Alpines Imprint

Anyone have any experience with this? The pro's and con's? I decided to run alpine in my truck and picked up a 9887. I see I can add this on and let it EQ everything for me. Works for me lol. So what I'm looking for is some real world real people experience to see if its worth it or not.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

1998 Chevy Silverado ext cab

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

3 Digital Designs CS6.5 component sets

Dual Mechman 370XP Elite alternators inbound!

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

A Real Voltmeter not a piece of shit stinger.

I think I am literally the only guy on here that uses it with my 9887 . I know in all these threads I sound like the damn cheerleader for alpine, but look at this way, with KTX-100EQ , you spend 250 or, if crutchfield still does it, you can rent it for 50 bucks.... ( I would just buy it, I have ran the imprint program 15 or 20 times playing with it ).... It comes out cheaper than buying a RF360, plus a palm pilot or what ever you need to access it, it doesnt require any install work, no brain to mount ( with the 9887 ONLY ) and it takes it about 20 minutes to tune your car. Then you are done. unless you wanna do it again. It blended my system better than I could ever get it, especially with my lacking ownership of a RTA .... Once I ran it a half dozen or twenty times, I figured out the things like mike placement and amp settings ( as well as tweeter crossover setting for my comps ) to get it where I really like it. The whole system really does shine quite nicely considering what I have in my ride... Just listening to the IASCA test CD through all the tests and you can tell the imprint performs it job very well...

With all of that being said, there are a few negatives to it, so Its only fair I mention those as well.... First and foremost, the 360 has it beat as far as tuning goes... Meaning, you can actually manipulate each channel in a variety of ways that the imprint simply can not do. But this is where the two draw the line in being very different products. The 360 is designed and programmed for those who like to fine tune each little setting themselves. The alpine is a plug it in, run the program, unplug it, your done kinda tool. Once it does its task, it supplies you with the three tuning graphs you can choose from, and you get to load to of those tuning set ups into your deck. Once it sets those set ups, you cant tweak them in any way. It is designed to do it all for you. Some see this as a good thing and they are okay with it, others wont even consider using it because of this. you need to decide what kind of audiophile you are. Do you want to constantly tweak and adjust? Or do you want to have a computer program do it for you ?

Volume .... If you have your amps input voltage ( gains ) set too high, the imprint program will limit your maximum volume to prevent you from damaging your speakers. When the imprint runs, it performs a series of tests with each channel ( FL, FR, RL , RR, SUB in passive , it get more complex if you are running a active set up ) to measure frequency response, time alignment from the microphone, and to put it in simple terms, a clipping test. ... If your amp is sending to much power to your speakers , It will limit your maximum volume to save your speakers. Again, some folks get irritated by this, others, like me, are happy to have this feature built in. Remember, once you load the two imprint tuning graphs into your head unit, you can always turn them off, there by allowing you to tune the system with the 9887's full EQ tuning program. Turning off the imprint doesn't erase your programs.... you can revert back to them anytime you want. Alot off guys turn the imprint off when they bass race , and then turn it back on when they leave the lanes for a more SQ listening experience.

The biggest gripe with the imprint though has to be the sub woofer tuning. The imprint trys to blend the subs into the system, and most guys who run more than one sub do so because the like the extra bass in the music. This is where you will end up running the imprint several times. What most people have ending doing is to turn the input voltage down a substantial amount, run the imprint , save the programs into the head unit, and then go back and turn the input voltage back up the correct setting using a volt meter. This actually pretty good results. The tuning assures you that you get bass that sounds blended and properly tuned, because the imprint will run the tests for the subs, detect them, realize they are weak on the volume side, and compensate for that. Once you re adjust the input voltage, you dont risk damaging your subs, and you still can get that bass heavy sound you expect from your system. Again, some see this as a negative, some don't.

I know this much. When I turn the imprint off, my subs sound muddy and whompy, for lack of a better term.... and the factory EQ setting of the deck are completely untouched. When I turn it on, they sound completely different. They really fit in well with the rest of the system. Sure, the bass is a bit heavy, but I put two 12s in my truck because that was what I wanted at the time.... ( I wish I woulda went with 15s, but oh well.... ) And If I want more bass, I just push the wheel on the deck, and turn the sub input up to 9 or 10.... maybe 12 or 13 .... and I get more bass....

