Second Skin Audio

Figuring out if i have room for..

Get ready for a novel. Sorry.

Just a heads up i intend on buying a better battery/alt and doing the big 3 to back up my system but just doing a lot of research currently before I get the comments to make sure I have the electrical, just letting you kno I am thinking about it aswell.

So basically I'm planning out what i want to do when I get some cash to use. I've been saving and for the moment i only have like 800-1k I can spend some I'm going to continue planning. I want either DC 15s or 18s. I'm 95% sure I'm going to go with the AQ2200 for the subs so I'm planning on atleast the lvl4s, possibly the Xls to ease the upgrade if i ever decide to. I think the Xls would sound pretty good with a little under rated power from the amp but maybe I'd be better off going with lvl4s or possibly even lvl4s with better coils. I'm debating on which would sound better for music in my daily driver. I want lows but still some SPL. So i guess im in the middle I planned on the box tuning to be like 32-35.

I drive an 03 Durango. I went out and measured the room i have and it came out to roughly 45 in x 44.75 in x 20in. 20 being the height of my back seats because I do not want to wall it off but could go a little higher if needed. I figured i have about 23.31 cubic ft(Check my math?) Which at first I will only be running 2 subs, which i have plenty of room for but i was worried about if in the future i want to upgrade. If i can get 4 18s in there later on i'll get 2x 18s for now and then when i upgrade itll save me a little cash but if not i have no problem going with 15s but rather have 18s because well its 18s.

If i did the math right that leaves me with 5.827 cubic ft per sub before displacement etc. According to DC's specs for a ported box it suggests 3-5 for the 15 and 5-8 for the 18. I don't want to be suffocating the 18s though. I dont fully understand all the xmax etc stuff, but im reading about it to figure out if i have enough. Those numbers say I do but its real tight.

So basically i wrote all to ask if i have room for 18s to get low and sound great comfortably? Sorry again for the novel. Post links, tell me im wrong, whatever you feel you need to do to help me out. Thanks guys, appreciate it.

Links:

DC Audio Specs - http://dcsoundlab.com/specs.html

AQ2200 - http://www.audioque.com/aq/?page_id=28

Old Setup
03 DurangoRF Power T1 6.5 CompsMids/Highs Amp: AQ4x90Sub Amp: AQ 3500.1DSubs: 2 DC XL 18sBox: 12ft^3 tuned to 33HzMechman 270 Amp AltXS 6500XS 3100 x2

Highest Score to date: 151.2 db @ Headrest

If someone could jus tell me what they think about if id be better off room wise with 4 - 15s or 4 - 18s in the future, That'd be all i need. Thanks.

Old Setup
03 DurangoRF Power T1 6.5 CompsMids/Highs Amp: AQ4x90Sub Amp: AQ 3500.1DSubs: 2 DC XL 18sBox: 12ft^3 tuned to 33HzMechman 270 Amp AltXS 6500XS 3100 x2

• 5 weeks later...

Just lookin for some feedback Thanks.

Old Setup

• 1 month later...

If someone could jus tell me what they think about if id be better off room wise with 4 - 15s or 4 - 18s in the future, That'd be all i need. Thanks.

Old Setup

Patiently waiting haha.

Old Setup

since no one will answer I say the fifteens

Teamflexissueslong.jpg

06 chrysler 300C Hemi

one mmatts dreadnaut 15 powered by a planet audio vx 2200d

fosgate p200 running planet audio 8" midbass drivers and super compression tweeters

stock battery and a stinger spv44

Irragi 300 amp alternator

big 3 1/0

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/55075-system-in-my-300c/page__view__findpost__p__763656__fromsearch__1

hey man not exactly sure with your situation but i drive a 03 explorer with rughly the same amount of space and i was told by alot of people theres really not enough room for 4 18s, i personally think there is, but i tend to listen to the experts

WARNING: I speak 4 languages, profanity, English, sarcasm & real shit

2003 ford explorer

2 RF T1 D4 15s in a 6.8 cubic ft box

1 T1500.1bdcp

250amp ALT by Mike Singer

2 runs of 0 gauge

3 yellow tops

hey man not exactly sure with your situation but i drive a 03 explorer with rughly the same amount of space and i was told by alot of people theres really not enough room for 4 18s, i personally think there is, but i tend to listen to the experts

ya I was looking at Steve's tahoe compared to the durango and I could make the box deeper but I dont see 4 18s fitting comfortably, I still may go with 2 18s if possible but think 4 15s would be the better choice after displacement etc. Either way, it was just future planning, I was either getting 2 15s, or 2 18s for now, but was depending on the future upgrade and maybe save some cash.

Old Setup

Steves box is pretty small, I think below specs for his subs, the only difference is he has an ass load of power to combat having a small box.

¿ǝɯɐƃ ǝɥʇ

Trolls never learn............

All BS aside, If I see one more comment in here that is NOT about the pre-sale, I will start the vacations. And that includes the trolls feeding the trolls.

YOU THE ONE THAT SOUND LIKE A OGER AND HUMPBACK/TROLLS?

Add "SMDLIFER" on Xbox LIVE to play with other SMD members.

Lol, it sounds like you've already made up your mind, but my 2 cents would be make the vertical measurement 24 inches in stead of 20, then you are looking at almost 7 cf per sub, plenty of breathing room.