Second Skin Audio

infinite baffle

ok so im really intrested in these. Ive never seen one done and want to see how its done. Im talking about the sub being behind the seat and the whole trunk being the box not just making a box and sealing it off from the trunk.

there is alot i want to know like

what kinda sub would u use?

would u port it?

how would you seal everything off?

if anyone did one and has a build log that would be perfect.

thanks

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Those havent been made in years and you'll prolly play hell finding some old ones to try. If i recall correctly there was once a crx that had 45 15's in it at one time but hell thats been so many years ago i dont know if thats even correct.

Edited by Skullz

01 Ford focus ZX3

Pioneer AVH-X491BHS

PPI PC 4800.2

Morel Maximo 6.5" x2

IB means there is no box, the sub is attatched to a baffle, and thats about it

lots of cars come from the factory with an IB 8 or 10 in the parcel shelf in the back

if you want to do it in your car, use an IB capable sub (fi makes some, and i'm sure theres some others kicking about, they kinda went the way of the cassette player in car audio though), mount it in a baffle facing forward, and do your best to seal the "front" from the "back"...cut the mdf to basically seal around the trunk and fill the gaps with caulk/sprayfoam/fiberglass

dont port it, that defeats the entire purpose

as far as a build log, i know there is a mustang with all rockford gear and an IB setup somewhere on here, or you can look in any car audio mag from before 1993 or so ;)

basically boxes meant less work installing, higher outputs, and higher power handling. ib has some advantages, but i'm not too sure how many people want to trade those over a traditional route

Edited by raytard

Build: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/ind...hl=avalon+build

monster/rockford/kicker/stinger cables, pioneer source, jbl highs/amps, kinetik/shuriken batts, iraggi alt, dei security, dc subs(atleast for now)

Team DC

"sq"

not that a well designed sealed or ported box couldnt compete (or do better)...and as for spl, i dont think IB setups have even placed in a comp since before i was born...

monster/rockford/kicker/stinger cables, pioneer source, jbl highs/amps, kinetik/shuriken batts, iraggi alt, dei security, dc subs(atleast for now)

Team DC

just keep in mind, nearly ALL subs made today are designed to be in a box. if you just throw a normal sub into an IB itll suck.

if you insist on trying one out, make sure you find an IB sub. Fi has some beefy ones, most "slim" woofers can be used IB, and i think kicker comp 8's work.

Team DC

Infinite baffle is an incorrect term commonly used in car stereo applications, an infinite baffle would be a driver installed on a baffle that was infinitely wide and tall, so that the rear wave and the front wave of the speaker never meet. In a car, you can maybe come close by working very very hard to seal off the cabin from the trunk. Also if you get the cabin sealed, you also have to ensure that the total airspace in the trunk will be equal to or greater then the Vas of all the drivers you are using combined, otherwise they will load off the space in the trunk. I am currently in the process of building a 3/8" thick fiberglass baffle that bolts into the frame of my car to hold a pair of 15" IDQv2s so believe me it is not easy. The rear deck must be completely sealed from the cabin , and also the C pillars need to be sealed. For the most part an true infinite baffle configuration is extremely difficult to achieve, the best we can do is try to slow down the rear waves of the drivers from entering the cabin.. which for the most part is acceptable. So the term infinite baffle is incorrect in this situation , it would be more appropriate to call it a trunk baffle (first heard it called this from the guys at ID). Drivers with a high Qts and low Fs are usually considered to be ideal for IB installs. It is not easy to do and is not going to be amazingly loud like a big ported box which is why most guys on this SPL oriented forum are not going to recommend it, but if done correctly it will sound amazing!

Too Much Stuff to list .