Second Skin Audio

Cone Area Of A Subwoofer

• 2 weeks later...

Well...

Not all woofers are created equal.

So, some have larger surrounds, etc making the effective cone area less.

You need to go by the effective cone area for that woofer x its xmax, to get linear displacement. "cubic liters of air"

Displacement is what we are looking for in bass. The more displacement there is = the more air being moved. Since bass is all about moving air, that means you will be louder.

If everything is done correctly.

The very first thing I look at in a woofer is displacement, then bl, the qts,qes, then power.

Hope i didnt confuse anyone.

Im done for now.

hey...could you please explane to me personally what bl, the qts,qes,are? and how they determine or effect a woofer?

• 5 months later...

Well...if you want to get reeeely technical, pi is "22/7"

I doubt anyone will need pi to the 100th decimal place, but :shrug:

I don't have anything to contribute to the cone area discussion, but as far as math goes, 22/7 is not correct as Pi for anything outside of 9th grade geometry. Pi still has not been fully calculated. 3.14159265 is the generally accepted (yet still rounded) value for Pi.

Warning, you are taking advice from a noob with 0 install experience at this point, any advice I give is strictly based on information gathered via the intrawebz and lots of forum surfing over a period of 2 months

If you are considering buying a DC Level 5, do it. Don't think about it, just do it. It'll work.

go to lowes get bricks wait in yard. throw said brick at vehicle. If thats me and that just happened to me Im going looking for him after that.

1. Goto lowes

2. Get some bricks

3. ???

4. PROFIT!!

Profit from everything. LOVE ideas like this. xD

• 1 year later...

Why would cone area not be calculated like an actual....cone? As in, (1/3) x pi x r x r x h, where h is the depth of the cone from where it meets the surround to where it meets the former?

There really are no more flat piston subs out there today, yet we still calculate area as if they all were.

I dunno, that's how I'd go about it. Link

2016 Subaru BRZ | Sony XAV-AX100 | Rockford Fosgate DSM 4080 & DSM 40ix |

On 6/6/2012 at 6:32 PM, 'LZTYBRN' said:

3. Don't put speakers outside the car unless you are the ice cream man.

My feedback thread

Why would cone area not be calculated like an actual....cone? As in, (1/3) x pi x r x r x h, where h is the depth of the cone from where it meets the surround to where it meets the former?

There really are no more flat piston subs out there today, yet we still calculate area as if they all were.

You're actually calculating cone volume and not cone area.

conerr.jpg

• 3 months later...

Because the excited air mass is effectively a linear piston area where it meets the cone of the woofer. The cone shape gives no increase over a flat piston.

MickyMcD - "Capable of making some serious trouser flapping volumes at where's-my-testicles frequencies, the Servo-Drives used to be fairly jaw dropping..."

Any time you have have a power wire next to your frame put some rubber hosing (or cut up an innertube) around it. The wire is bound to wiggle (due to driving or flex) and the casing will eventually wear through.

Hammerdown... 1%

no links to outside websites, business related FB/YT pages allowed.

• 8 months later...

other than added strength

The Midget Looks Into Your Soul

2008 Dodge am 3500HD with the 6.7 Cummins

Race Me tuner, dpf deleted

kenwood double din

cheap walmart speakers for now(infinity reference comps comps coming soon)

2 kicker L5's in a ported box of unknown tuning lol(soon to be changed)

Power acoustic 1500.1 on the subs (for now)

even that is debatable, but if you just want a basic structure without doing any work, sure.

MickyMcD - "Capable of making some serious trouser flapping volumes at where's-my-testicles frequencies, the Servo-Drives used to be fairly jaw dropping..."

Any time you have have a power wire next to your frame put some rubber hosing (or cut up an innertube) around it. The wire is bound to wiggle (due to driving or flex) and the casing will eventually wear through.

Hammerdown... 1%

no links to outside websites, business related FB/YT pages allowed.

• 3 months later...

great read. yeah a couple months ago I changed out my 2 15s for 4 8s. I could tell the diff in output (less). However, I like the sound of the 8s cause they're sharper. They go as low, but deffly dont move the metal. So its not always about moving the air, tuning freq matters too, if you want spl, ground pounding, sq etc. Sure even if I had 16 8s, the low freqs just wont be as prominent as a few 15s, The 8s will prolly give more spl, but higher freq than the 15s, a totally different sound....

• 2 months later...

Archived