Sonic Electronix

I'm a sports fisherman, and the way sponsors work in sports fishing is - Academy equips us with top notch shit (rods, reels, anything with ACADEMY written on it) just so we wear academy printed Columbia's and Visors when the cameras start rolling.

We're also sponsored by various hook companies, fishing lines, fighting chairs, even the braided lines on our skiff crane is sponsor-given, all in return to mention that we successfully use their product.

Now i understand the concept - Viewers see what brands we're using and being successful with, and hypothetically, that makes them buy the product.

I was wondering - do car audio companies sponsor nearly the same way?

How many of you are sponsored, and how has your sponsor helped you?

I was thinking - would AudioQ give me a discounted price (sponsorship) if i flaunted my Camaro to some local shows and SPL competitions with AudioQ equip, some AudioQ vinyls, and boasted their product?

I know none of you can answer for AQ, i was just wondering if that was the way car audio sponsorships work, and how might i go about getting sponsored?

My 91' Slowmaro - BTW. :search:

HPIM0548-1-2.jpg

Gallery.jpg

ebay2.jpg

1991 Chevrolet Camaro - 355ci, modded.

H/U - Alpine CDE - 9846

Components - Rockford Fosgate P1462/P1692

Drivers - (soon to be) 2- AudioQ HDC315-a's.

Amp - Audiopipe AP30001D.

that is how it works

issue with car audio is that everyone is willing to do that, and unless you have some sort of qualification or history a promise is not enough for a sponsorship. You may be able to save a few bucks and get a homie hook up, but you wont get sponsored. Yet. You kinda have to do something to prove yourself. Like build a car that wins events at spl or sql, or get in a magazine. Or pull a steve meade and get a million views on youtube or something.

at the end of the day you have to offer something to the company worth more to them than the products they would give you are.

Build: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/ind...hl=avalon+build

monster/rockford/kicker/stinger cables, pioneer source, jbl highs/amps, kinetik/shuriken batts, iraggi alt, dei security, dc subs(atleast for now)

Team DC

Well, because car shows and SPL comps are a niche market and dont get alot of exposure. (local shows are just that, local exposure)

Its not worth it for us to give out full sponsorships. It was worth it 10-20 years ago when the market was being built, but those days are over.

You can however, find certain manufacturers that give out competitor discounts and positions on a team. This is very close to being setup as a dealer, and the larger the company, the more difficult it is or impossible if the company is large enough. Unless you can offer mainstream exposure back to the manufacturer. i.e. a spot in a magazine, a showing on television or a movie.

A good example is Chip Foose and Arc Audio.

Ed Lester

ShowtimeSPL Host

Showtime Electronics Video Marketing

My old Build Log
http://www.stevemead...08/#entry511451

http://www.youtube.com/showtimespl

TeamDeadlyHertz-HHREd.png

5 time dB Drag Finalist
Last ride 2007 HHR, current dB 153.5 and bass race 149.4 dB. 153.0 dB on music

New Ride, 2008 HHR SS. Build under way.
Loudest score ever = 171dB
2009 dB Drag Racing, North American Points Champion

that is how it works

issue with car audio is that everyone is willing to do that, and unless you have some sort of qualification or history a promise is not enough for a sponsorship. You may be able to save a few bucks and get a homie hook up, but you wont get sponsored. Yet. You kinda have to do something to prove yourself. Like build a car that wins events at spl or sql, or get in a magazine. Or pull a steve meade and get a million views on youtube or something.

at the end of the day you have to offer something to the company worth more to them than the products they would give you are.

Yeah that makes sense bro.

H/U - Alpine CDE - 9846

^^^^^x2

I know that soundstream wanted me to go to 15 shows for level 1 sponsorship, 25 shows for level 2 and 25+ shows with magazine coverage for level 3. Thats a lot of shows for me bc there arent that many around.

Current System:

Pioneer 6900 HU

Front Stage: (for now)

Soundstream tarantula 5.25 in the doors

Soundstream tarantula 4x6 in the dash

Kenwood 400.4 for mids & highs

Bass:

4 Soundstream RW-12's

2 Power Acoustik Stax 4000/1D's

single chamber box, 2.65 cubes.

