I have taken into account that all the shots taken were in a movie but i was watching the making of the movie Shooter with Mark Wahlberg and the Marine that trained him was using a Model 700 .308 and taking shots out at 1100 yards.

i guess waht i want to know is it truly possible to shoot and kill a person with a .308 or any other high powered rifle at 1100 yards or was that all Hollywood Phenomenon with smoke and mirrors???

Team MaxRetribution

Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
Id rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6

Bowhunting- Life Begins and Ends at Full Draw

Bowhunting Team Fatal Trajectory Hunt Team

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/49335-sick96vtecaccords-t-line-build/?hl=sick96vtecaccord << Accord Build

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/68498-smokedout08impalas-tline-build/?hl=+sick96vtecaccord << Impala T-line build

Rebassed.com for all your music needs 👌

The longest range recorded for a sniper kill currently stands at 2,430 meters (2,657 yd, or 1.51 miles) using a standard issue .50 cal...... so yeah its possible lol

The Setup

2009 Volkswagen Jetta

2 Alpine SWR-1222D's in 2 seperate boxes tuned to 33hz

1 Kicker ZX1001.1

Stock 140A Alt

Stock speakers

The gun that everyone thought was a .50 cal on Shooter was the Cheytac M200 .408. Just some food for thought. Cheytac make some of the baddest guns on the planet for long range killing.

Shannon

Edited by ImLow78

2004 Tahoe.Equipment Kenwood DNX7100 Kenwood Bluetooth adapterKenwood iPod interface cableAudiocontrol DQXSAlpine PDX 4.150Rockford Fosgate punch 40DMS Diamond Audio D363.5 (6.5" Components) Front DoorsDiamond Audio D363.5 (6.5" Components) Rear DoorsJL Audio 15w0's Subs In a 8cu. ft. Box.Monster cable XLN PRO RCA'sMonster Cable 16ga speaker wireMonster Cable 1/0,4ga power, Ground cable.I only got this Monster Cable stuff because I got it dirt cheap. (Crack Head Prices)

Ok thanks for the quick answers to the the question.

** You sure it was the .408 cuz the Marine that trained Wahlberg showed the Model 700 .308 was what he used??

Team MaxRetribution

Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
Id rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6

Bowhunting- Life Begins and Ends at Full Draw

Bowhunting Team Fatal Trajectory Hunt Team

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/49335-sick96vtecaccords-t-line-build/?hl=sick96vtecaccord << Accord Build

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/68498-smokedout08impalas-tline-build/?hl=+sick96vtecaccord << Impala T-line build

Rebassed.com for all your music needs 👌

there were multiple weapons used in the movie tough bad ass movie.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

Ok thanks for the quick answers to the the question.

** You sure it was the .408 cuz the Marine that trained Wahlberg showed the Model 700 .308 was what he used??

They might have trained him with the Remington Model 700 (Which is a BAD BOY) but the Cheytac was the gun that they showed him shooting the soup can with.

Shannon

2004 Tahoe.Equipment Kenwood DNX7100 Kenwood Bluetooth adapterKenwood iPod interface cableAudiocontrol DQXSAlpine PDX 4.150Rockford Fosgate punch 40DMS Diamond Audio D363.5 (6.5" Components) Front DoorsDiamond Audio D363.5 (6.5" Components) Rear DoorsJL Audio 15w0's Subs In a 8cu. ft. Box.Monster cable XLN PRO RCA'sMonster Cable 16ga speaker wireMonster Cable 1/0,4ga power, Ground cable.I only got this Monster Cable stuff because I got it dirt cheap. (Crack Head Prices)

With a .50 Cal your not going to miss much... :8)

Whats nice about the .408 shell is it stays (supersonic) with a precision range of 2,187 yards (Farther then the .50). <--- Not say'n I would not give my left Nut for a Barret Model 82A1 .50 but I think the .408 is a much more superior gun. Its kind of comparing a Enzo Ferrari (The .50) to a Bugatti Veyron (.408) Both are fast and beautiful cars but the Bugatti is much more refined.

Shannon

Edited by ImLow78

• 3 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
I have taken into account that all the shots taken were in a movie but i was watching the making of the movie Shooter with Mark Wahlberg and the Marine that trained him was using a Model 700 .308 and taking shots out at 1100 yards.

i guess waht i want to know is it truly possible to shoot and kill a person with a .308 or any other high powered rifle at 1100 yards or was that all Hollywood Phenomenon with smoke and mirrors???

The Remington 700 in .308 is more than capable of shots like that...

I've got the 700 SPSV with a pretty decent Nightforce scope on it and last time I was at the range (on the 100 yard line) one of the old guys told me he used to be a spotter and asked what I was shooting... After I told him what it was, I let him take a look at it and fire a few rounds... I said what do you think? Decent gun for 100 yard range???? :)

He said, boy, Shooting that at 100-200 yards is like taking a Nascar Car to a Go cart track and asking the kids if they want to race...

The only improvment I could think of is if it was a Auto and shot like that vs a Bolt action...

NRA - Patron Lifetime Member

'"the right of the people to keep andand bear arms shall not be infringed"