Sonic Electronix

HDMI Input on a car audio amp

Optical pens hdmi for audio signal

2008 California state record holder 157.2 Bassrace2009 California state record holder 157.0 BassraceRollin 50's 158.7db2009 King of Cali Bassrace2009 USACi score 160.5 @ 42hz

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I also have all monoprice HDMI cables. They are cheap and work great. I have heard that Blue Jeans Cable are very high quality and are still not too expensive. If you're looking for a bit higher quality than monoprice maybe give them a look.

2002 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi

Pioneer DEH-P6000UB

Alpine SPX-17REF 6.5" components (active)

Sundown SAX-50.4

Sundown z15 (3 cubes @ 35 hz)

Sundown SAX-1200D

2006 Buick Rainier CXL AWD V8

Stock Bose system

12" Alpine Type E in aeroported box

Profile AP1000M

ok, well that makes more sense. I'd still like to see an amp that just had an input for an optical or HDMI, the less converters the better :)

hdmi is mainly for video, why do you keep asking about an audio amp having a video cable?

just say digital.

and there are a few out there.

I cant get you 2 different amps with digital in, they start at 3600.00

how much power do you need?

If your just asking questions then fine, but keep poking around and you have no intention of buying 1 then why even ask the question?

2008 California state record holder 157.2 Bassrace2009 California state record holder 157.0 BassraceRollin 50's 158.7db2009 King of Cali Bassrace2009 USACi score 160.5 @ 42hz

why do HDMI for audio only? Isnt the real benefit of HDMI the video?

Ed Lester

ShowtimeSPL Host

Showtime Electronics Video Marketing

My old Build Log
http://www.stevemead...08/#entry511451

http://www.youtube.com/showtimespl

TeamDeadlyHertz-HHREd.png

5 time dB Drag Finalist
Last ride 2007 HHR, current dB 153.5 and bass race 149.4 dB. 153.0 dB on music

New Ride, 2008 HHR SS. Build under way.
Loudest score ever = 171dB
2009 dB Drag Racing, North American Points Champion

Yes the main purpose of HDMI is the ability to send video @ 1080/60p... Due it's extreme bandwidths.

That is why they use optical on amps, they do not need a video feed. Your problem is pretty simple, run a vga or dvi cable to your monitor and run some rca's or optical cables depending on your amp.

Also about running 30k systems in cars. Most don't do that, they have most likely dedicated that vehicle to a competition or a bass race. Which makes it practical for them.

777319156.png

HDMI cables aren't just aren't practical in car audio. They don't "lock" into place, so it would keep vibrating out. Not just from bass, but from regular driving as well.

good point, didnt think of that one

And Im going to make a better point..

RCA cables dont "lock" into place and those dont vibrate out...

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/public/style_emoticons/default/01nocomment8so.gif

I'm asking because its less cables to run, HDMI also carries a 5.1 audio signal, and if I can run 1 type of cable I'd rather have one 1 HDMI cable to the back, it seems more efficient and less of a hassle, especially if the amp has a loop out. And yes, in the next year to year and a half I'm planning on buying one, and only one. I do like the ARC audio amp, but the car to showcase our product is going to be a kit car and I'd like the speakers I put in it to be light weight. No matter what I do the audio portion will be built WITH the car.

Here Is the motherboard I'm working with.

Here is the car the system is going in.

Actually HDMI carries up to 8 channels of audio currently. Plus I am pretty sure you are not going to run a 5.1 system in your car. It's probably going a 4 channel amp and another amp for the woofers.

Can you elaborate on the full system (monitors,etc) and the amps you have in mind. IMO wiring is the best part of car audio!

777319156.png

Since there isnt many little 8 inch monitors that will go in the dash that will do HD, I was going to mold a 15 inch widescreen touch, then have a 30 inch LCD in the back.

I'm pretty sure there's no real interior door panels, and I'm trying to add less than 500 pounds to the car with the audio setup, so a thin, light sound deading material.

The motherboard has optical out and HDMI, it will also drive a thermlab, GPS, Bluetooth and have a blue ray player along with whatever software the engine management computer has, probably greddy based.

Yes, I was going to try to do 5.1 out. The car is a kit car, so I'm going to have to custom make whatever goes into it anyway. I wanted to start planning and getting idea's now, so when I do this, there isnt another 6 months of planning that goes into it. I'm probably going to have to wait that long to get the kit anyway.

I havent decided on speakers yet, I know I'm asking for the world with a light, loud speaker that will hit hard and have decent SQ, but hey, a man can dream.

Archived