Currently under the knife being bagged

Rebuilding err'thang

Well, because car shows and SPL comps are a niche market and dont get alot of exposure. (local shows are just that, local exposure)

Its not worth it for us to give out full sponsorships. It was worth it 10-20 years ago when the market was being built, but those days are over.

You can however, find certain manufacturers that give out competitor discounts and positions on a team. This is very close to being setup as a dealer, and the larger the company, the more difficult it is or impossible if the company is large enough. Unless you can offer mainstream exposure back to the manufacturer. i.e. a spot in a magazine, a showing on television or a movie.

A good example is Chip Foose and Arc Audio.

Yeah i see what you're saying. And i'm brand new to car audio man, i can't tell a cone from a magnet it seems. I just wanted a little information on how shit works - i went with my brother to a few local shows and really liked what i saw and figured it's time to snag into another hobby. :spiteful:

H/U - Alpine CDE - 9846

Everything I am going to type out right now is my honest perspective as the owner of a 12 volt related company.

I know you have not asked me for a sponsorship but I will address this conversation towards you as if you had. Please take no offence at my blunt tone.

You have to remember, that sponsorship is a business agreement.

As the owner of a company, that is spending money on YOU, or at least takign a hit on some product, I have to know what I am getting out of the deal.

Remeber, If I have an advertising budget.

If I sponsor you, I might lose out on $750 worth of material.

The number 1 thing I have to consider when spending ad money is this:

Where is the best place for me to invest $750? Where will I get the most return on inventory (ROI) for my advertising dollar.

So, I could put up a magazine ad.

I could throw up some banner ads on a few websites

or, I could sponsor someone and hope it comes back to me.

So, now comes the point of ROI - We already have some magazine ads

If I am happy with the Banner ads I have out there then I have to be feeling like a nice guy and decide to sponsor someon.

But who?

I get between 1-3 requests every day for people looking for a free ride, promising to put a sticker on their car in exchange for free product.

Sure, it would be cool if I were the nice guy and sponsored veryone that asked, but really, at some point, I need to get something out of the deal too.

Decals at SPL shows are not enough for any type of consideration. Hell, kids put stickers on their cars for stuff they don't even have IN their cars.

I have never received a phone call from anyone saying that they wanted to buy my product because they saw a decal on some guys car at a show.

So out of all the guys that ask me for a sponsorship I have to figure out who deserves it.

Yup.. You have to seserve it.

Just becuase you are a kid with a lot of high end gear does not qualify you in my book. You have to be willing to promote my company to the extent that proves you are a worth sponsee. That they money I invest in to your system some how comes back to me.

So if I have 3 people that are looking for a sponsorship,

One is 17 and is trying to save money to go to college and promises that he will tell all his friends aobut Second Skin

Another is a 22 year old guy that has 2 years of SPL experience and hits 3 car shows per year

The last is a member of 20 car audio forums that has a youtube account that gets tons of hits. Drives a car that hits 40 car shows per year and has a 7 year history of taking home trophies with 10 existing sponsorships with companies that I know the owners of.

Who do you think is going to get the free ride?

Again, you have to deserve it.

Not everyone has to have a 10 year history in the lanes, but the difference between one guy withat is going to put stickers on his car, and another that will write up 20 build logs on 20 forums and make 5 before and after videos is quite large.

At the end of the day, I have to see a value in the money I spend on you, and it is up to you to prove to me that you are valuable to my company.

So, when you go send out your emails.

Be prepared.

Have a resume ready that outlines everything I will want to hear

A histroy of your 12v competition or industry experience

Include other comapnies that are sponsoring you

Include pics of your car

Give a time line for when you will have the car done, and pics presented to the company as proof

Know what products of MINE you want. Don't tell me that Dynamat turned you down so now you are looking for my DynOmat - I don't sell Dynamat and you should know that!

And lastly, do your best to tell me how you are going to make me look good and bring me customers that no one else is able to bring me.

That is how you get sponsored..

ANT

secondskin_468x60.gif

Everything I am going to type out right now is my honest perspective as the owner of a 12 volt related company.

