car went up in flames today

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He definitly cant fire you for that. If you did get your job back they`d just treat you like shit for getting it back. You`ll just get the worst of the worst, so it`s a good thing your happy about lookin for a better job. GL in the job search and congrats on everything being covered.

reaper.png

dccavalier,

Man, reading threads like this really take one's breath away. I've been in and around car audio since 1984. In my time, I can't tell you how many fires that I've seen due to a rushed installation. When you're dealing with 4 gauge and larger cables, shorts are sometimes unforgiving - especially when you have batteries located somewhere other than stock. You absolutely, positively must ensure that you are placing fuses or circuit breakers where they can protect the wiring to the fullest and that they are sized appropriately based on the current capacity of the cables. For example, if you locate a battery in the rear of the vehicle, the run of cable from the front to rear MUST be fused at both ends - preferably within 18" of each battery.

PM me your address and I'll send you an autographed copy of my book Automotive Wiring and Electrical Systems at no charge. Chapter 6 and Chapter 8 have extremely detailed explanations of how to safely upgrade your charging system, protecting the cables, safely adding an auxiliary battery, etc. For anyone else, I guarantee you that my book is cheap insurance so that you don't experience the same thing.

I'm glad that your insurance company covered you fully. Now . . . let's not see any more threads like this at SMD! Best of luck to you in the rebuild!

Tony Candela - SMD Sales & Marketing
Email me at [email protected] to learn about becoming an SMD Partner!

CEAES_468.gif

dccavalier,

Man, reading threads like this really take one's breath away. I've been in and around car audio since 1984. In my time, I can't tell you how many fires that I've seen due to a rushed installation. When you're dealing with 4 gauge and larger cables, shorts are sometimes unforgiving - especially when you have batteries located somewhere other than stock. You absolutely, positively must ensure that you are placing fuses or circuit breakers where they can protect the wiring to the fullest and that they are sized appropriately based on the current capacity of the cables. For example, if you locate a battery in the rear of the vehicle, the run of cable from the front to rear MUST be fused at both ends - preferably within 18" of each battery.

PM me your address and I'll send you an autographed copy of my book Automotive Wiring and Electrical Systems at no charge. Chapter 6 and Chapter 8 have extremely detailed explanations of how to safely upgrade your charging system, protecting the cables, safely adding an auxiliary battery, etc. For anyone else, I guarantee you that my book is cheap insurance so that you don't experience the same thing.

I'm glad that your insurance company covered you fully. Now . . . let's not see any more threads like this at SMD! Best of luck to you in the rebuild!

snafu, your book has helped me alot, I am almost done reading it and have really enjoyed it and have learned alot. dccav, grab his book; even if you're not a noob you can get something out of this book.

I sold joobles my sundown 2000d and I haven't had time to send it out. I had full coverage but I don't kn ow if I should mention the system

Hell yea tell them about the system they might just give you something for it.

XS Power D5100, 2 D2700s, & 2 D975s

MechMan 220a Alt

DC 5K

Kicker 650.4

2 12 Ascendant Audio Mayhem's

Pioneer DEH-P7200HD

Rockford Fosgate 3sity.1

Build log: http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/166792-88-nissan-maxima-trunk-build/#entry2430899

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/191439-lexus-is300-fi-crescendo-shca-rf-pics/

Archived