How To: Solder Large Gauge Wire.

Definitely use flux, and if the solder doesn't flow, add more flux. It's not necessary to sand the inside of the terminal so it's bright, you're chemically cleaning it with the flux.

I'm suprised that no one mentioned solder pellets for the big closed lugs? Or tin/solder pots for tinning wires? Tinned wires aren't always the answer though. If you twist em round and tin them for insertion into your amp outputs, you ultimately give up a lot of surface/transfer area versus a flattened cable, tinned or not. If you leave your twisted up cables bare, they flatten and spread out easier.

how do you use a solder pellet? Just drop or on the flug then hear it up while jamming wire into it? Just realized my plugs are closed today when my spool of wire got here. Can you get those at menards or Home Depot ?

Bass head in training. Trying to learn everything I can.

2014 Dodge Dart GT

Synergy Audio WFO 15.1 V2 (Prototype)

Sundown X12

• 5 weeks later...

To me that isn't a proper crimp since there is still visible strands of wire and air gaps around said wire, a proper crimp should become one solid piece of metal.

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

To me that isn't a proper crimp since there is still visible strands of wire and air gaps around said wire, a proper crimp should become one solid piece of metal.

the picture i posted? a hexagonal crimp is not much tighter, and you can crimp tighter than the picture i copied off the internet.

compression_crimp_xsection.jpg

But notice how that hexagonal crimp has no gaps and is one solid piece of metal?

Not saying you can't do it with those crimppers you posted but that picture wasn't the greatest of crimps but also very very far from the worst.

Edit- I hate you auto correct.

Edited by Broke_Audio_Addict

That being said a lot of people's definition of "music" is a clipped 30 hz sine wave with some 80 IQ knuckle head grunting about committing crimes and his genitals.

But notice how that hexagonal crimp has no gaps and is on solid piece of metal?

Not saying you can't do it with those crumpets you posted but that picture wasn't the greatest of crimps but also very very far from the worst.

for sure, i searched high and low when i did my yukon build for good crimpers. worked great on big 3 and amp ground to frame 1/0 knukonceptz.

• 3 months later...

I disagree as the solder is being pulled in the gaps of the strands with capillary action I think. I know that it does draw the solder in as a dis a 3/0 setup like this on my 88' F350 diesel battery to start cable setup and it took a fair amount of solder. Used a 16 ton hydraulic crimper.

1971 K10 Suburban - Chummins

1973 MG B GT

1981 Tartan 3000

1988 F350 XLT Lariat IDI