Stiffening Roof

What are some of the ways you guys stiffen your roofs? i have done the extreme style were i stacked mdf and spray foamed the gap. On this project (trailblazer) i want to stiffen the roof but stil be able to put the headliner back in. So im looking for options. I have thought of kerfing mdf or layering 1/4 inch birch ( because it would curve easily) down to the bottom of the roof braces.What adhesive has worked the best for you guys when gluing wood to dynamate extreme. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

• 3 months later...

fab up some metal braces and weld them in FTW!

Custom Sounds NW takes your ideas and turns them into your reality.

Custom enclosures, consultations, service and installation of mobile electronics and home theater equipment.

References available!

My FB Page

Two fully loaded fi SSD18's + Soundstream Rubicon RUB1.2500D wired to .5 ohm for 3600 RMS = Bass for your face!

its crazy what deadener does, bass14's roof in his ranger had the supports broken in his roof from his bass. you could push it down in the middle and it would flex and rattle like crazy, he put a few layers of deadener in it and now you can hit it and all it does is thud. doesnt move at all big improvement.

1992 cavalier build

1992 blazer s10

kenwood cd

hifonics hfi2500d

6 soon to be 12 12" hifonics hfi12d4's

shit ton-o-wire

Blurred Vision Audio

Team SMD

feedback/refs. clicky!-

Stiffening tehe sheet metal with steel slats is ideal, however not eveyone wants to weld those in to place.

In extreme SPL situations we have a formula for amazing success.

Here is what we have found to be amazing!!!

2 Gallons Spectrum noise coating

1 gallon SPL Strands (our own mix of stiff rubber strands that create an underground network within the coating)

1/2 Gallon portand - Powdered cement mix (no sand)

1/2 Gallon Water

This has the viscosity of cemen mix but due to the resin in the Spectrum, it is vry sticky and strong.

Once curet, the stuff is rock solid.

ANT

secondskin_468x60.gif

Well when you kerf wood, it takes away strength and rigidity.

You can do like this.

Ed Lester

ShowtimeSPL Host

Showtime Electronics Video Marketing

My old Build Log
http://www.stevemead...08/#entry511451

http://www.youtube.com/showtimespl

TeamDeadlyHertz-HHREd.png

5 time dB Drag Finalist
Last ride 2007 HHR, current dB 153.5 and bass race 149.4 dB. 153.0 dB on music

New Ride, 2008 HHR SS. Build under way.
Loudest score ever = 171dB
2009 dB Drag Racing, North American Points Champion

Stiffening tehe sheet metal with steel slats is ideal, however not eveyone wants to weld those in to place.

In extreme SPL situations we have a formula for amazing success.

Here is what we have found to be amazing!!!

2 Gallons Spectrum noise coating

1 gallon SPL Strands (our own mix of stiff rubber strands that create an underground network within the coating)

1/2 Gallon portand - Powdered cement mix (no sand)

1/2 Gallon Water

This has the viscosity of cemen mix but due to the resin in the Spectrum, it is vry sticky and strong.

Once curet, the stuff is rock solid.

ANT

Do like that too.

I really wanna try that SPL strand sludge

Ed Lester

ShowtimeSPL Host

Showtime Electronics Video Marketing

My old Build Log
http://www.stevemead...08/#entry511451

http://www.youtube.com/showtimespl

TeamDeadlyHertz-HHREd.png

5 time dB Drag Finalist
Last ride 2007 HHR, current dB 153.5 and bass race 149.4 dB. 153.0 dB on music

New Ride, 2008 HHR SS. Build under way.
Loudest score ever = 171dB
2009 dB Drag Racing, North American Points Champion

• 2 weeks later...

And a flat piece of wood that has been kerfed to make an arch, is even weaker, due to the amount of wood removed to bend it. Takes away from it's rigidity.

Many people say ideally here, if you are going to the extremes of needing to reinforce your roof, to shoehorn a system into your car, why now just do it with steel? I understand a lot of people who compete can't do this, due to regulations and such, but it seems the easiest way to me. Though, I have a welder and access to metal, and the time and experience to do it this way. Not everyone does.

Custom Sounds NW takes your ideas and turns them into your reality.

Custom enclosures, consultations, service and installation of mobile electronics and home theater equipment.

References available!

My FB Page

Two fully loaded fi SSD18's + Soundstream Rubicon RUB1.2500D wired to .5 ohm for 3600 RMS = Bass for your face!

And a flat piece of wood that has been kerfed to make an arch, is even weaker, due to the amount of wood removed to bend it. Takes away from it's rigidity.

if you do a kerf rite there shouldnt be any void spots, it should be filled with resin or wood glue. when i do it however i always and a few layers of fiberglass over the bent area, its not weaker

Archived