Second Skin Audio

What are pro vs con on 3" vs 4" Voice coils?

Hotdog

when someone comes to me for a high efficiency woofer, I go with a shorter coil, lighter moving mass cone, stiffer spider, and Fs usually will end up, and stay in the mid 40s

efficient at a lower Fs, I usually use a very high Bl coil, copper wire, with a lot of layers, and use a softer suspension. I have a special 18" cone/spider combo that I use to make low Fs woofers that are really efficient , and handle pretty good power

When I say low Fs 18s, Iam talking about 13-16hz with a Bl of 68 - 80TM, hence a 18" that can go in 1.7cf sealed, or 2.5-3cf ported low

Nice.. have to hit you up some time.

I think all my questions have been answered.. hopefully anyone else wanting to know differences between coils can use this thread as starting point.

• 5 years later...
  • Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 years later...

Everything is dependent on application and goals. If subs had all the same design goals, they would all be the same just like air brakes on a big rig. Just Saying 

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

Archived