Mechman Alternators

Um... so i think i broke something

Ive got a 250 mechman alt in my honda. It got a bad squeak on start up and when i have the system on full tilt. so i thought i would build a bracket for an idler pulley to help wrap the belt around the alt pulley. So i start out and loosen the adjustment nut, its down it a tight spot. i start fiddlin around, start to stand up and BIG sparks. the wrench i was using touched one of the metal parts of an A/C line and im guessing the pos post on the alt. so i just said oops. unhooked the positive on the alt. and kept workin. I finally got things finished and turned my car on. not squeak... at first. But i noticed my radio had reset itself like it does when i disconnect the battery. but i didnt. i only disconnected the alt. also i look at my voltmeter and its at 12.8. Whats wrong here? I dont thing the alt is completely out because the car would be running at less than 12.8 right? or no.. my batteries are one kinetik 1800 and two 2400s. Did i break something??

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

frp, tje spimd topf it yeah u fucked somethign uop man

2015 Honda Civic LX 4dr | 24k miles

Stock H/U and mids/highs

Power Acoustik GW3-12" D2 Sub

HiFonics BXX1200.1D @ 1ohm

Random 2.5^3' dual ported box

NVX LOC

Stinger wiring throughout 

1977 Chevy SWB

Cammed 350

Dual exhaust

Cheap Wish stereo

Wow Eric, drunk much?

And did you try replacing the actual belt altogether?

yea, i got a new belt again. its still a little loose right now. the squealing didnt even happen when i started the car again. but then after i turned it off, checked some stuff, then turned it back on it was back to squealin, but not as bad as it did.

i think im gonna throw teh stock alt back in tomorrow and figure out how to mount the idler pulley better.

ok. so i decided to just work backwards to find out if the problem was the belt, the alt, or the car. it was just the belt.

so now im stuck trying to figure out another way to mount the idler pulley to get better grip.

your batteires will sit a 12.8 for awhile while driving around as long as your not putting to big of a load on them but when you start the car the alt will kick on and start charging the batts so the voltage should go up if the alt is working sounds to me like you fried something and have you tried just getting just a hair smaller belt to get rid of the squel?

Roseville, CA

your batteires will sit a 12.8 for awhile while driving around as long as your not putting to big of a load on them but when you start the car the alt will kick on and start charging the batts so the voltage should go up if the alt is working sounds to me like you fried something and have you tried just getting just a hair smaller belt to get rid of the squel?

its not the alt anymore. i put it back to how i had it and its back up to normal voltage. ive already got a smaller belt. Im goin to get a stickier belt soon. maybe that will fix it till i figure out a way to get better wrap around the pulley. But on a side note. ive been demoing my setup with a slowed version of late night tip. everyone i know loves it. I just did another demo at nine in the mornin.

its not the alt anymore. i put it back to how i had it and its back up to normal voltage. ive already got a smaller belt. Im goin to get a stickier belt soon. maybe that will fix it till i figure out a way to get better wrap around the pulley. But on a side note. ive been demoing my setup with a slowed version of late night tip. everyone i know loves it. I just did another demo at nine in the mornin.

Told you fool Gates belts(Oreillys) or gatorback belts :friends:

Edited by Duaber

Team Sundown

Team XS Power

System:

Car: 1997 Honda Accord

Head unit: Alpine CDE-7870

Amp: 2 Sundown saz-1500

Battery: kinetik 1400 and 2400

Subs: 2 Audioque HD310 D2