Building A Badass Pc, Ideas Please

what os are you going to run, on a sick over built computer like this, i think it'd be a sin to throw a microshit install on it.. i'd roll some slackware for sure

Team sundownWESTCOASTSPL.COM we're throwing dbdrag events very soon visit the website for details

i think ive made up my mind. i know im way overbuilding, but this should last for a while, and still i have alot of room to upgrade as well.

cpu- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16819115202

case- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16811129043

hdds- (6 of them, will be raid, i just want a ton of storage for movies and music) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16822136284

mobo- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813131365

power supply- http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817139007

probably the evga card you listed above

whats the difference in the memory timing, for example-

9-9-9-24 or 8-8-8-24

and the voltage 1.65v vs. 1.5v?

what is it that you didnt like with what I listed? Your going with a 290$ Asus board now, but before you were stressing over a 400 board. I picked out a great *NEAR* 200 board that will perform exactly the same as this 300 dollar board. Since you seem fine with spending 300 for a board, The gigabyte UD5 (non extreme) IS the best X58 motherboard i've ever had the pleasure of playing with. OC's far better, runs much cooler, and better NB tweaking for SLi, X-Fire (16x16x8x) Where as your Asus is 16x16x1x. The Gigabyte is a better board all around. I also find it to have a MUCH more stable BIOS. Asus is still having issues with the memory subsytem settings in there bioses (this is hit or miss)

You seem to want to stick with eVGA for a GPU. Well this is great, as they offer a solid customer service, but you are limiting yourself to nvidia GPU's now, and if you main concern is movies, blu-ray, etc, like you said in your first post, I think your making a mistake by not considering ATi. For hard core game, and im not talking about 1-2 games in a 6 month time, im talking about if your MAIN CONCERN is games, then a Evga GTX295/GTX285 x2 is what you would want. Since gaming is not your main concern, an ATi 4890/4780 will be faster then, or same as the performance of a GTX275 and ATi offers the BEST hardware acceleration of movies, blu-ray, divx, etc...... ATi in my opinion offers the best color output as-well, and all im trying to do is save you some money, and get you hardware that will benefit you more.

**EDiT* Core i5 is also coming out soon. Keep that in mind

I love my staffie :good:

So anti FACEBOOK it isn't even funny

this the GB mobo you're talking about?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813128362

Yes sir, that is a bad mutha fucker! OCing on that board is seemless. I had a i920 @ 4.12GHz (HT ENABLED ASWELL, so 4cores, plus 4 logical cores) using 1.32v 12hr 100% loaded on watercooling completely stable. The ASUS P6T-DLX (older version) would only get that cpu @ 3.86 stable. Dont let the voltage stable of a motherboard fool you, asus proclaims that there "16 stage VRM's" is the best of the best, while they are better then most, GB has them beat 10 fold, PLUS the GB boards VRM's "MIGHT" get to 50-55c in temp, where as the asus boards VRM's (chocks) get scalding hot. Asus's heatsinks blow donkey balls, and I also find myself removing the stock heatsinks and re-applying AS5/MX compound to achieve a better contact surface. GB still uses the same *shit* compound, but there heatsinks are useally screwed down (depending on the revision you are sent) GB just has the better board this time around. But like I said in my above post, WATCH OUT! The new skt 1156 i5's are coming out shortly and offer alot of performance for the dollar.

what is it that you didnt like with what I listed? Your going with a 290$ Asus board now, but before you were stressing over a 400 board. I picked out a great *NEAR* 200 board that will perform exactly the same as this 300 dollar board. Since you seem fine with spending 300 for a board, The gigabyte UD5 (non extreme) IS the best X58 motherboard i've ever had the pleasure of playing with. OC's far better, runs much cooler, and better NB tweaking for SLi, X-Fire (16x16x8x) Where as your Asus is 16x16x1x. The Gigabyte is a better board all around. I also find it to have a MUCH more stable BIOS. Asus is still having issues with the memory subsytem settings in there bioses (this is hit or miss)

You seem to want to stick with eVGA for a GPU. Well this is great, as they offer a solid customer service, but you are limiting yourself to nvidia GPU's now, and if you main concern is movies, blu-ray, etc, like you said in your first post, I think your making a mistake by not considering ATi. For hard core game, and im not talking about 1-2 games in a 6 month time, im talking about if your MAIN CONCERN is games, then a Evga GTX295/GTX285 x2 is what you would want. Since gaming is not your main concern, an ATi 4890/4780 will be faster then, or same as the performance of a GTX275 and ATi offers the BEST hardware acceleration of movies, blu-ray, divx, etc...... ATi in my opinion offers the best color output as-well, and all im trying to do is save you some money, and get you hardware that will benefit you more.

**EDiT* Core i5 is also coming out soon. Keep that in mind

the asus i posted is 16x16x1 or 16x16x8.

the asus you posted is 16x16x4.

GB is 16 16 8. Optimal setup for physx. For gaming now, I would get 2 GTX275 (or 1 GTX295, as this card is 2 GTX275 on 1 PCB) and get a 9800GT to do physx acceleration, which will off load 1000's of cycles of the GPU, and solely let the 9800GT to do physx. See what im saying. If your never going to run multi card setups, then forget all about this nonsense. That 200 asus board will be perfect for what your needing a PC to do. Doesnt sound like your looking for a hardcore OC that will need watercooling, or phase cooling, so why spend the extra money on hardware that you will never benefit from. Get that 200asus board, i920 cpu, and 6GB of what ever ram (dont get any ram that have timings greater then 8/8/8) and everything will plug right along. I dont know what PC your currently using, but an I7 CPU, 6GB ram, and an X58 chipset mobo, will be fantastic, and you will be amazed at the performance if set up correctly (no auto bullshit settings in BIOS)

Also, you should have waited on the HDD purchase. WD is coming out with these BEASTS which have 64mb ram cache, and I believe each 2TB drive operates on a raid0 internally. Holy shit that would be a fast single HDD. Put 3 of these together, and shit would be smoking fast. ( http://www.techpowerup.com/97412/WD_Caviar...he_Spotted.html )

Archived