How To: Solder Large Gauge Wire.

I heard soldering good you better electrical connection than crimping? Is that true? I did a couple soldering but it seem like I'm having a bit trouble with the wire jacket. It seem to be melting a bit.

yes its true its a better connection. bring the flame up a little higher on the ring terminal and hit it on the back side of it.
duck.jpgSMDsigbannr9.jpg

yes its true its a better connection. bring the flame up a little higher on the ring terminal and hit it on the back side of it.

THanks! I will be soldering all my ring terminal. I should heat the top of the ring head? O.K i will try that and i see what happen.

I cut my insulation a little less than I normally would so that if it melts a little and the terminal slide down the wire a little the wire won't stick out the front of the terminal. Practice, Practice.

1st  SMD "System of the Month" Feb. 2007

Zapco Studio 500 (2)

Zapco Studio 300X

Zapco Studio 204 (2)

(2) FI 12ssd's w/ copper coils

DLS Iridium Tweeters

DLS UR2.5 MidRange

FI. N.7 Midbass

JL Audio TWK 88 

Mechman 370A Elite Alternator

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I prefer soldering because it make the cable stiff and wouldn't cause the cable to slip out from the terminal. I had crimping terminal before but i not strong enough as soldering. Well, guess what i finally now understand how to make a smooth shiny slide soldering. Wall la! IF you do it right the hot soldering will smoke up on the ring termial on top. IT will come out shiny and smooth. See the photo!!

Posted Image

Edited by Gotloud555

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.c...tnumber=370-080

Did I buy wrong solder? Mine seems rather thin.

Edited by moh.vze.com

DC Audio - Singer Alternators - Knukonceptz - XS Power - Hybrid Audio - Rockford Fosgate - Second Skin Audio - SMD - Sundown Audio - Elemental Designs

I read an interesting post on another forum:

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showpost.php...mp;postcount=25

Opinions?

if you are running so much power through your wire that its heating up you need either bigger wire or more runs of wire.

you can cook bacon shirtless if you're not a pussy...lol

not hatin, but am i wrong here it looks as if the amp is not grounded its hooked directly to the battery. it that the way it should be.

intr.jpg

DC.jpgDC POWER

if you are running so much power through your wire that its heating up you need either bigger wire or more runs of wire.

Hmm True.

I was just reading my solder and it says "Melts at 375 degrees F", so I think soldering is fine for the Big 3.

DC Audio - Singer Alternators - Knukonceptz - XS Power - Hybrid Audio - Rockford Fosgate - Second Skin Audio - SMD - Sundown Audio - Elemental Designs