Misconception about Batteries?

well my stock electrical stays at 14.5-14.7 even when i start my car in the morning cold, and the 2200 will only be about 2000 so is it even necessary to spend the money on an alternator

What does your stock electrical sitting at 14.5-14.7 when you start your car in the morning have to do with anything? You're adding a 200amp draw to your electrical system from a 2200 alone. Adding a second battery ain't gonna do squat to keep your voltage above 14v.

I just don't understand why people spend big money on big ass amps... and no electrical to support them. So you get a 2200watt amp and have no electrical to back it up... so it's constantly running at below rated voltage... which means you won't be putting out as much power as it's rated at. What's the point even?

-Installer for Duke's Car Stereo

2000 Pontiac Grand Prix - Ported Eaton M90 S/C, 3.5" pulley, XS Power Headers, 1.9 Rockers, FWI, Poly Motor Mounts, Custom Tune.

RF T1000-1bdCP and T400-4

Boston Acoustics SPG 555

Kenwood eXcelon 995

RF Punch 6.5" components and MB Quart Premium 6x9"s

Powermaster Alternator, YellowTop D34, Vmax CT1000

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What does your stock electrical sitting at 14.5-14.7 when you start your car in the morning have to do with anything? You're adding a 200amp draw to your electrical system from a 2200 alone. Adding a second battery ain't gonna do squat to keep your voltage above 14v.

I just don't understand why people spend big money on big ass amps... and no electrical to support them. So you get a 2200watt amp and have no electrical to back it up... so it's constantly running at below rated voltage... which means you won't be putting out as much power as it's rated at. What's the point even?

well exactly why im on here thank you, so i need an alternator if i dont wanna ruin my electrical.. right

You probably wouldnt really need a HO alt atm, but one would definately help tons. I mean I think Nightshade was running like 3kw on a stock alt, but Im sure he had them charging when he wasnt using them, so in your situation a would definately look into one. It also all depends on the size of ur current stock alt. But try hitting up DC Power, Rob or Kyle, they'll hook you up right, their on this forum.

You probably wouldnt really need a HO alt atm, but one would definately help tons. I mean I think Nightshade was running like 3kw on a stock alt, but Im sure he had them charging when he wasnt using them, so in your situation a would definately look into one. It also all depends on the size of ur current stock alt. But try hitting up DC Power, Rob or Kyle, they'll hook you up right, their on this forum.

its a stock 150 a alternator, i wont have the gain all the way up on the amp, or the deck.. and i dont really care if there is a LITTLE voltage drop

You should be fine with that alt, and some big batts, but you'll most likely still drop into the 12's. And the gain isnt a volume control it just matches the voltage between ur H/U and your amp, there a sticky in the amps section that explains it. But if you want to get the most outta of your amp go for the HO alt. It can be done with a stock alt but you'll notice a big difference with a HO alt.

You should be fine with that alt, and some big batts, but you'll most likely still drop into the 12's. And the gain isnt a volume control it just matches the voltage between ur H/U and your amp, there a sticky in the amps section that explains it. But if you want to get the most outta of your amp go for the HO alt. It can be done with a stock alt but you'll notice a big difference with a HO alt.

okay im going to go with a big battery in the trunk for a little while, then will upgrade. or should i get two matching one for front one for back

don't be scared, buy an alt!

If you have a 150 amp alt and a 200 amp rated amplifier = -50 amps to run your car. this equation is equal to the epicness of your fail...

A battery will put a bandaide on the problem not fix it.

2003 Ford F-150 Reg Cab layin body on 26's

2003 Tahoe 3/5 drop on 26's with a 408cid Supercharged engine.

2011 Camaro 2SS 2005 VW GTI Stage II ECU, CAI, 3" turbo back exhaust, FMIC, lowered 2" on some plastidipped 18's

2003 Hayabusa lowered, stretched, cams, nitrous and custom paint

You could get the biggest one you could fit for the front, and a hc2400 for the back. BUT for that money am guessing around 500+ for both batts, might as well get the H/O alt, it will be better in the long run. Plus you'll need 1/0 awg to do the Big 3, since your stock wiring is to small. I know man your thinking damn thats to much stuff but this hobby is expensive when you want to do it the right way. Not those ghetto ass installs out there.

don't be scared, buy an alt!

If you have a 150 amp alt and a 200 amp rated amplifier = -50 amps to run your car. this equation is equal to the epicness of your fail...

A battery will put a bandaide on the problem not fix it.

Good way of putting it.

You could get the biggest one you could fit for the front, and a hc2400 for the back. BUT for that money am guessing around 500+ for both batts, might as well get the H/O alt, it will be better in the long run. Plus you'll need 1/0 awg to do the Big 3, since your stock wiring is to small. I know man your thinking damn thats to much stuff but this hobby is expensive when you want to do it the right way. Not those ghetto ass installs out there.

or 2 deka intimidators, one front one back i already got 1/0 ga throughout the truck, cant figure out the big 3 since my laternator is underneath a bunch of shi

Archived