Mechman Alternators

14 Volt battery demo - VIDEO -

14v batt, yes, but stays at 16.1v while alt running, resting is what, 14-15v Iam sure?

So with this battery 12volt alt + MLA module 15.7volts would be perfect?

or you just charge it with your 12v system (14.4v), but keep the electrical from the 14v batts only to amps or electrical that like 16v+?

Or 16v alt needed?

I know 15-15.7v is ok on the stock electrical according to MLA, but this seems like 1 whole more volt?

possible computer issues, etc?

nm... I used the Google look up and found 16v external regulators.. lol

edit2:

I actually watched the vid, looks like XS is the sht, thinking ahead of the pack

The D1400 rests around 15.0 volts.

15.7 volts would be at the very bottom of the reccomended charging voltage range. That would be like charging a 12 volt battery at 13.2 volts. It works, but it wouldn't put the best charge on the battery.

Some vehicle's computers will not put up with 16.5ish volts, but the vast majority of vehicles on the road won't be bothered by it. Both my Mustang and my truck have been running as high as 16.8 volts daily, with no problems.

• 1 month later...

Looks amazing I might have to try this out

*** SuperSeller Status Verified *** ( http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/25829-super-sellers-buyers/ )

"kevosinn's" astro van
8 custom Sundown Zv4 18's
4 Sundown scv 6000's
CNF Distribution CNC parts
Skyhigh wire

some batteries

SMD Meters and tools used on the install
http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/172877-kevosinns-vanwest-coast-skyhigh-car-audio-vehicle/

16,000 watt walled silverado build.
http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/161965-walled-silverado-4-hdc4-15s-4-crescendo-3500s-and-much-more/

8,000 watt 1999 Subaru legacy outback. Build log here: http://www.stevemead...ru/page__st__60

TEAM CNF Distribution

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

The primary advantage to the D1400 batteries, is that you can run 16.8 volts on them without burning up the batteries. People have been running charging voltage of 16+ volts on 12 volt batteries for years, but they find that the batteries end up swelling and failing in a very short time.

The 14 volt D1400 battery allows you to charge at 15.8 - 16.8 volts without overheating the battery. Increasing alternator voltage by 1-2 volts does not hurt the alternator at all, in fact, in some cases it can actually slightly increase the amperage of the alternator. Overall wattage output of the alternator will always be increased.

16 volt batteries are charged at 19.2 volts, which is way too high to run on a headunit, or stock electronics. On most vehicles, 16.5 volts is no big deal for the stock electrical.

Wow this is awesome information, but my only problem is I have a 2008 mazda 6 and I haven't found a voltage module for my car. If I run the D1400 with my stock 110A alt without a voltage module will I harm anything that way? I'm sorry I know this is an old post

Woofer:Fully loaded(3inch coil)15 inch Fi BL 4 cubic ft box tuned to 32hz

Bass Amp: Audioque 1200d(just purchased a Sundown Audio SAX 1200d)

Highs/Mids Amp: Alpine PDX 4.100

Door Speakers: Alpine Type R and S 6.5's

Vehicle: 2008 Mazda 6 stock alt and soon to be XS Power S1200 0gauge ran from batt to cap and 4 gauge to both amps

Hold on a minute.

If you have a 200 amp alt at 14.8, that alt won't do 200 amps at 16.8, alts makes same power not same current. I can prove this with my VCM. And electrical theory of ac generator/alternators also proves this as well. You have to change the components of the alt to make it produce more current at a higher voltage.

TEAM SOUNDQUBED -- TEAM SOUTH

TEAM S.O.B. - Founder & Captain

3x Streetbeat World Record Holder

2017 MWSPL 1st place Mayhem & 4th Xtreme 4 
2016 MWSPL 1st place Mayhem/2nd Adv 4/2nd Xtreme 4
2015 MWSPL 2nd place Mayhem & 4th Xtreme 4
2014 USACI 2nd place Streetbeat 5 - 162.6 db
2014 MWSPL 2nd place Xtreme 4 - 144.9 db
2013 USACI 1st place Streetbeat 4 - 161.9 db
2013 USACI 1st place Street Q+ - 162.8 db
2013 MWSPL 3rd Kaos2 & 4th Xtreme 4
2011 USACI 2nd place MOD 1001-2k - 160.0 db
2011 MWSPL 4th place: Adv3 - 157.8 db, Kaos2 - 150s db, Xtreme4 - 140s db
2010 ARSPL 1st place 501-750 - 160.3 db Arkansas loudest

Best score to date 164.4 db - Termlab Outlaw

Streetbeat 4 - 161.9 db

Streetbeat 5 - 162.6 db

MWSPL on Dash Legal door open (Music) - 162.5 db

Sealed on dash Legal (Music) - 161.1 db - Termlab

THE BLACK NASTY CURRENT BUILD & FAB

The Black Nasty (6) 15 Rebuild Log 2012

(4) 15 Walled Sierra Build Log

Evo X build log

Facebook page The Black Nasty

16163044_large.gif

The primary advantage to the D1400 batteries, is that you can run 16.8 volts on them without burning up the batteries. People have been running charging voltage of 16+ volts on 12 volt batteries for years, but they find that the batteries end up swelling and failing in a very short time.

The 14 volt D1400 battery allows you to charge at 15.8 - 16.8 volts without overheating the battery. Increasing alternator voltage by 1-2 volts does not hurt the alternator at all, in fact, in some cases it can actually slightly increase the amperage of the alternator. Overall wattage output of the alternator will always be increased.

16 volt batteries are charged at 19.2 volts, which is way too high to run on a headunit, or stock electronics. On most vehicles, 16.5 volts is no big deal for the stock electrical.

Wow this is awesome information, but my only problem is I have a 2008 mazda 6 and I haven't found a voltage module for my car. If I run the D1400 with my stock 110A alt without a voltage module will I harm anything that way? I'm sorry I know this is an old post

that will not work. Your stock alternator will not charge a D1400 battery, as the resting voltage of the battery is higher than the setpoint of the regulator. The alternator has to be modified to charge at a minumum of 15.8 volts to maintain a D1400. 16.8 volts is ideal charging voltage for a D1400. We can build a custom high output alternator for you that is set up to charge 14 volt batteries. It would be in the $500-$600 price range for a 240 amp, 14 volt unit.

Hold on a minute.

If you have a 200 amp alt at 14.8, that alt won't do 200 amps at 16.8, alts makes same power not same current. I can prove this with my VCM. And electrical theory of ac generator/alternators also proves this as well. You have to change the components of the alt to make it produce more current at a higher voltage.

Increasing the charging voltage of an alternator does not always reduce the amperage output. Overall Kw output of an alternator is not always the same, sometimes it can be increased by operating at a higher voltage. It varries unit to unit, but some unit's rotor fields are strengthened by higher charging voltages, resulting in slightly higher amperage output at a higher charging voltage. (overall Kw output us increased) It just depends on the unit and it's design.