Again, with the imprint running, your tuning is limited to, treble, bass, fade, balance, and sub woofer input. The imprint will not let you tweak the settings it programs in. I for one am okay with that.... I am thoroughly pleased with the way the system sounds.

a side note.... the " folks " and the " people " I refer too in this post are the members of the DIY Mobile Audio Forum .... There is a very long thread there on the imprint. The guy who works for the company that invented the imprint has posted in there and helped alot of us out as far as getting the most out of the imprint tuner. Go over there and read the thread. very informative...

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/member...-ktx-100eq.html

2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser Voo Doo Blue

my upgrades and "build" thread.

My Kulicki Box Build

-Alpine 9887 head unit, KTX-100EQ imprint-( sound quality for dummies! ). - MB Quartz 3.5" in back pillars

-Sundown Audio SAX100.4 - JL Audio 3 way 6.5" component set XR653-CSi ( doors and dash )

-JL Audio 2 way Component set XR650CSi

- Alpine MRD - M1005 - Alpine Type - R 12" subs -- 2 - 12" s in a Pete kulicki designed box.

-Alpine High speed Ipod cable, and KCA-SC100 with Sirius sat. radio

-All wiring is Stinger 12 gauge and HPM Level 3 RCAs, KnuKonceptz Kolossus Power and ground and Big done in 1/0,

-270 sq. ft. of Damplifier Pro, 36 sq. ft. of Overkill Pro, 6 full sheets of Luxury Liner, and a gallon of spectrum-

-2 Powermaster D680 Powercells in back

FINALLY !!! I GOT IT METERED ON THE TERMLAB !!! I did a 140.2 at 42 hertz.

Shoehorn, BFH, forklift,duct tape and some zip ties

that right there is what i wanted to see. I don;t like the fact that it blends the bass in. I'm going to be running 4 15s walled off with 10000 watts. I don't do it for blending. what I want it for is my dailly driving needs really. I hate tweaking and tweaking and tweaking but I want it to sound good lol.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

It will work fine with four 15s.... and when you wanna tear a few heads off with the bass knob, just turn it off. Check around a few dealers.... some of them may be able to run the imprint for you once for a nominal fee, and you can see what it does....

2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser Voo Doo Blue

my upgrades and "build" thread.

My Kulicki Box Build

-Alpine 9887 head unit, KTX-100EQ imprint-( sound quality for dummies! ). - MB Quartz 3.5" in back pillars

-Sundown Audio SAX100.4 - JL Audio 3 way 6.5" component set XR653-CSi ( doors and dash )

-JL Audio 2 way Component set XR650CSi

- Alpine MRD - M1005 - Alpine Type - R 12" subs -- 2 - 12" s in a Pete kulicki designed box.

-Alpine High speed Ipod cable, and KCA-SC100 with Sirius sat. radio

-All wiring is Stinger 12 gauge and HPM Level 3 RCAs, KnuKonceptz Kolossus Power and ground and Big done in 1/0,

-270 sq. ft. of Damplifier Pro, 36 sq. ft. of Overkill Pro, 6 full sheets of Luxury Liner, and a gallon of spectrum-

-2 Powermaster D680 Powercells in back

FINALLY !!! I GOT IT METERED ON THE TERMLAB !!! I did a 140.2 at 42 hertz.

Shoehorn, BFH, forklift,duct tape and some zip ties

It will work fine with four 15s.... and when you wanna tear a few heads off with the bass knob, just turn it off. Check around a few dealers.... some of them may be able to run the imprint for you once for a nominal fee, and you can see what it does....

Id rather not have to associate myself with the few local alpine dealers. I've been left with a bad taste in my mouth and their ability to comprehend what I can comprehend is not even close to the same level. Plus. If I buy it. I can rent it out for a small fee as well.

THERE IS NO BUILD LOG!

Alpine CDA-9887

4 Team Fi 15s

2 Ampere Audio TFE 8.0

2 Ampere Audio 150.4

8 XS Power d3400

6 XS power d680

Second Skin

Stinger

Tsunami Wiring

Sky High

thanks trainman very informative

97 Honda Civic Sedan

Rear disc brake conversion

2" drop

17's

lots of exterior mods

SYSTEM

SoundStream VIR-5850 Dvd player

RE 6x9's and 6.5's

Soundstream DTR4.500

Soundstream DTR1.2200

8" RE-x in a t-line