Repair Shops Hack Your Laptops

If you have another laptop or computer available, you can pull the hard drive out and use one of these USB 2.0 to SATA/IDE Adapter it will connect any IDE or SATA hard drive (3.5" and 2.5") to your usb port. Then you can make a backup on the other computer. I always keep one of those on hand, best $23 I ever spent.

It will show up on the computer as just another hard drive and you can copy your files off of it or use a backup utility to backup the whole drive.

Thats a good idea, why didn't I think of that. One of my buddies just pulled his hard drive and did something like that

03' Reg Cab 2500HD

Alpine 9807 H/U

Infinity Ref 6.5" Front Speakers

Pioneer 4"x6" Rear Speakers

Quantum Audio 1100.1 Amp

PPI 5 Channel Amp

Kicker 05' S12L5's <~ thats plural baby

^^ I feel like an idiot for not thinking about that...

My comp setup (Not bad for what it is):

HP Compaq Presario V6120US laptop with:

15.4" widescreen

AMD Turion 64 X2 1.6GHz processor

2x1GB stick DDR2 SDRAM (667 Mhz)

Seagate Momentus 500GB SATA HDD

128MB shared video memory

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

12 cell Lithium Ion battery (actual battery usage time: 6 hours)

What it does:

635670364.png4532707.png

On a USB 2.0 Wireless card

The main thing to remember is to connect it in this order:

If its an IDE laptop drive, you don't have too hook up power, just plug the USB adapter to the hard drive, and THEN plug the USB cable into the computer

If its a SATA laptop drive or any 3.5" drive, connect the USB adapter to the drive and then connect the power adapter to the drive. THEN, plug the power adapter into the wall outlet, THEN plug the USB cable into the computer.

97 Maxima SE

Bunch of shit going in, check out the build

alpine_logo.jpgSundown_Banner.jpgxspower.png

The main thing to remember is to connect it in this order:

If its an IDE laptop drive, you don't have too hook up power, just plug the USB adapter to the hard drive, and THEN plug the USB cable into the computer

If its a SATA laptop drive or any 3.5" drive, connect the USB adapter to the drive and then connect the power adapter to the drive. THEN, plug the power adapter into the wall outlet, THEN plug the USB cable into the computer.

Theoretically speaking, what would happen if I plugged in the USB cable, then plugged into the wall?

In my case I don't have that option. My drive adapter is USB powered. :D

You may be offended by the above. Don't take it personally, I'm just abrasive.

DC Level 4 M2 12 D2

Car Audio Bargain 1600.1

Eclipse CD3200

~2 cubes @ 34 hz.

Stinger Roadkill Expert

this really sucks...but if you think about it, people have been doing the same thing with car repair for years too....ah looks like ya need a new johnson rod...oh do I? well if I need it...

AA-Atomic-Clif Designs-DC-Diamond-Digital Designs-Directed-Eclipse-Fi-Hertz-Hifonics-Kenwood-Memphis-Phoenix Gold-Pioneer-PPI-PSi-Stinger-Sundown-TC Sounds-Viper-Zapco

Theoretically speaking, what would happen if I plugged in the USB cable, then plugged into the wall?

In my case I don't have that option. My drive adapter is USB powered. :D

Oh, nothing bad, but what happens, is that Windows will see the attached USB adapter and load the driver for it, but it will not see the drive even if you power up the drive after its plugged into the pc. The drive has to be powered on before you plug the usb into the pc, then it will load the mass storage driver properly. The only reason I recommend to plug the power cable into the drive before you plug it into the wall is because those little SATA power plugs can go on crooked if your not careful and short something out (smoke). The 4 pin molex power cables aren't so much a problem, but its just safer to plug it into the wall after its connected to the drive.

97 Maxima SE

Bunch of shit going in, check out the build

alpine_logo.jpgSundown_Banner.jpgxspower.png

Archived