passive and active

t-money

whats the difference in the 2. isnt passive the crossover is after the amp and active is b4 the amp

2002 ford focus hatch

pioneer DEH-P8400bh

infinity kappa 6.5 components front and rear

XS Power D1200

Shuriken BT-100

audioque 120.4

2 15 inch audioque HDC3 D2

2 audioque 2200d

big 3

mechman 220a alt with external regulator

479-418-3056

Yep.

Active blocks the frequencies at the RCAs or before your amp puts it out of the speaker Terminals

Passive takes the signal already out of the Amp's speaker output and then does the xover.

12 - 12"s in the STAY PUFT 1989 Chevy Astro

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

Chevy Trailblazer 5.1 Dolby Digital DTS Install

You have a beard of a mysterious sea captain. I would follow you to hell and back.

why is active so much better?

I'd hit that so fucking hard whoever pulled me out would be King of England.

Lol... looks like we were on the same page. Car-B-Ques suck.

ya, tires and paint burning make the marshmallows taste funny.

yea is it an better i would gues if its filtered b4 the amp the amp dont have to work as hard maybe reserving a little current draw?

2002 ford focus hatch

pioneer DEH-P8400bh

infinity kappa 6.5 components front and rear

XS Power D1200

Shuriken BT-100

audioque 120.4

2 15 inch audioque HDC3 D2

2 audioque 2200d

big 3

mechman 220a alt with external regulator

479-418-3056

yea is it an better i would gues if its filtered b4 the amp the amp dont have to work as hard maybe reserving a little current draw?

not 100% sure on this issuse myself but idea i just got thinking of maybe its better cuz it sends a cleaner signal to the amp so the amp inturn send out a cleaner signal?

Sure. :)

The way I see it, the amp doesn't have to work as hard if you give it less to do (fewer frequencies to worry with). That may be totally off, but maybe not. Also, you don't loose wattage in your passive crossover while it does its job.

I don't even have any passive crossovers anymore. Everything is active xover and every speaker gets its own channel on an amp. That gives me much more flexibility and ease of tuning. It makes it easier to dial in what frequency you want your tweets, mids, and bass to be cut off at (it does make for lots of damn amps though). Then the amp only has to amplify what it gets from the Active Crossover. It sounds cleaner to me the way my setup is now than it was before.

The scary part though- this is getting to be the old school way of doing it. Look at Steve and the Car computer and the 360s and whatnot. He can dial that ish in from the driver's seat. Wootie!

12 - 12"s in the STAY PUFT 1989 Chevy Astro

Build & Comment Log

Un-Interrupted Build Log
YouTube Channel

Chevy Trailblazer 5.1 Dolby Digital DTS Install

You have a beard of a mysterious sea captain. I would follow you to hell and back.

It's more about control than anything else, passive can be limited and requires someone with knowledge on how to make custom crossovers and active allows anyone to customize the sound themselves. Neither one are really better than the other its just a matter of making changes as needed and active allows the most options in car audio to make the changes needed for your particular car and setup.

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

It's more about control than anything else, passive can be limited and requires someone with knowledge on how to make custom crossovers and active allows anyone to customize the sound themselves. Neither one are really better than the other its just a matter of making changes as needed and active allows the most options in car audio to make the changes needed for your particular car and setup.

X2 You explained this very well. I am currently building my own passives and I have seen this same thread ask over and over here and other sites and it always turns into a slinging fest.