Mechman Alternators

Dual Alternator wiring

I wired up a system in my boy's 1990 Chevy Caprice last night. We are running a separate Mechman 250 amp alternator to a XS Power D3100 which is powering everything for the audio. My issue is when I piggy back the power and ignition leads from the stock alternator, over to the secondary alternator, the alternator puts out 17+ volts at idle, even 18. That's too much for the battery and the amps and I can't figure out what its doing that. To humor myself i completely disconnected the wires from the second alt and with the car on it read like 14.6 or so volts at idle which seems normal. So my question is, is nothing supposed to be hooked up to the secondary alternator in a set up like this to make it charge or anything?

Edited by fli_noize

Bone Stock 2006 Dodge Magnum SRT-8

nobody has any info on this topic? I did a bit more research and I believe the first wire in the harness which is the 12volt should be hooked up directly to the battery it's charging (XS Power D3100) and I was wondering if I could jump the second wire in the harness to the second wire on the stock alternator which is the ignition? And do I HAVE to hook up a light, resistor or volt meter to the 3rd wire? Or do I only need the power and ignition?

Bone Stock 2006 Dodge Magnum SRT-8

nobody has any info on this topic? I did a bit more research and I believe the first wire in the harness which is the 12volt should be hooked up directly to the battery it's charging (XS Power D3100) and I was wondering if I could jump the second wire in the harness to the second wire on the stock alternator which is the ignition? And do I HAVE to hook up a light, resistor or volt meter to the 3rd wire? Or do I only need the power and ignition?

I would put this post in the Mechman section where you are dealing with a Mechman alternator. Matt can help you out with this problem I would assume.

"I don't bullshit. I do what I say & say what I mean."

Final_TopKick_Soundstream-1.jpg

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2925230

http://www.armoredhaulin.com