Second Skin Audio

Underpowering Blow Subs? LOL!

Is he a youtuber?

i like how he said wat rms stood for.. then thought that meant he explained it.

but ive had lots of youtubers say all that.. i think none of them realize that youd have to run you equipment full tilt all the time or your gonna blow your stuff.

but when ppl do say "i blew my kicker L5 and i only had a 400 watt amp on it.. its rated at 600."

They think they underpowered it and caused it to blow, when really they turned the gain all the way up and send a big clipped signal to the sub and burnt it up.

No he's on another forum, not related to audio. Do ya'll want me to post the link up so yall can bash on him? Please! I'm smart on car audio but not the smartest. Probably smarter then that guy who says this also.

He says I know wut I am talking about until I see "advanced level MECP" "certfcations" or proof you have been installing for more than 16 years full time don't say it's "all about gains" because u clearly are not correct

I'm 17 years old and know more than him. LOL!

Edited by tech2332

tech2332.png

My Official Feedback Thread

PSN - tech2332

Games for PS3: Killzone 2, BattleField: Bad Company 2! Add me to play either!

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is what I might say to him

"Ah, I see what you mean now. So it is kinda like if you are driving 30 mph on a road with a 55 mph speed limit... your car will try to compensate, but being unable to will cause it to overheat and blow up, getting you a speeding ticket?"

He also said this in the morning.

"Sorry for not being so eloquent but I forgot to add that volume has absolutely nothing to do with it, and also a 1000 watt sub on 300 watts wouldn't produce much sound the gain would have to be turned up so high that you would clip and cause distortion which would damage the speaker, I was a little rude sorry about that just needed to give appropriate knowledge"

tech2332.png

PSN - tech2332

No he's on another forum, not related to audio. Do ya'll want me to post the link up so yall can bash on him? Please! I'm smart on car audio but not the smartest. Probably smarter then that guy who says this also.

He says I know wut I am talking about until I see "advanced level MECP" "certfcations" or proof you have been installing for more than 16 years full time don't say it's "all about gains" because u clearly are not correct

I'm 17 years old and know more than him. LOL!

Just tell him:

"ok, youre right. But just to make sure, go sit in your car with your stereo on 1/4 volume, and stay in there till your speakers blow"

I responded with this:

"It all about the gains! Volume is everything also. You think the a 1000 watt rms amp is constantly putting out 1000 watts rms at every volume level? No it's not.Especially after impedance rise, voltage, etc. The amp gain is there to set it to HU voltage/output level. Yes I know powering a 2000 watt rms woofer with 4000 watts rms will blow it but like I said not if it's for short periods of time and gains are set to not clip and voltage is up to par. Like when you burp in comps. They give subs over twice their RMS and manage not to blow them. Of course over a period of time they will eventually blow/damage.

The whole point of my argument is to say underpowering does not blow speakers, DISTORTION is.

When someone stupid hooks up 100 watt amp to a 500 watt woofer and doesn't think it's loud enough, so they turn up the gains is when they send the amp into clipping and thus causing the sub to blow. But if you're smart you can give 1,500 Watts to a 1000 watt woofer daily/safely.

And the speaker's voice coils won't heat quicker if there given "underpowered" power. They will if they're given too much power, or clipped power but not for a little unclipped power. If that were true then at lower volume levels where the amp isn't pushin full tilt it would constantly get hot. But yet if you give it it's RMS it won't get as hot? Yea looks like logic isn't involved in your statement.

I'm 17 years old, I don't have anykind of degree. But

I don't need a license to know how to drive, know what I mean,"

Edited by tech2332

tech2332.png

PSN - tech2332

Here is what I might say to him

"Ah, I see what you mean now. So it is kinda like if you are driving 30 mph on a road with a 55 mph speed limit... your car will try to compensate, but being unable to will cause it to overheat and blow up, getting you a speeding ticket?"

lol i like that

www.3rdcoastcustoms.net

Good news - Clipping and distortion do not blow speakers. Overpowering does. That is overpowering thermally or mechanically.

Clipping increases the RMS value that is associated with the peak voltage, so the RMS power is greater even though the peak voltage has not increased. That is overpowering - the actual clipping is not what kills the speaker. You can have a totally clipped signal and as long as you do not go beyond the driver's thermal or mechanical power limits, it will not hurt it. . .

Thinking distortion kills speakers is crazy. Anyone listening to rock music would never be able to keep speakers. . .

95Honda did a big test on clipping effects. Here is a good quote:

"Here is the problem. There isn't an argument that a square wave contains more power than a sine of equal voltage amplitude (duh), but what people don't understand is that a sqaure or clipped wave doesn't have any more of a detrimental effect than a sine, of the same power magnitude. This is where the misconception lies. Many think that a speakers that has a 500watt power handling may be destroyed by a 200 watt amplifier driven in to full clipping, which is never the case due to the fact that an amplifier that can produce a 200 watt sine could only produce a 400 watt square wave (assuming the power supply can do this) and this could never cause thermal failure of a loudspeaker truly rated at 500 watts, mechanical failure aside. This is where the misunderstanding lies...."

Brian

edit - I think part of the clipping, distortion, underpowering kills speakers come from people who might have an 800 watt amp on a 1000 watt speaker (assuming true ratings). They clip the output enough that the RMS output of the amp actually goes beyond 800 watts and beyond 1000 watts. Speaker dies and they say "I blew my speaker from underpowering it." Then someone else says "it was not the underpowering, you had the gain set wrong and clipped it". Clipping caused the overpower condition, but had it been a 300 watt amp and 1000 watt sub, the sub would have survived the clipping. . .

Edited by bkolfo4

Current system:

1997 Blazer - (4) Customer Fi NEO subs with (8) American Bass Elite 2800.1s

Previous systems:

2000 Suburban - (4) BTL 15's and (4) IA 40.1's = 157.7 dB at 37 Hz.

1992 Astro Van - (6) BTL 15's and (6) IA 40.1's = 159.7 dB at 43 Hz.

Yup, an amp at full square wave is usually doing about 2x what it's rated to at RMS, not only that but the woofer isn't cooling itself and current is at a maximum due to no inductive load....

Though I will say this... the old RE MT's were known to mysteriously cook coils on surprisingly little power even if it was clean - they have an incredibly tight gap and no pole vent and a relatively restrictive motor (great for generating maximum BL for burping) but the very stiff spiders meant the coils just didn't move enough to cool themselves and the coils would eventually overheat. It's like putting a bunsen burner in sealed room... it mightn't heat the room up very fast but as long as heat is entering the system faster than it is leaving it will eventually get very very hot in there...

goodgrammarbc7.gif

10.x volts fo' life!