I know you have not asked me for a sponsorship but I will address this conversation towards you as if you had. Please take no offence at my blunt tone.

You have to remember, that sponsorship is a business agreement.

As the owner of a company, that is spending money on YOU, or at least takign a hit on some product, I have to know what I am getting out of the deal.

Remeber, If I have an advertising budget.

If I sponsor you, I might lose out on $750 worth of material.

The number 1 thing I have to consider when spending ad money is this:

Where is the best place for me to invest $750? Where will I get the most return on inventory (ROI) for my advertising dollar.

So, I could put up a magazine ad.

I could throw up some banner ads on a few websites

or, I could sponsor someone and hope it comes back to me.

So, now comes the point of ROI - We already have some magazine ads

If I am happy with the Banner ads I have out there then I have to be feeling like a nice guy and decide to sponsor someon.

But who?

I get between 1-3 requests every day for people looking for a free ride, promising to put a sticker on their car in exchange for free product.

Sure, it would be cool if I were the nice guy and sponsored veryone that asked, but really, at some point, I need to get something out of the deal too.

Decals at SPL shows are not enough for any type of consideration. Hell, kids put stickers on their cars for stuff they don't even have IN their cars.

I have never received a phone call from anyone saying that they wanted to buy my product because they saw a decal on some guys car at a show.

So out of all the guys that ask me for a sponsorship I have to figure out who deserves it.

Yup.. You have to seserve it.

Just becuase you are a kid with a lot of high end gear does not qualify you in my book. You have to be willing to promote my company to the extent that proves you are a worth sponsee. That they money I invest in to your system some how comes back to me.

So if I have 3 people that are looking for a sponsorship,

One is 17 and is trying to save money to go to college and promises that he will tell all his friends aobut Second Skin

Another is a 22 year old guy that has 2 years of SPL experience and hits 3 car shows per year

The last is a member of 20 car audio forums that has a youtube account that gets tons of hits. Drives a car that hits 40 car shows per year and has a 7 year history of taking home trophies with 10 existing sponsorships with companies that I know the owners of.

Who do you think is going to get the free ride?

Again, you have to deserve it.

Not everyone has to have a 10 year history in the lanes, but the difference between one guy withat is going to put stickers on his car, and another that will write up 20 build logs on 20 forums and make 5 before and after videos is quite large.

At the end of the day, I have to see a value in the money I spend on you, and it is up to you to prove to me that you are valuable to my company.

So, when you go send out your emails.

Be prepared.

Have a resume ready that outlines everything I will want to hear

A histroy of your 12v competition or industry experience

Include other comapnies that are sponsoring you

Include pics of your car

Give a time line for when you will have the car done, and pics presented to the company as proof

Know what products of MINE you want. Don't tell me that Dynamat turned you down so now you are looking for my DynOmat - I don't sell Dynamat and you should know that!

And lastly, do your best to tell me how you are going to make me look good and bring me customers that no one else is able to bring me.

That is how you get sponsored..

ANT

I have to agree with Ant...most sponsors operate on a ROI policy...Return On Investment....meaning, will you be able to generate enough interest in their company and products to offset the $$$ they will be loosing givng you the products at the sponsorship price.

It is better for them to sponsor someone with a $100 piece of shit car that goes to shows or competitions every weekend vs. a $100,000 custom ride that never goes to anything... more advertisment= more in return to them.

With the economy in the toilet right now you will be very hard pressed to find any companies offering any kind of sponsorships right now unless you have something really special to offer them...and as much as I hate to say it, you can sometimes still buy you gear on the internet for less than what you can get at sponsorship price, really depends on the company.

Ant offered me sponsorship with him because of what I am building and my overall plans in the future for what I plan on doing with the truck when it is done. To him is is a great opurtunity to help promote his company and show off what his products can really do.

I have found it equally hard to get sponsors from either the big or small companies. The small companies would like to get their names out there but don't have alot of $$$ to throw around and the big companies have the $$$ but are already well established.

"I don't bullshit. I do what I say & say what I mean."

Final_TopKick_Soundstream-1.jpg

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2925230

http://www.armoredhaulin.com