Cold weather

Read alot about people at SPL comps turnin on the A/C before a run, supposed to help their number. I live in Germany and when it gets cold (70 last week, 39 today, WTF) my shit doesn't get as 'loud'. I haven't tried a meter here. Can SPL go up and audible loudness go down at the same time?

SMD Super Seller

My Feedback Thread

some peoples systems get louder, some gets cooler. Alot of it depends on the type of build, and the magnitude to which the build is. Meaning that if you have a single 10 in a sealed box off 300 watts in a trunk will be less likely to be affected than say an extreme vehicle where the entire vehicle is the enclosure running thousands of watts.

on another note, as the heat of the coil rises, the impedance also rises, reducing the power the amp is capable of making.

1997 Astro

front:6 sets of T3 componets

Subs: 8 level 5 18"s (building 6th order BP)

Amps: 4 really big ones (totalling just shy of 50K)

Batts:

Alt: Ohio Generator

1996 Chevy Suburban

Sub amp: A fifth really big amp

Subwoofer: 2-15" DC Level 4 XL

Batts: C&D high rate--(x4)

The weather actually affects your frequency more than anything. Usually the warmer it is the higher the freq and the cooler it is the lower the freq. I'll search for a thread on Termpro that I was involved in about 2 years ago when this exact thing was discussed.

Here you are read this thread and hopefully it will help a bit. http://audioforum.termpro.com/cgi-bin/ubb/...pic/3/6888.html

2013 VW Jetta GLI 2.0 Turbo

1 Sundown Audio SCV2000

1 Sundown Audio X15 V2

1 XS Power D3100

Audio Control LC6i

Stock Deck

146.4 sealed on the dash at 37hz

2001 Focus ZX3: RETIRED

Team Sundown Audio, Team XS Power, 2 time NSPL Car 3601-Up Champion, 2 time NSPL Car Hardcore Champion
Highest NSPL Scores to date:
154.3db on the dash sealed at 46hz, 156.2db in the kick at 46hz
155.2db unofficial on dash at 43hz

i dont see why not since the air is more dense....

i always run almost a volt higher in colder weather as well.

you run a volt higher because your alt charges much better when its cold. dense air is more so from humidity than temperature.

Cold makes your coils, amps and cables more efficient but makes the suspension, surrounds and car more rigid.

Cold also makes your battery make FAR less power.

a cold alt charges better but a hot battery works better.

for me the only thing the heat/cold or elevation affected was my peak frequency. My score stayed the same providing I burped the correct frequency. Luckily in my explorer I was able to make a general graph plotting the temperature inside the cab of my truck vs the peak frequency and had it pretty dialed in.

At one of our big 2x competitions in 2007 i started burping at 9 am to test and get a bassline because I was trying to break 155 for the first time ever by a street vehicle in canada. But as time went on and the hours passed my score kept decreasing....this was with a solid 5-8 min between burps on 25 amp charge so the batts were perfect. Turned out the temperature kept climbing from a cold morning to over 35 degrees (100farenheit) by the time I qualified at around 2pm. And I had my score dialed in at 155.2 but it had gone slowly up one freq at a time from 47 hz all the way to 52 hz and by the time I went to burp I only managed a 154.9 because my peak had gone all the way up to 53 hz obviously.

Running the AC will cool down the interior yes but at the expense of your batt and electrical system. Not worth it IMO. Unless ur an extreme or super street competitor running your own AC unit to control cab temperature. Those guys have their temperatures and frequencies so dialed in its scary! Atleast I know the Riprock twins do...I assume others do aswell

BUILT NOT BOUGHT
********LOOKING FOR NEW GROUND POUNDER TO BUILD********

1981 Malibu Wagon - Iron Block LS, Single Turbo, Nitrous, 6 Speed, Pump Gas, street car. --UNDER CONSTRUCTION
Goals are to make 1000 rwhp and 9 second quarter mile

1997 Explorer 157.8. Street C 2nd place 2007 San Mateo dbdrag world finals. (totalled)

you run a volt higher because your alt charges much better when its cold. dense air is more so from humidity than temperature.

a cold alt charges better but a hot battery works better.

for me the only thing the heat/cold or elevation affected was my peak frequency. My score stayed the same providing I burped the correct frequency. Luckily in my explorer I was able to make a general graph plotting the temperature inside the cab of my truck vs the peak frequency and had it pretty dialed in.

At one of our big 2x competitions in 2007 i started burping at 9 am to test and get a bassline because I was trying to break 155 for the first time ever by a street vehicle in canada. But as time went on and the hours passed my score kept decreasing....this was with a solid 5-8 min between burps on 25 amp charge so the batts were perfect. Turned out the temperature kept climbing from a cold morning to over 35 degrees (100farenheit) by the time I qualified at around 2pm. And I had my score dialed in at 155.2 but it had gone slowly up one freq at a time from 47 hz all the way to 52 hz and by the time I went to burp I only managed a 154.9 because my peak had gone all the way up to 53 hz obviously.

Running the AC will cool down the interior yes but at the expense of your batt and electrical system. Not worth it IMO. Unless ur an extreme or super street competitor running your own AC unit to control cab temperature. Those guys have their temperatures and frequencies so dialed in its scary! Atleast I know the Riprock twins do...I assume others do aswell

So why doesnt a street vehicle run an a/c unit or heater to fine tune the freq :spiteful: Then get a heat gun and warm up the batt. Should yeld more conistant tests to dial in the set up ;)

Mike and Mark

[email protected]

18741a0.jpg

My best numbers have been when it is blistering hot outside. 100+ days

Designing, building, and shipping boxes. Yahoo IM - kingsuv00If the listening level is too loud, please inform the driver, so he can promptly pull over, and let you out.

not many cars can get me to pluggin my ears but this one.......damn. I mean the first minute is ok but that thing just really starts digging deeper and deeper in your earhole till you cant stand it no more. Seems like it does it with relative ease....16 12's on 8 amps.........gotta love it. :)