Sonic Electronix

Am I Going To Be The First Person The Have "watercooled" Amps?

Gary Biggs sold a Kicker XS100 that was modded for water cooling on Ebay a few years back but I don't don't know if I still have proof of the amp.

Isobaric - Refers to the practice of coupling two drivers together to make them act as one.

"Giving up doesn't always mean you are weak; sometimes it means that you are strong enough to let go."

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

The Destruction of a person builds character.

Terryswork001.png

Ive asked this question before. i think someone said that amps work best around room temp, im not sure on that though.

But I think it would be badass :D

That depends on what biased it is.

Class A,A/B,B.

Boon will clarifiy but class A/B was designed to deal with the short commings of a full class A design.

I'm not for sure or explaining this rite but Class A/B = Warm biasing desiegn so overall useful in any tempatures.

Isobaric - Refers to the practice of coupling two drivers together to make them act as one.

"Giving up doesn't always mean you are weak; sometimes it means that you are strong enough to let go."

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Terryswork001.png

Gary's watered cooled XS100.

GarysXS100pic01.jpg

GarysXS100pic02.jpg

GarysXS100pic03.jpg

GarysXS100pic04.jpg

Terryswork001.png

Well, mine will be setup way different. That is some small ass tubing. Like I said at the beginning, "IF" I can pull this off, I'll be using excellent quality stuff. 3/4od - 1/2id tubing, 320GPH pump, big rad, etc.....

I love my staffie :good:

So anti FACEBOOK it isn't even funny

Replacing fet holddowns with copper flow channels wouldn't be too hard to come up with. It would leave plenty of room on the ends for connectors.

Designing, building, and shipping boxes. Yahoo IM - kingsuv00If the listening level is too loud, please inform the driver, so he can promptly pull over, and let you out.

not many cars can get me to pluggin my ears but this one.......damn. I mean the first minute is ok but that thing just really starts digging deeper and deeper in your earhole till you cant stand it no more. Seems like it does it with relative ease....16 12's on 8 amps.........gotta love it. :)

Replacing fet holddowns with copper flow channels wouldn't be too hard to come up with. It would leave plenty of room on the ends for connectors.

yup, yup.....I have a machine shop near me with a waterjet to cut with. He and I will be working hand in hand with this.

I love my staffie :good:

So anti FACEBOOK it isn't even funny

If you need them cooled off that much you gotta bunch off air pumping out from the speaker box!!

Well given it's not a sealed enclosure..Have them mounted to where the port holes can fan them, not directly in front of it if your worried about vibration ruining the amps..but using a bit of that air cooling them I'm sure you'll be able to fabricate something to direct a tiny bit of that air towards them..

Peltiers for the win, it's not like you have a shortage of high-current 12vdc on hand ;)

Watercooling the outside of amps is inefficient. And you have the wrong term above, head is CONDUCTED not CONVECTED from the inside of the amp.

To put it in PC terms, what you're proposing is kinda like having a huge aluminium heatsink sitting on your CPU and then attaching a waterblock to the side of it. It's inefficient because your heat goes silicon -> heatspreader -> heatsink -> waterblock -> water -> radiator -> air

Currently it just goes silicon -> heatspreader -> heatsink -> air

I'm not saying it won't be cooler but the huge number of relatively poor thermal junctions will make it suck. You would be better off machining channels in the heatsink and using that as the waterblock.

Even better, you could do away with the heatsink and machine your own custom copper waterblocks that you screw the transistors directly to. THAT would be properly badass. While you're at it you could even lap the transistors for better cooling :)

Also I don't think having rads in the glove box would work - you're talking 2 very very long runs of tubing (flow fail) and a pretty crappy place for the rad. I'd put it in front of the port for added cooling :lol: :hairtrick:

My bad I just repeat what Boon said but yeah x 2 But also would love to see the H20 build!! Go for it and good luck!!

If you need them cooled off that much you gotta bunch off air pumping out from the speaker box!!

Well given it's not a sealed enclosure..Have them mounted to where the port holes can fan them, not directly in front of it if your worried about vibration ruining the amps..but using a bit of that air cooling them I'm sure you'll be able to fabricate something to direct a tiny bit of that air towards them..

i dont think his main concern is to cool them, but to do something cool just to say he did it

siggy.jpg