Not impressed with current alternator technology :-(

Guest DC Power Kyle

Exactly... extreme dc voltage with hardly any current :)

It's the current that creates so much damn heat and usually causes alternator failures in todays world.

And by doing 450 amps at 12 volts what kind of voltage we talking about... like actually 12.0 volts? got to remember, the lower the voltage the more the current. the higher the voltage the lower the current it has to produce to get the same amount of wattage.

Watts = Voltage * Amperage

for example:

12 volts * 450 amps = 5400 watts

12.8 volts * 450 amps = 5760 watts

13.8 volts * 450 amps = 6210 watts

14.4 volts * 450 amps = 6480 watts

15.4 volts * 450 amps = 6930 watts

and now for 16 volt...

18.9 volts * 450 amps = 8505 watts

now to create the same amount of wattage at 14.4 at 18.9 we do:

6480 / 18.9 = 342 amps.

theoretically following that the generator can only generate 5760 watts maximum at 12.8 volts (we will give it the benefit of the doubt) we will then see how much current it can do at 14.4, 15.4 and 18.9

5760 watts/14.4 volts = 400 amps
5760 watts/15.4 volts = 374 amps
5760 watts/18.9 volts = 313 amps
so as you see.. it doesn't take as much current to create the same amount of wattage at higher voltages.

you also got to remember, that generator would throttle itself up to get that amount of amperage... it cannot do that amount of power at idle speeds.

Out of curiosity, why kind of car do you have Chris?

Hey Stephen, it didn't look too awefully large..... certainly no more than the cubic inches of SM's four 300 amp alts. Of course I understand that with smaller, but multiple alts, they can kind of be spread around, and squeezed in a little easier.

But again, in a pickup, or SUV, why would it have to be under the hood ? It could be anywhere, with the right gears, shafts, and linkages.

Hey DC, first let me reitterate, I didn't start this post because I believe nobody makes a strong enough alt for "my" purposes. I was asking why these big, bad-ass, WAY over the top 20Kwt and 30Kwt systems have to stack a bunch of "relatively" little, 300 alts together, to make enough power ? Somebody needs to make a 1500 amp generator, turned with 30 or 40 HP's, straight off of a big block V-8 and be freaking done with it ! You mentioned heat ? Liquid cool that beeotch ;)

Now, what do I have ? A little Hyundai Accent, which I'd like to upgrade for a future SQ stereo, to say a 130 or 150 amp alt. My F150 has a 140 amp alt, which I'd like to upgrade to one of your 250 amp alts...... and I'm sure those would be fine "for me".... at least right now. But I'm only running a "dinky" 1100 watt (mostly for SQ) type of system, and don't really ever see myself running more than say 3 or 4 Kwts. Which would still be pretty lightweight compared to some of these guys.

Peace,

Fish

The High Output Alt market is already a niche market, you have stated this, so now little payoff for your work (Small Return On Investment or ROI) Now think about it if you want to make a niche product for a niche market (the single 1,200A Alt) How much money R&D burns through on brand new products can be insane, Tooling the machinery to build the cases and other products is INSANE, Then you have to have a minimum order on most parts in the thousands of parts which is up front cost. Next you need a factory to assemble these parts. The assembly costs, the workers cost, the shipping between all these places costs. Now you have thousands of these alts, how many people are going to buy these products, being realistic, few. If all that is done in an eastern country, you have to ship via cargo containers which takes time and $$$.

This is a niche of a niche, aka no good ROI.

Proven technology such as large case GM alts (CS144) is easier to adapt to larger amperages and voltages than build something from scratch.

Its all about the money...

CABCopyright.png

88-98 GM Full Size Forum www.GMT400.com

i put fuses on power wires, and condoms on fuses, to keep the fuses safe!

Guest DC Power Rob

Hahaha Rob...Two weeks??? You think I can wait that long? Hurry it up man.

BTW, Rob you kill me man. You always come out of no where!

You didn't say you wanted one like, RFN Mike... ;)

Yeah, I'm just holding out.. I just like looking at them all sitting in the shop.. Alternator pron.. I'm just playing with them at the moment...

Im putting one in a Toyo V6 tomorrow, Ill send you the vid, it should do ok.. :)

Now think about it if you want to make a niche product for a niche market (the single 1,200A Alt) How much money R&D burns through on brand new products can be insane, Tooling the machinery to build the cases and other products is INSANE

Been there, done that, have the T-shirt to prove it..

You didn't say you wanted one like, RFN Mike... ;)

Yeah, I'm just holding out.. I just like looking at them all sitting in the shop.. Alternator pron.. I'm just playing with them at the moment...

Im putting one in a Toyo V6 tomorrow, Ill send you the vid, it should do ok.. :)

Been there, done that, have the T-shirt to prove it..

This is the big numbers at idle alt right?

If you get the toy issue fixed (external reg), then I may do both. LoL Divorce in the near future haha

10501650_10203332501847103_1859383749711

Blown

Okay, so I totally understand why a "Super Alternator" {1200 amps +} would not be a good business choice......

But I have to say this much > If it were me, and I was building a rediculous over the top SPL system (well I like SQ mixed with that too.... which is why I'm always so impressed with SM's builds) I would (help to) design, and have built, one BIG ASS generator, that would put out so many freaking amps, it wouldn't flinch from a 30Kwt system..... and then maybe the system could be expanded to 60 or 100Kwts later ;)

To me, if any portion of an outrageous sound system is going to be "overbuilt" it should be the power generating section.

And even as little as I've learned, I don't think it would be so awefully difficult. Certainly no more so than the builds that SM does already. Heck, I'm not talking about building the main generator from scratch. They already make generators from the size of a baseball, to the size of a school bus. All you'd have to do is find the right one, then properly adapt it, regulate it, and Bam ! Your there.

Then, not only would you have the biggest, baddest possible power supply, to rest your entire SPL system on (I think everyone agrees that "available current" is the backbone of any system) but even cooler, you would have something, which to the best of my knowledge, nobody else has. For a little while anyway..... until a bunch of other "follow the leader" types, started jumping on the band wagon.

Peace,

Fish

Guest DC Power Rob

Yes it is.. Should do 180-190 at idle on this car, IF the system will push it that far, but 160-170 easy... But, to put it in perspective, that's with a 6" crank pulley and a 2.4" alternator pulley @ 700 engine RPM idle, do the math.. On a GM/Ford car truck or SUV these will do over 200 at idle @ 14.8v, with a stock pulley without breaking a sweat... Regulators are also almost done, couple more weeks is all. They're 95% there..

Fish, what your saying is correct, it would be better to have one big "alternator".. The problem with it is an alternator like that takes an ENORMOUS amount of driven torque to turn, and you'r never, ever going to do it with a 6G/8G serpentine belt.. It has to be either shaft or direct driven.. The technology is there for the charging end of it, we've already done it.. You just cant turn it on a vehicle...

This is the big numbers at idle alt right?

If you get the toy issue fixed (external reg), then I may do both. LoL Divorce in the near future haha

It has to be either shaft or direct driven..

Cool. No problem.

Step #1..... Set up shaft drive :)

Peace,

Fish

DC, from what I've read, if done properly, 30Hp's should make 1200+ amps, huh ?

PS, Sorry if I'm giving you fits man :) I'm really a very nice guy. I was just the kid who always asked.... But why ? But why ? But why ? ......then I grew up to be one who always questions authority.

Archived