Sonic Electronix

Trying to get a job at a local audio shop

So, im trying to get a job at a local shop right? I've got the pen and pad in my lap and im writing a letter of interest, what are the type of things I should throw on here that would get the interest of a shop owner?

I wrote down that I have experience in : AutoCAD, The design of quarter-wave enclosures, Reconing Speakers, Wiring up car stereos

Do any of them things matter to a shop owner?

Soo... Shop owners, what things do you look for in a resume from someone applying at your shop?

And, is it even possible for a 17 year old to get a job at an audio shop?

1997 Pontiac Grand Am SE

Broke stock Head Unit

Stock speakers suck

-if I get a job, it gets 2 SA 8s in a 2.5cube box (roughly 2 cube with the port and woofers in)-

-oh, and a new HU and some speakers that dont suck. and possibly a new muffler and tint job (previous owners tint is smudging in the back, if you know how to get tint off a window without damaging the heating stuff, let me know!!!)-

Kind of the question "what you want to do at the shop"

Install car alarms, remote starts, under car lights, TV's in mini vans?

You may have to work up in ranks at a high end shop or you could go to a crap shop and do what ever make the money. Carpeting boxs, building boxs or mentioned above.

I would like to see you get into a place where you learn alot and build some cool stuff.

93' Ford Aerostar

Alpine head unit

4-5.25 MB Quarts

20-10" pyramids super Pro

1 Lanzar amp

im sure a shop would hire you... hopefully you will have box carpeting experience.. i hate carpeting boxes!

box carpeting isnt my favorite thing to do, but there is a rather large box behind me carpeted in red & black polyester fabric, Spray Adhesive works wonders if you spray it on the wood and the carpet and just let the weight of the box attach it, the fun part is puting designs into the seam where the two colors meet, I put a wave on mine :D (feel like putting Sniper across the center where the ports are :D )

1997 Pontiac Grand Am SE

Broke stock Head Unit

Stock speakers suck

-if I get a job, it gets 2 SA 8s in a 2.5cube box (roughly 2 cube with the port and woofers in)-

-oh, and a new HU and some speakers that dont suck. and possibly a new muffler and tint job (previous owners tint is smudging in the back, if you know how to get tint off a window without damaging the heating stuff, let me know!!!)-

Kind of the question "what you want to do at the shop"

Install car alarms, remote starts, under car lights, TV's in mini vans?

You may have to work up in ranks at a high end shop or you could go to a crap shop and do what ever make the money. Carpeting boxs, building boxs or mentioned above.

I would like to see you get into a place where you learn alot and build some cool stuff.

this shop carries a lot of high end stuff when it comes to home audio (like Monitor) but on the car audio end, they carry the big name stuff that everyone knows about (MTX, JL, Alpine, etc etc) funny story bout this shop, they claimed they were talking to Nick or Scott (one of the two) @ Fi Car Audio about getting Fi carried at the shop, which ever one it was they said they were talking to I asked (I was in chat) and they had stated that they had never heard of the shop and that Fi isnt a brand that can be stocked at a shop (Which makes sense cus Fi is like a candy shop, out of 4 random BTLs of the same size they could still be completely different on the inside) so that kind of lowers the expectations of this shop, but i'd rather be working with Audio than making subs @ Subway where my mom works, lol <thought about her boss, isnt appropriate to say here, lets just say in the most polite way that shes a bitch> <another thought about subway, had to help close today, omg the holiday rush was sooo BAD, that line never got short, we were open almost a half hour with the lights off before the crowd started dying down!>

And I'd like to be designing enclosures and installing things that dont require the whole dash to be rebuilt ^^; (on my car i'd do it, not for a daily thing though) I could always carpet boxes too, I watched that erectile Dysfunction video on youtube (eD for the ones who just know of em as Elemental Designs) that showed how to do em, really helped out cus I had no idea how to do seams before like that.

I'd love to get into a shop where I help build Competition vehicles that go to like world finals.

1997 Pontiac Grand Am SE

Broke stock Head Unit

Stock speakers suck

Getting MECP Certified would be a plus.

Have you thought about schooling for it?

Mobile Dynamics School of Phoenix

I have looked into schooling, and I dont have any cash so I can go down and take the test, although I already know I could ace it, I'm quite sure everyone on this site (who has a build thread, gotta weed out the no post people) can install a system ^^;

I do know that it would definitly help to get the job, they claimed when I was there I could get in without it

1997 Pontiac Grand Am SE

Broke stock Head Unit

Stock speakers suck

well i know the shop that hired me, it was a huge shock because you think you know what you are doing till you realize just how many diff cars there are out there, but i wish you the best of luck man its deff an experience to work in one just dont expect to be doing a lot of custom work unless you are in a higher end shop

TEAM NEMESIS

my system

1) us amps MD3D, us amps md21

2) kicker solo x 12 in 2.7ft^3 at 37hz

Meca scores

1 xxx12" 141.8db at 40hz,

1 18 rd alpha v.2 145 db at 38hz , 2 12 orion hp 144.9 at 43hz

Refs: hollatchaboy, schrummy, nitro_freak1,Brandon15zzz,Hellbound Train

Archived