Alternator Pros, check this out!

It would be helpful if one of the alt companies explained all of the parts in an alt and explained more about it, with pistures....

Just a suggestion.

I googled it just to see what would come up, and I'm actually surprised how much info I learned in such a short article!

Howstuffworks - Alternators

Pretty basic, but it made e feel smart looking at the photos and being like "Hey, I've seen that before!" :D

I'm sure there's better stuff out there, I'm just not motivated enough to go look for it.

wtf is lolcats?

I'd def get a fat hooker if i had to resort to that kinda thing. I feel like they'd be grateful and work harder. Also its more bang for my buck, more real estate for my dollar if you catch my drift. its like the Costco of streetwalkers.

I was hoping for 150 :(.

I was hoping she would let me put it in her butt

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That $600 price tag is a little misleading. You got the $99 external regulator. How much is an MLA? I assumed it was $139 or something. Have no idea tho. The external regulator is way better than an MLA.

Dom

Rather than talk shit on others products you should make note if you don't guarantee your alts for a 15 volt set point from our module then why would adjusting them above 15 volts be any better for your alts. We have never said a bad thing about you or your alts nor told people not to buy them so no need to be a hater!!!!!

It really shows your integraty when Steve runs both our products on his ride yet you feel the need to talk shit on us!

Thanks though,

MLA

missinglinkaudio

r91ks0.jpg

The United States Marine Corps. When it absolutely, positively has to be destroyed overnight - even if "it" belongs to the base commander...

Rather than talk shit on others products you should make note if you don't guarantee your alts for a 15 volt set point from our module then why would adjusting them above 15 volts be any better for your alts. We have never said a bad thing about you or your alts nor told people not to buy them so no need to be a hater!!!!!

It really shows your integraty when Steve runs both our products on his ride yet you feel the need to talk shit on us!

Thanks though,

MLA

I don't see Dom talking shit about you or your product at all. He gave his honest opinion that an external regulator is a better choice is all and your taking that as he's trying to blast you. I'm pretty sure your over reacting here cause that isn't what I take from his posts anywhere here in this thread. Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but it sounds like you took what he said as an insult rather than the way he intended.

2013 VW Jetta GLI 2.0 Turbo

1 Sundown Audio SCV2000

1 Sundown Audio X15 V2

1 XS Power D3100

Audio Control LC6i

Stock Deck

146.4 sealed on the dash at 37hz

2001 Focus ZX3: RETIRED

Team Sundown Audio, Team XS Power, 2 time NSPL Car 3601-Up Champion, 2 time NSPL Car Hardcore Champion
Highest NSPL Scores to date:
154.3db on the dash sealed at 46hz, 156.2db in the kick at 46hz
155.2db unofficial on dash at 43hz

Im pretty sure what he is getting at is your alternator (no matter the brand) is going to work double time to charge your drained batteries. It is going to make as much current as it can until the batteries are full. While using your MLAs or even external regulators to improve your voltage is now going to make your alternator not only rapidly charge your batteries but do it at a much higher voltage. In return could "cook" your battery (blow it up).

In a way it would be like taking a drained battery and putting it on a charger that has a 60 or 75 amp engine start mode (usually around 15 volts), and letting the battery charge for periods of time. the battery will get noticeable warm and may start to bulge if its done for too long.

This is why I prefered my external regulator over my MLA. Because when I needed the voltage, the knob was a reach away to a good 15.5v setpoint, and turned back down after bumping. However, I have not seen any said horry stories with the MLAs having a issue cooking batteries. I would venture to say all is good!

Not to mention MLA, External Regulator, or just a plan high output alt with no voltage mods can easily blow just from a fool draining his batteries to half reserve and then relying on the alt alone to charge them back up. Big no no imo.

Yes for 2 years now we have been doing the 15v module with no vehicle or battery issues.

External has its place as well for those who are willing to go that far.

Our modules need no special alt so it can work on factory and HO alts the same , this gives people options they never had before. A module is safer since it allows your alt to still fluctuate and compensate as needed for (heat and/or full batteries).

An internal regulator measures alt temp and keeps it from catching fire or burn up by the backing off feature,(as well with module).

Taking out the regulator (external regulation) removes this safety feature and has been known to catch fire at some comps I've been to over the years.

There is a need for both setups for sure , we are just the newest safest answer to the computer problem (dash lights ect...)without all the modifications and cost.

Thanks,

MLA

missinglinkaudio

r91ks0.jpg

The United States Marine Corps. When it absolutely, positively has to be destroyed overnight - even if "it" belongs to the base commander...

I think there is something special about my alternator. Well maybe not special, but I like how it works.

It is self-exciting (1 wire hookup only) which is my power wire that runs to the battery.

It is still using a transpo internal regulator as seen in the pictures (charges at 14.8 hot).

However I can plug my external transpo voltage regulator right into the plug for 13v-21v.

and still keeping all the safty features of a regulator.

At least this is what I am told. However it sounds to good to be true so I have yet attempted it! LOL

Hi MLA.

Im not talking bad about you or your product. Im simply stating what detrimental effects running higher voltage may have... And there are some.

I think you took that totally out of context. If you remember I also said the same thing about our external regulator. I guess I was talking bad about our product and yours if thats the case.

Again. I didnt mean anything derogatory about anybody. :)

Dom

Thanks though,

MLA

Very interesting post. I run an MLA and I've had no issues with it. With that being said MLA you jumped to the wrong conclusion.

Member since 25 Jun 2006

2011 Yukon DenaliCustomLightz 4300K HID RetrofitEsky TailsEsky Third BrakeEsky 22sEsky Appliques

2 yrs that nobody has blamed higher voltage anyway.

I know for a fact that a battery manufacturer on this site says voltage that high will decrease a batteries life.

Coming from a battery manufacturer I would have to believe what he has to say about it.. and coming from an alt manufacturer I would believe the higher charging current with higher voltage.

Im not degrading your product by any means.. Especially when used properly. <<Key word.... Properly>> It seem like you get hyper defensive when someone talks about higher voltage in any context.

I love the higher voltage personally. I really hate it when someone has drained batteries or bad batteries tho. Someone is gonna burn something up. Just has to be the right conditions.

Yes for 2 years now we have been doing the 15v module with no vehicle or battery issues.

External has its place as well for those who are willing to go that far.

Our modules need no special alt so it can work on factory and HO alts the same , this gives people options they never had before. A module is safer since it allows your alt to still fluctuate and compensate as needed for (heat and/or full batteries).

An internal regulator measures alt temp and keeps it from catching fire or burn up by the backing off feature,(as well with module).

Taking out the regulator (external regulation) removes this safety feature and has been known to catch fire at some comps I've been to over the years.

There is a need for both setups for sure , we are just the newest safest answer to the computer problem (dash lights ect...)without all the modifications and cost.

Thanks,

MLA

• 1 year later...

http://www.alternatorparts.com/category_cs144.html

Im really liking these Dual Rectifier CS144 alts..

Anyone had any experience with these?

My 93 chevy truck Orion HCCA 15's Build

6K HID's

2 orion HCCA 15.4

2 AP30001D's

2 optima yellowtops, 2 C&D 270fr's, all 3 tsunami 1/0, CS144 190 amp

Rockford p200-2

Rockford p200-2

Rockford p300-1

Kole KX1 5500D -broken

Archived