Second Skin Audio

effects of polyfill in a sealed enclosure???

Rogers

my dad used to use poly fill way back when he was into car audio and i use it on sealed enclosures now.

i didnt know about the 1 pound per cubic foot thing though, i always just put some until i liked the result and eyeballed the difference between chambers.

ive never experienced negative results with poly fill.

First Gen Xterra: Always changing

DNX 690HD

RF 360.3
RF T3002
RF T4004
RF T10001bd
Silver Flute 6.5"s
Tang Band 1" Tweeters
Sundown X18 in 7cubes net tuned to 32hz

Trust me .25 Blows your Load.

my dad used to use poly fill way back when he was into car audio and i use it on sealed enclosures now.

i didnt know about the 1 pound per cubic foot thing though, i always just put some until i liked the result and eyeballed the difference between chambers.

ive never experienced negative results with poly fill.

LOL I only suffered that issue because I always ran to small of a system at max at all times. As far as damage goes.

Now I just build my systems louder than I want them to be so I'm not stressing anything. LOL

Isobaric - Refers to the practice of coupling two drivers together to make them act as one.

"Giving up doesn't always mean you are weak; sometimes it means that you are strong enough to let go."

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

The Destruction of a person builds character.

Terryswork001.png

well another enclsoure is completely out of the question... this is no prefab... i spent a week and depleted all of my funds building it... its for a regular cab tacoma... and the floor is molded into the bottom of the enclosure with fiberglass...so seperate chambers would have been time consuming and difficult...and expensive... one of my team members are sending me a shit load of polyfill... so im going to try that route... but at this point in time if i cant get it to sound they way i want it to.... im just going to have to deal with it...

i should have made a build log... but i was quite busy... but this will give you an idea of what the situation is... im not sure if you have ever looked behind the seats of a first generation tacom... but its not enclsoure friendly... its got the normal tranny hump going down the center plus an even bigger bump at the back for the transfer case...

this is the only good pic that i took of the bottom...

Posted Image

Posted Image

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/79921-rogers-700-dream-car-update-page-17-a-wall/?p=2335774

93 Saturn SC2My system4 SA-15's Walled

2 Cerwin-Vega S2000's

3 Kinetik Hc2000's

Dual 200amp alts.

you guys done with the peepee touching contest or do I need to end it?

It slightly lowers the resonant frequency of the enclosure/sub combo and it helps reduce standing waves inside the enclosure. Nothing else.

Michael Hughes = 6X SPL World Champion - Loudest on the planet in db Drag, USACi, and IASCA.

Unfortunetly I have had to see this issue before and luckily did not have to build the enclosure.

Start with a pound, then a pound and a half and work your way up.

If you do it a half pound at a time useing the same music to test it with you should be able to notice when you start to loose output.

In your situation I would like to be notified of your results and I wish I could be there to be honest and thats some nice work you have done there man and good luck.

I'm crashing out.

BTW have you talked to RE for their opinion?

Isobaric - Refers to the practice of coupling two drivers together to make them act as one.

"Giving up doesn't always mean you are weak; sometimes it means that you are strong enough to let go."

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Terryswork001.png

It slightly lowers the resonant frequency of the enclosure/sub combo and it helps reduce standing waves inside the enclosure. Nothing else.

Does this mean I'm wrong?

Terryswork001.png

thank you for the kind words... and i will fo sho let everyone know my results... and no i havent talked to re about it... its just alot of shit to explain to them... lol... yeah be really glad you didnt have to build it... i spent around a hondo just on fiberglass supplys... and it took me 8 or 9 days total from start to finish..... not to mention this is my first real fiberglass project... i think it went quite well...

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/79921-rogers-700-dream-car-update-page-17-a-wall/?p=2335774

2 Cerwin-Vega S2000's

3 Kinetik Hc2000's

Dual 200amp alts.

With sealed enclosures I have noticed huge differences by useing polly-fill in the propper sealed enlcosures.

In my opinion if you know how to use poly-fill propperly you should see no negative results and far better sound quality.

The rule of thumb is 1 pound to 1.5 pounds of poly-fill per cubic foot. I recommend staying close to no more than 1 pound per cubic foot.

To be honest I have found this rule to be very important to follow as there are terrible negative consequences by useing to much poly-fill.

These 2 negative consequences are decreased output and over excursion and if you do not reconize this you will most likely suffer mechanical issues such as stressing or destroying the spiders/suspension of your subwoofers.

Unfortunetly if you run more than one subwoofer in your system and like to push everything to the max it is vital/crucial to make sure that you have an exact equal amount of polly-fill per subwoofer.

I have unfortunetly ran many dual subwoofer setups were I have ruined the suspension on one woofer and not the other because I did not use the same amount in both sides of my box. I just had abunch laying around from the past and tried to eyeball it and what would usually happen after about 6 months would be a popping sound comeing from the spider and the techs at Kicker would call this oil canning becaused it sounds just like the popping sound you would get from opening up the old fashioned oil cans.

Lets just say I litterly weigh out all of my polly-fill now and my last setup would have really shocked alot of people from the quality of my bass response. I even exceded my expectations and in my opinion would have shocked the shit out of alot of Kicker L7 haters.

My example would be an internal volume of .7 cubic feet per 10 inch sub with 6 ounces of polly-fill per section.

why exactly would too much polyfill cause over excursion?

2 Cerwin-Vega S2000's

3 Kinetik Hc2000's

Dual 200amp alts.

Edit I didn't write anything hold on:

This is the only reason I can think of why it would cuase over excursion.

All I can tell you from my experience is that when useing poly-fill I have gotten to the point that the woofer was throwing alot more or unloading and I was haveing a very very noticable decrease in output.

The bold print in the quote is the only reason I can think of why. I wish he would pop back in for just a minute.

Unloading similair to a ported box possibly.?.?.?

Terryswork001.png

Have you had any luck?

Terryswork001.png

Archived