Sonic Electronix

Alright, so I was driving my mom's Suburban today, and had to bass up and noticed its nothing.

I mean, for stock, its decent, but not good enough.

So I asked her, and she said as long as its ok with dad, I can put in a sub, but not a big system.

First, I have a question.

Would I need a new headunit?

I realize it would perform better with a new HU and everything, but is it absolutely necessary?

Now, can you guys give me suggestions?

All I want is something to give it tiny bit of kick, but I want it to be loud enough to when I'm driving it alone, I can have some fun with it.

I also need suggestions for an amp to go with it.

If I need a new HU, could you also suggest a nice, cheap one with the basics? (AM/FM and cd)

If it doesn't bump the price up too much, I would also like an iPod ready one, but its not necessary.

So then, thanks for the help, and if you need anymore information, I'd be glad to tell you what you need to know.

On 2/28/2013 at 2:52 PM, Chaise said:

"Now spread your butt cheeks so I can zap your asshole."

2008 Subaru Forester XT

I would say get a 10 or two believe it or not I had a memphis PR 10" in a 2 cubic foot box tuned to 33hz on 250rms and it slamed in a dodge caravan.

So if your lookin for a lil bump in the burban and not a huge build and wanting to keep the price down then I would say 1 or 2 10's

Look into the DC Lvl 2 or 3's DC's web site

The Lvl 2's are 300rms and the Lvl 3's are 600rms.

Then you could just find a good amp that gives out that power and the wiring and crap then you'll be set. Oh and no prefab box's!

I just bought this Kenwood HU and love it.

If you have any other questions just ask. ;)

2 Infinity Reference 1252w 12s

4.2 cubic foot box tuned to 28hz

Sub amp: 1 Profile AP1200

Speaker amp: 1 Sony Xplod XM-504z

Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X492

4 and 8 Gauge Knu

Big III In 1/0

All in my 90 Accord

f05112e8-c6ca-4f78-9a8d-47be99303c8b_zps

Diamonds are forever, but 9's end that shit fast....

I'll be honest with you, I'm a complete noob when it comes to anything with this.

All I know is, I want some bass... Haha.

I really want to learn what I can...

So, what is rms, and how do you "tune" a box?

I know, complete noob here, but whatever, I want to learn.

Also, when installing, I won't be going alone. My brother knows alot about this stuff, but he moved out about a month ago, so I don't see him that much anymore. I'll get him to teach me to install and whatever.

And, you never answered the one question, it is absolutely necessary to get a new HU?

2008 Subaru Forester XT

You don't need a HU, you can get a line output converter at wal-mart for 20 bucks but I like my Kenwood. lol.

You could use a pre fab box if you don't have "the skills" to build a custom box because you'll get bum either way.

RMS is Root Mean Square basically what amount of power a sub can take all day without getting damaged.

Tuning - building a custom box is just for better output and sound and sometimes better on the sub but it's not a necessity.

here is a website to build and tune a virtual box Re enclosure builder tune between 30 and 40 hz but you'll get better output and sound for a daily setup tuning to 33 to 38hz.

Oh and it's all good that you're a "noob" at this stuff, we all start their. Just look around on the forum, you'll learn a lot!

Edited by brsteinbach

Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X492

4 and 8 Gauge Knu

Big III In 1/0

All in my 90 Accord

I don't know what your budget is but I will throw out some good products.

So first I would suggest getting a Fi Q they are a very nice sounding sub which means your mom would approve but when you are driving by yourself they can get loud quickly.

Second is the amp to power the sub. If you get two subs go with dual 1 ohm voice coils so you can push the most power from the amp to them or if you get one sub get dual 2 so you can still wire down to 1 ohm for most power. Sundown is a very nice quality amp and for the month of July they are having a huge sale so jump on it quick. The SAZ-1000D will power 1 Q very nicely and it is rated at 1,000 watts at 1 ohm.

RMS is what you want to look at in both subs and amps. It is the Root Mean Square and is the ideal wattage that your subs can handle. Like other brands Fi will take more than the RMS but don't push it too much.

I have a Tahoe and I use the Alpine CDA-9884 which is iPod ready. You don't necessarily need a head unit but it will be easier if you are wanting iPod controls through the deck. Also I bought mine from Crutchfield because it comes with the adapter plate for your car and has tons of instructions.

Good luck :)

Wouldnt be thehoe92 without teh purple

Is this what you are talking about?

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?...uct_id=10756155

Also, thanks for your help so far!

edit-

Sorry, that was to brsteinbach.

Budget isn't really too much of a problem, I just don't want to spend too much.

Honestly, I don't even know a ball park figure to throw, I just don't really want "top of the line" stuff.

Just something that will sound good, and can get decently loud.

I only plan on getting 1 sub, but if the price difference isn't too much, I might go with 2.

Edited by imnotmikal

2008 Subaru Forester XT

I said it before about the Sundown amp you can't beat it for the price being offered right now.

Also an iPod ready Alpine head unit for $135 from a place that usually has a little bit higher prices is a steal.

Subs is your choice just make sure you get the ohm loads right.

The LOC I was talking about is this one. but the other one might be the same and what not but I got this one at wal-mart for 20 bucks and it works great for a factory HU (I had the ten in my grandma's van on a factory HU)

Oh and what thehoe92 put up is some great stuff and he ain't lyin about the Q. My friend has a 12 and it gets loud, low, and sounds great.

Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X492

4 and 8 Gauge Knu

Big III In 1/0

All in my 90 Accord

If you don't mind me asking, how do you install one of those?

If it's too much to explain right now, that's fine.

I have a feeling once I actually get it and the amp and subs and what not, it will look a little easier.

But I would like to know how to do it in advance.

2008 Subaru Forester XT

Honestly I would save the hassle and get the Alpine.

If you buy from Crutchfield I forgot to add that they also give you all the harnesses necessary to complete the install so it makes it way easier on you.

That HU also has 3 pre-outs for Front, Rear, and Sub.

do you have Bose speakers?