Sonic Electronix

Am I Going To Be The First Person The Have "watercooled" Amps?

If you are going to water cool, you need to water cool the internals, not the case.

The internal heat transfers to the outter casing through convection. I'll be cooling the outer case. I'm not going to say this is going to keep the amp ice cold to the touch, but every little bit might help. Shit, it was 96degrees here today in the ATL area, just listening to the radio at near regular volume, makes my MD3D slightly warm to the touch. So with cooling the outside shell of the amp, it will at least stay as close to ambient temp as possible, which in turn should keep the internal parts that touch the outter shell, cooler as well.

I love my staffie :good:

So anti FACEBOOK it isn't even funny

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If i remember right the Bazooka amps were cooled by anti-freeze...not just water and they were designed to cool the boards not the cases. The PPI's were on the same idea but before my time so I am not to par with the ins & outs of them.

"I don't bullshit. I do what I say & say what I mean."

Final_TopKick_Soundstream-1.jpg

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2925230

http://www.armoredhaulin.com

we have a watercooled bazooka amp in my electronics class that we fixed.

you can cook bacon shirtless if you're not a pussy...lol

not hatin, but am i wrong here it looks as if the amp is not grounded its hooked directly to the battery. it that the way it should be.

intr.jpg

DC.jpgDC POWER

You can also look into Thermoelectric plates.

The exchange at the amps is pretty straight forward. Cooling the fluid to a useful temp will be the bulk of the design.

Good luck with the build.

Designing, building, and shipping boxes. Yahoo IM - kingsuv00If the listening level is too loud, please inform the driver, so he can promptly pull over, and let you out.

not many cars can get me to pluggin my ears but this one.......damn. I mean the first minute is ok but that thing just really starts digging deeper and deeper in your earhole till you cant stand it no more. Seems like it does it with relative ease....16 12's on 8 amps.........gotta love it. :)

Peltiers for the win, it's not like you have a shortage of high-current 12vdc on hand ;)

Watercooling the outside of amps is inefficient. And you have the wrong term above, head is CONDUCTED not CONVECTED from the inside of the amp.

To put it in PC terms, what you're proposing is kinda like having a huge aluminium heatsink sitting on your CPU and then attaching a waterblock to the side of it. It's inefficient because your heat goes silicon -> heatspreader -> heatsink -> waterblock -> water -> radiator -> air

Currently it just goes silicon -> heatspreader -> heatsink -> air

I'm not saying it won't be cooler but the huge number of relatively poor thermal junctions will make it suck. You would be better off machining channels in the heatsink and using that as the waterblock.

Even better, you could do away with the heatsink and machine your own custom copper waterblocks that you screw the transistors directly to. THAT would be properly badass. While you're at it you could even lap the transistors for better cooling :)

Also I don't think having rads in the glove box would work - you're talking 2 very very long runs of tubing (flow fail) and a pretty crappy place for the rad. I'd put it in front of the port for added cooling :lol: :hairtrick:

Edited by Boon

goodgrammarbc7.gif

10.x volts fo' life!

Peltiers for the win, it's not like you have a shortage of high-current 12vdc on hand ;)

Watercooling the outside of amps is inefficient. And you have the wrong term above, head is CONDUCTED not CONVECTED from the inside of the amp.

To put it in PC terms, what you're proposing is kinda like having a huge aluminium heatsink sitting on your CPU and then attaching a waterblock to the side of it. It's inefficient because your heat goes silicon -> heatspreader -> heatsink -> waterblock -> water -> radiator -> air

Currently it just goes silicon -> heatspreader -> heatsink -> air

I'm not saying it won't be cooler but the huge number of relatively poor thermal junctions will make it suck. You would be better off machining channels in the heatsink and using that as the waterblock.

Even better, you could do away with the heatsink and machine your own custom copper waterblocks that you screw the transistors directly to. THAT would be properly badass. While you're at it you could even lap the transistors for better cooling :)

Also I don't think having rads in the glove box would work - you're talking 2 very very long runs of tubing (flow fail) and a pretty crappy place for the rad. I'd put it in front of the port for added cooling :lol: :hairtrick:

Some great ideas there boon, thanks. I know the tubing run was VERY long, The D5 can typically compensate for about 11-13 feet due to its head pressure. I am going to draw this all out here and when done, i'll post it up.

I love my staffie :good:

So anti FACEBOOK it isn't even funny

Ive asked this question before. i think someone said that amps work best around room temp, im not sure on that though.

But I think it would be badass :D

Edited by finkster

DAT 4125------>RE XXX comps active

Eclipse cd7000

I serve drunks for a living :D