XS Power

Ok first off lets not jump to conclusions here.........lol

We are shipping a few VCMs out this week. The people that have theirs on order already will be shipping by the end of the week. To those customers that have waited.... THANK YOU!!!!

Any new orders will probably ship the middle to end of next week. We are still currently getting these packaged and ready to go, but they will not ship until next week. These are for the first applications we listed and have on the application guide on the site.

I do not have a good date on when the other applications will be ready to go. I will update you as soon as I hear a good date.

I spent some time working with the VCM yesterday and man this thing is exciting!!! The ease and control-ability of the controller is awesome! It is very easy user friendly and easy to adjust. You can increase and decrease the brightness of the controller if you want to. I did find a few things that I think people will have questions about after they start using it, and I will post and try to answer these ahead of time.

Is it a true "plug and play" module?

Yes, it is to 99.9% of the users, but there will be that .01% that dosen't think it is plug and play. I say this because you do have to connect 3 wires your self and there is now way we can get around that. The instructions lay out how to hook it up step by step and make it very easy.

Here is how you hook it up.

Connect the YELLOW fused wire to your alternator charge post with the battery.

Connect the BLACK ground wire to your alternator case or other good (BARE METAL) ground point near your alternator.

Connect the RED wire to FUSED side of a ignition switched circuit in the fuse box.

You unplug your harness plug going into your alternator and plug it into the VCM wire harness. Then you plug the VCM wire harness into your alternator.

Run the wire harness to the mounting point of your choice and mount the controller.

What are the settings for 12/14/16v applications?

12V - 14.2 to 15.2

14V/16V - 14.2 - 19.5

What can I charge my XS Power Batteries at?

IF USING THE VCM WITH XS POWER BATTERIES NEVER EXCEED THESE VOLTAGES:

12V BATTERIES - 14.9VOLTS

14V BATTERIES - 16.9VOLTS

16V BATTERIES - 19.5VOLTS

I have my VCM set to 15.2V, but my voltage is dropping to below 12V. Why?

The VCM is a Voltage Control Module. It cant make your 80 amp OEM alternator produce the power of a 250 amp dual alternator kit. For example if your system is pulling 500 amps but your alternator is only producing 80 amps, then it is going to start drawing from your battery bank. Once this happens your voltage will start to drop.

As more questions come in I will post them up on this post.

RealPower800x135_zps58408f90.jpg

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As an unbiased opinion do you think there would be a significant change if I brought the vcm when it's available for me vehicle? At idle I sit around 14-14.1 would having the vcm be worth what it cost to have it sit at 14.9? I was hoping to do 15.2 but you said max charge is 14.9.

With a unbiased opinion I would have to say that is up to the user to decide. If watching the voltage drop from 14.9 to 14 wouldn't hurt, then it prob isn't for that user. An advantage to the VCM is that you can regulate the voltage to a steady rate and keep it at that rate without any flux in your voltage.

i think what people dont see is this and correct me if i'm wrong about this-

When using the VCM, if your current charging system's voltage fluctuates some when a small load is put on it, the VCM may keep the voltage steady, but the current output will fluctuate to compensate, correct?

If this weren't true, then the alternator would be forced to put out more power than it could do prior to installation of a VCM so i'm pretty sure that's correct.

Steady voltage should be better than steady current anyhow so i still see this device worth having.

Also, correct me if i'm wrong too but if a stock alternator's regulator's set point is 14.4v or lower and a user set's his voltage via VCM to 14.9v, won't the alternator's output rating drop some to compensate?

IE -

100A alt @14.4v

Current out @14.9v = 96.6A

100A alt @ 14.1v

Current out @14.9v = 94.6A

Not a big difference at all.

However, if the alternator were rated at 14.9v and the VCM was set lower, i do not believe the current out would rise, correct?

468.png

i think what people dont see is this and correct me if i'm wrong about this-

When using the VCM, if your current charging system's voltage fluctuates some when a small load is put on it, the VCM may keep the voltage steady, but the current output will fluctuate to compensate, correct?

If this weren't true, then the alternator would be forced to put out more power than it could do prior to installation of a VCM so i'm pretty sure that's correct.

Steady voltage should be better than steady current anyhow so i still see this device worth having.

Also, correct me if i'm wrong too but if a stock alternator's regulator's set point is 14.4v or lower and a user set's his voltage via VCM to 14.9v, won't the alternator's output rating drop some to compensate?

IE -

100A alt @14.4v

Current out @14.9v = 96.6A

100A alt @ 14.1v

Current out @14.9v = 94.6A

Not a big difference at all.

However, if the alternator were rated at 14.9v and the VCM was set lower, i do not believe the current out would rise, correct?

You are correct the VCM will give you a steady output.

In our test the amperage did not drop when we stepped up the voltage.

These VCM Kits are ready to go. Please allow about 2 days for the shipment of the kit.

XSP 310-312 VCM combo kit (86-97 (and some newer years) GM applications 4 wire rectangle plug)

312.jpg

XSP 310-313 VCM combo kit (for 95 and up GM applications with 4 wire oval alternator plugs)

313.jpg

XSP 310-314 VCM combo kit (85-95 import 4 wire round plug)

XSP 310-317 VCM combo kit (84-96 import 3 wire round plug)

These are $129 plus shipping and contain the controller and the wire harness.

To make sure you are getting the correct kit you really need to check your alternator and look at the plug that goes into your alternator. The VCMs are application specific and are determined by the alternator plug. Some vehicles have different type plugs for the same year and model, so please take the time and check the plug for your alternator.

Edited by Nathan@XSPOWER