Tinting back window on saturn SL Series

madboyog

Put the tint on the outside of the clean wet window, trim it to size, (make sure you have the sticky side up or you will have it cut backwords).

Squeegee the air bubbles/watter out of the tint, as if you where tinting the window for real.

You will notice fingers starting to come up around the sides of the tint. You will need a heat gun, lots of patience, and a hard card ( or orange crush is what i work with) and lightly heat the tint shrinking it and sliding the hard card down the finger. until its flat.

If your an inexperienced tinter, I STRONGLY suggest grabbing some scrap tint, and practice heat shrinking the tint a few times before going at it with 1 big piece of tint.

Always make sure your windows are clean before applying tint. Use soap water to clean. DO NOT use WINDEX or any other glass cleaner that has ammonia in it.

When mixing your solution use Johnsens baby shampoo. Just the plain stuff unscented. Mix 1 teaspoon per pint or so of DISTILLED water. You can use dish soap, but its not the best for the tint.

The tear free baby shampoo is the best to use, unless your using the actual tinting solution (but DO NOT use the gila tint solution (the stuff is worse then using normal dish soap and tap water).

Make sure to keep the tint wet (both sides) to prevent scratching and creasing when squeegeeing.

Heres some great tools to use:

ACT1229-Orange-Crusher-Hand.jpg

ACPA2300b4inbluebondo.jpg

ACT1023-red.jpg

thanks, i've been quoted at least $500 twice just for the back window. apparently not even pros want to do it lol. im thinking i can cut it into 4 pieces, the main flat part into two, and a piece on each side that wraps around. not quite sure yet

its a pain in the ass but you just gotta get a couple boxes of tint strips and try everything you can to get it done. no easy way of tinting those windows

A real tinter done by a professional does not piece tint together..

Im far from pro, and do it on the side for my rides and friends, and dont even piece tint.

Could easily get that window done in under a hour. Ive done far worse windows already :)

That window can EASILY be done in 1 piece without bubbles or fingers!

Yea, wise idea. You want at least 65+ degrees outside to tint on a non windy day, unless your doing it indoors.

Just curious about a few things.

What kind of tint are you using?

These shops that quoted you $500 for the back window alone, are most likely not reputable at all..

If they told you that it would be pieced together, STAY FAR AWAY FROM THEM.

What kind of tint do they use? Brand name & series?

What kind of warranty do they offer, will they make you come back 24 hours later to do something called a "roll down" where they want to roll the windows down first before you ever do, so if issue arise they can be fixed properly.

Just a couple of things to ask them, such as seeing past tint work they have done.

If you went to these places and they are tinting out of a dirty dusty install bay, STAY AWAY FROM THEM.

Many reputable tint shops offer packages starting at $199 for a full tint job using an economy tint with a 3 year warranty.

Theres many tint forums online such as:

http://www.tintdude.com/forum/

Here is a VERY GOOD Article evolving what you should ask, and expect from a professional company.

You should read over it, and some of the other things on this site.

http://www.tintcenter.com/articles/bt_shops.html

And here is a boat I recently tinted a couple months ago for a buddy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGhx5AAS5co

the tint I used was black magic, i didnt ask what the shops were using but the two shops that are charging $500 are cartunes and some other one. its not really the window that they charge me for because most places DO have a set price for a certain number of windows, since the labor for the back window is so extensive they charge a lot more. the glass bends in a weird way, so its a 50/50 chance if the tint will stick to it. i either get quoted around $450 and more, or they wont even try to work on my car. ive called around maybe 6 or 7 places (cant remember the names) and these are the only two options to pay a lot or do it myself. I dont think the places cut them up either, which is what makes it harder with one whole window

theres a very reputable place in my town that will tint side door windows for $30 per window, $15 for small vent windows (on the front or rear doors), and $70-140 for rear window.

Heres another place that does quality work and offers full car packages with econemy tint from $150 + depending on what brand tint you get done.

http://www.perfecttouchwindowtint.com/index.html

Where are you located? Im willing to do your window(s)If you war somewhat local with Llumar, or Suntek Carbon tint (both quality tints) but you will have to pay for the tint I use on your car, and a small labor charge. Ill do your whole car for under 200 with quality film. Not no Gila or black magic that you buy at walmart, menards, or autopart stores. Even that stuff that says FADE RESISTANT will fade with in a years time and turn purple! The cheap tint is also so thing (almost like saran wrap) and is a PITA to tint with!

Archived