Sonic Electronix

Okay, so i finally got my new set up, and everything hooked up.

I have a Kicker Solo X 18'' sub, running at 2 ohms connected to an AudioPipe 3000.

Im using the stock alternator, (about 100 amp) and an optima bluetop. I got the Bluetop bc the store didnt have the yellowtop in stock, and the bluetop is exactly the same as a yellowtop except with the extra terminals. (i think?)

Right now i just have the one battery, but i think im going to get another and throw it in the trunk. (should i?)

Im also using 5g wire, for now. Big 3 upgrade soon with 0 g.

Im quite positive everything is ran correctly, and grounded correctly. My rca cables and all that are fairly new, so no problems there.

Now, for the problem. =[

Everyhting runs fine, and i can crank the volume up to a decent level, but NOWHERE near maximum. Once i turn it up, and slowly turn up the bass nob, at about 1/3 of the way (on the bass nob) and 2/3 of the way (on the head unit) everything shuts off. (headunit turns off and amp enters protect mode then after a few seconds everything starts back up)

Im wondering if when my amp goes into protect, its causing the head unit to shut off, or if its vice-versa, and my head unit is shutting off and causing my amp to go into protect.

Ive checked my voltage, and its the same directly at the battery/terminals and directly at the amp. So no problems in them wires. When turned down i have a fairly constant 15.5 volts. (on the regular 12 volt optima bluetop?) when i turn it up to a decent, yet still low level i get drops down to anywhere between 13-15. right before everything shuts off (volumes turned up more at 1/3 bass nob and 2/3 headunit) i get a drop to about 11, and then "kahphutt" everything turns off and restarts.

What in the world is my problem?

More information:

My gains on the amp are set at about half, and the bass boost is set at half. My box is 6.6 cubic ft, tuned to 36 hz. (i used every bit of space in my trunk, custom fit box)

My head unit is one of them slightly generic ones with the 7 inch fold out , non-touchscreen screen)

Also, my amp is screwed into the back of my seat, which is carpeted, but has metal under the carpet. I heard that you shouldnt mount the amp on a metal surface, just recently tho, so should i mount amp to wood then wood to seat?

Im not using a cap (waste right?) or should i?

Any help will be greatly appreciated, if anyone can help, please please do. Ive been doing all of this on my own, with no prior knowledge of car audio, just what i can learn on the internet, and on these forums.

Thanks everyone for their time, and even if u just read this and dont have any answers for me, sorry its so long.

Work in Progress:

Custom '93 Nissan 240sx painted orange with custom orange & black interior.

18'' Kicker Solo X in a 6.6 cubic ft box, tuned to 35 hz

AudioPipe 3000 amp - possibly another sometime in the future

Shitty wire -knu 0g coming very soon

Stock alt - iraggi 200 amp alt coming pretty soon

optima blue top - xs power coming soon

suggestions? shoot me a pm.

Shit you need more batteries. and an alt if you can swing it. but at least another battery.

and 5g wire? where did you even purchase that?

Just do the big 3 in Knu 1\0 and do a run of 1\0 (or 2 runs) to the back... and make sure you have a super solid ground in the back.

and for a ground under the hood, use the shock tower. works best in my experience, but someone can feel free to correct me.

Shit you need more batteries. and an alt if you can swing it. but at least another battery.

and 5g wire? where did you even purchase that?

Just do the big 3 in Knu 1\0 and do a run of 1\0 (or 2 runs) to the back... and make sure you have a super solid ground in the back.

and for a ground under the hood, use the shock tower. works best in my experience, but someone can feel free to correct me.

thanks man for the help.

yeah, so should i shoot for 2 batteries if i can afford it?

and whats the shock tower? and i have a nissan 240 sx, hatch, right where my amp is i can run a ground to my rear shocks, think that would be str8?

and the 5 g wire, walmart, their little amp kit thing, i was using it on my old system (only 500 watts) it might be 4g or 6, im not sure lol.

Work in Progress:

lol theres your problem, walmart wireing, im running tsunami in my jeep shits golden :P, but i also have my amp mounted on the back seat, havent had anyproblems waht so ever, just re check your wiring and reset your gains with a meter( idr what its called, im half asleep, DMM i think correct me if im wrong)

Edit: a second battery aswell as a H/O alt should help and/or correct the problem, running 3k on a stock alt is iffy

Edited by Freshman6969

Legal TL scores145.6 on the dash sealed up in the low 40hz area with the port out145.5 on the dash sealed up @30hz with the port inless then 1k clamped on a 3.5k!

