Carputer 101

Guest MegaloManiac

Guest MegaloManiac

Ask anything you'd like about carputers and such. I'll try to answer promptly.

I got a carputer that i built, hope you guys dig.

i am one of the very few who has mine behind the dash. basically you can do 2 things. have a whole computer like your house one and hook it up an inverter(which i dont recomend). or buy small parts. let me give u a part list of what i have

M2atx 160watt power supply with a built in startup shutdown controller(startupshutdowncontroller maintains the voltage when engine cranks and will automatically start the computer when key is inserted and turned) $80

7in widescreen Lilliput vga touchscreen $250

Via M10000 miniItx motherboard $184(its darn small,there is a new smaller one called an Nano itx but its way too expensive.

GPS usb reciver $80

iGuidance(gps software/maps) $100

Slot loaded dvd rom/burner $85(cheapest at zip zoom fly .com mp3 car charges 184 for it )

Laptop harddrive $80(use a laptop HDD because it can withstand heat and shock much better than a 3.5)

converter for laptoHDD to IDE $3

converter for laptop dvd drive to ide $3

512 stick of ram $ 50

200 watt wiring kit(car stereo wiring kit $20 (used my friends discount at bestbuy)

and then a Hu with an AUX i used my Alpine 9847.

the rca to headphone cable.

and if you got the cash get a usb soundcard($30 at amazon)

you are lookin around $935 just for what i have without the soundcard(i did not add the HU price either) so $935is a lot cheaper than paying like $1000-$3000 for the kenwoods,pioneers, and eclipses dvd screen units.

I can watch movies while i drive(if i wanted too) gps works well,the fact that all my music is on a hard disc thats great. I even wired my startup to my remote start so when i remote start ,i come to my car and windows is booted already. But if you install tiny xp your computer will boot in 5seconds flat9tiny xp is windows xp,except cut down to like i think 240mb,uses 64mb of ram. add a usb wireless card for $10 also go surf the web.

edit check out miy pictures

before

Posted Image

after

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Couldnt flush mount well ,dvd/cd drive kept crushing and i couldnt get the dvd in

Posted Image

Guest MegaloManiac

so wait when you start your car does it boot to that screen in the picture or windows xp?also where do you get a software like that in the one in your picture?

when i start the car computer boots up itself(startup/shutdown controller PSU) it doeshow ind actually booting up, and that is a frontend called centrafuse runs automatically when  booted up. and its skinned to my likeing

Archived