additional homes having been added to the high voltage lines. That will also cause the dips. If surges get serious enough it can affect modern day electronics.

I was an A/C repairman....this is exactly what I would say... Check the wires around and at the cap first before dragging an A/C man out for 70 or so bucks. Make sure you kill the power first though.

A vitrolic, megalomaniacal sadistic psychopath.

ill have my mom boyfriend check it when he gets home wednesday.. hes an electrician(sp?) also my mom and dad divorced in 96 and her and her boyfriend been dating 10years so dont think my mom just got a boyfriend after my dad died. and i got plenty money from it so me and my mom are good.. im glad to have it back aswell because window units SUCKED.

four sundown 3500s

in a chevy 1500