Why would you EVER WANT flex?
huh?...flex is what can make the lows lower and more air being pushed correct?
jeff_zps9bc81ace.jpg

me_zps0fb5a5b4.jpgMy FeedbackJeep-BuildlogPT LOSER buildlog

lol theres your problem, walmart wireing, im running tsunami in my jeep shits golden :P, but i also have my amp mounted on the back seat, havent had anyproblems waht so ever, just re check your wiring and reset your gains with a meter( idr what its called, im half asleep, DMM i think correct me if im wrong)

Edit: a second battery aswell as a H/O alt should help and/or correct the problem, running 3k on a stock alt is iffy

thanks, do you have any suggestions for the cheapest yet still good ho alt?

where to go?

and how hard are these things to install?

Work in Progress:

thanks, do you have any suggestions for the cheapest yet still good ho alt?

where to go?

and how hard are these things to install?

If you're a gearhead as well as a basshead.. not that hard. but you do have to take your belt off the motor and undo the belt tensioner ... bolt on the new alt and then put the belt back on and retension the belt...

and Iraggi is the best IMO but I think DC power's alts are a little cheaper. look for at least 140 amps at idle and you'll be all set....

and that walmart wiring.. walmart 4ga=Knu 8ga. so not only is it smaller, it's not as conductive. just go with all 1\0 from http://www.knukonceptz.com/

and a ground in the trunk.. just look for a solid bolt back there.. try to grind away some paint for a good metal-metal connection....

and I was talking about the Big 3 when i said run the ground to the shock tower... I meant when you do the frame-battery ground, run the wire from your shock tower under the hood to your battery.

This is a pic of mine... it's run to the shock tower, just loose.. before I zip tied it down. It is underneath one of the bolts for the shock tower

0323102200.jpg

and you need a new battery up front .. for sure like 100% sure... and one in the back.. you could get away with not having one in the back but you might have some performance issues if you play for longer than 2-3 songs in a row at full volume.

I'd recommend the XS power batteries... like a d3400 up front.. and whatever the most you can afford in the back. make sure it fits in your car though.

with all that you'll be super rock solid.

thank man this sounds great. the bluetop i got upfront is a d34, new, i just got it last week. but ill grab another batt as soon as i can afford it. first ill be doing the big 3 with this next paycheck, then probably save for a batt and save for a alt. im juss 17 so i dont have bookoo money or nothing, and my job is juss 7.25 an hr, so its gonna take some time, but ill get there.

Work in Progress:

and im also thinking of grabbin another audiopipe 3000. would a 200 amp irragi and 2 batts (1 up front (optima) and an xs power in the back) be okay for this, or would i need more batts? and how do i go about connecting 2 amps to 1 bass nob?

Work in Progress:

and im also thinking of grabbin another audiopipe 3000. would a 200 amp irragi and 2 batts (1 up front (optima) and an xs power in the back) be okay for this, or would i need more batts? and how do i go about connecting 2 amps to 1 bass nob?

if you were to grab another amp, the irragi alt should be fine aswell as the second battery, not exactly sure how youd go about doing to amps 1 knob, i know for a fact it could happen due to steves hoe, he has multipul amps on one knob, just scroll around and pretty sure youll find it, and wuts the specs on that kicker you got, in my head im thinking the one 3000watts would be enough then again i could be wrong so....

free bump :D

Edit: if you still looking for wiring check around the for sale section, shit tons of 0g floating around for dirt cheap

Edited by Freshman6969

Legal TL scores145.6 on the dash sealed up in the low 40hz area with the port out145.5 on the dash sealed up @30hz with the port inless then 1k clamped on a 3.5k!

Why would you EVER WANT flex?
huh?...flex is what can make the lows lower and more air being pushed correct?
jeff_zps9bc81ace.jpg

me_zps0fb5a5b4.jpgMy FeedbackJeep-BuildlogPT LOSER buildlog

not sure if you should run an optima and an xs in the back. I seen in another thread that you should run the same brand . I dont see a problem with running them like that but maybe someone with more experience with batts will help you with that. But it wont hurt to email nathan @ xs power for more info on there batts plus check there section on the forum if you havent already. hope this helps a liitle sounds like your off to a good start and good luck.

Vehicle: 1995 Impala SSHead Unit: Pioneer AVH-P4400BHMids And Highs: (still deciding)Batteries: 1 Deka Group 34

Time to make a race car.My Build Log: Solo X 12"http://www.stevemead...don15zzz-build/My Build Log: DC lvl 4 xl 15"http://www.stevemead...don15zzz-build-My Wall Build Log: 4 Lanzar 15's/ 3k+ RMShttp://www.stevemead...t-by-techforce/My Feedback:http://www.stevemead...1