Sonic Electronix

why is it bad to use bass boost on amp

my amp doesnt have a regular bass boost knob its just a switch off and then +12db check out the picture ..

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_426_Kenwood+KAC-7201.html

its just a temporary amp and i was using this with bass boost on for like a year and i think using that is killing my sub i can hear the distortion at high volumes and i think its on its way on bottoming out ...

i have heard some people say that u should never use bass boost because it send a clipped signal to ur sub and i think this is my case i would like if some one would explain this to me because if i dont use bass boost my sub just doesnt knock ass hard is there any way of making it sound ass good with outh using bass boost?? thanks to anyone that helps

cowboys_logo.gif

do you know how to set gains with a DMM? start with that and see if it sounds better. and "ass" is like your butt, "as" is like "sound as good" lol. unless you think ass sounds good.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

You can get a more powerful amp... I wouldn't ever use bass boost because like you said, it can cause clipping. Make sure ur gains are set right, could be that they are set too low. But I don't know what sub you have, otherwise I could help you more. If the sub is rated for more then 460rms, then you should get more. If it's rated for about that much or less, you might want to get a better sub/amp or more subs/amps. If you can hear the distortion from your sub, that is pretty bad.

as468x60pxbanner.gif

My Youtube Page. Check it out

The "SAV" - Sub-aural Assault Vehicle

Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X993

Image Dynamics CTX 6.5" Components

Q-logic 6.5" kick pods

CDT 6.5" CL-E6NEO Front door Midbass

Kicker ZX350.4

Knukonceptz SS Karma 4 channel 6m RCA

Fi Q 18" w/ brushed aluminum dust cap

7cu ft. ported box tuned to 28hz

Sundown SAZ-1000D

Iraggi 240 amp Amputator Alt

Big 3 in Monster 1/0awg

Second Skin Damplifier Lite on roof and front doors

and "ass" is like your butt, "as" is like "sound as good" lol. unless you think ass sounds good.

lol you funny

1997 Chevrolet Cavalier Two 12" DC Audio XL M2'sCrescendo Audio BC5500d

Current Scores: 150+ out the Trunk

On 6/30/2011 at 1:11 AM, 'Ray' said:

Acoustical energy is free. Electrical energy is not.

You can get a more powerful amp... I wouldn't ever use bass boost because like you said, it can cause clipping. Make sure ur gains are set right, could be that they are set too low. But I don't know what sub you have, otherwise I could help you more. If the sub is rated for more then 460rms, then you should get more. If it's rated for about that much or less, you might want to get a better sub/amp or more subs/amps. If you can hear the distortion from your sub, that is pretty bad.

alpine type r 12" dvc 2 ohm wired at 4ohm and bridged for 460 rms at 4ohm my gains is set at 2 volts so is before half i set it up that way to match my head unit pre out of 2 volts (the hz is like at 50hz is the lowest it goes my guess its because a 2channel amp) i dont have a dmm so i just went off my headunit pre out .. and also am not to familiar setting my gain with the dmm can u explain how to use it i got access to one in a couple weeks or might even buy one .... and like i said its only a temporary amp

cowboys_logo.gif

do you know how to set gains with a DMM? start with that and see if it sounds better. and "ass" is like your butt, "as" is like "sound as good" lol. unless you think ass sounds good.

hahhaha lmao ...yes ass does sound good but fail on writing as with one "s" lol ..well anyway no i dont know how to set my gain with a multi meter ..lol please explain

cowboys_logo.gif

causes clipping/ makes distortion = dead sub

and for those who keep saying never use it ever

depending on your amp you sometimes have to use it, i know with my powerbass 3000's i need to use it 1/4" up

to get the most out of my amp

R.I.P!

(Nov-29-2009)

92 explorer

- 4 Atomic Apxx 15s duel .7s - 4rth order bandpass wall -4 powerbass XA-3000D's - 16 8volt batts wired to 16 volts - (9+/9-) runs 0gauge - 152.3 Db @ 29hz

current build

97 chevy lumina4 - 1 Atomic Apx 18 - 6 cube slot port trunk sealed off - 1 powerbass XA-3000D - 2 optima G31s in spare tire18 1 run 1/0

1998 Plymouth Voyager (daily)

Jensen VM9213 H.U. (I Know but I havent had any problems.... yet)

5.25" Factory -> Sound Stream SST5.2

6x9 Hifonics ZXi 693 -> Sound Stream SST6.9

Amp: Class D: Crescendo 3KWP (x2)

Class A/B: Crescendo 1000C4

Sub: Almani S-7 10" (x6)

I set mine up at first by turning up my bass boost all the way, then I set my gain. This would have been perfect as it made the bass boost (my bass knob) able to turn the sub down, which was great when my wife was in the car. The down side is it worked great for rap and not at all for just about any other kind of music.

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

Archived