DC Sound Lab

Level 4XL vs Level5 for burps\driveby

yes, your right! that goes along with the weight issue too.

I tend to use XS Power batts for there good quick discharge capability.

I dont know what the voltage drop is but my batts(even though it's just stock and 2 xs's) remain at 100% charged after a show so i can't charge them, lol unless i beat on it for a while.

I also only use stock alternator. I'm working with DC Power on that but besides that-

Yes, poor electrical and poor sub choice for amps being used right now = power compression...

I'm sure i could boast just over a 154 right now with a stout electrical system... BUT... i like challenges :)

When i go 16v.. i'm only gonna use 3 D1600s.

I pull 878A of current on a burp just fyi.

468.png

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea have you clamped your amps when you burp to see ur actual power? If you have the claimed wattage said and your score thats very pathetic score. Get your electrical up to par which it sounds like youll need alot to get that much wattage. Make your enclosure as big as you can. You schould see a gain by doing that. Quite Possibly just take a woofer out. My teammate had 3 18s in a wall also and after he dropped one out he gained a whole dB. More isnt always better. But with that much power you should be seeing a 160 at least.

lbb-2.png

2007 Chevy HHR LT

UNDER CONSTRUCTION

1st Place Loud N Low 2010 MWSPL Finals

3rd Place Xtreme 3 2010 MWSPL Finals

a 60 at least? nah, lol, only 1 person has ever broke a 160 in my class, it's not easy.

that's why i want to make it my goal.

I used to have 4 subs in the wall, i already took one out...

I actually did a 153.4 with 4 15s in there, i cant even break a 153 now with 3.... It's killin me.

468.png

4 12s that is my opinion if you wanted it. Limited space with a lot of power is a simple decision for me, increase # of coils and use smaller subs. Cone area isnt as much of a factor as many people think. What is important and you have already mentioned is the enclosure design. If you are doing a flat wall in a small car 4 12s will fit nicely to one side and leave plenty of room for a port.

Also just so you know when i ran 16 volts and a single Stetsom 7kd it pulled 810 amps of current clamped 10,450 watts on 4 lv5 12s with a score of 159.5 dB. This was in a musical setup as well. In my case i know i would have been louder running XLs but at the time the XL had not been invented. So my bet if 160 is your gold do 4 XL 12s.

sounds interesting.

I'm limited by fusing, i dont think anybody here knows that, especially since i never mentioned it, lol.

I'm lucky i pull so little, honestly.

I can only run 350A worth of fusing. I have pulled 1100A before and was long enough to get a score posted up on the t-lab.

Efficiency is key in my league. I made my own fuse block that can hold fusing for a good 2-3 full seconds at ~900A draw on 320A of fusing before they pop so plenty of time for a score.

I believe i can stack 2 12s on top of each other in my car.

That will give me ~ 550sqin of port to play with.

funny thing is if i went with 2 18s, i'd have less port area to use.

3 15s would be even less...

I plan on doin 16v as well since it helps efficiency-wise.

The reason why i pull so little current is because my coils on my 15s are dual 1.0s at DC. So.. after rise, they rise to over 3.0 ohms per coil so the amps aren't really doin much.

It's good too though because the higher the impedance, the more efficient the amps are.

468.png

I have a dilemma so i'l post what i have now so i can work off that.I built a wall in my car so i could learn from it.I currently run 3 Level4 15s off of 21,000w

a 60 at least? nah, lol, only 1 person has ever broke a 160 in my class, it's not easy.that's why i want to make it my goal.I used to have 4 subs in the wall, i already took one out...I actually did a 153.4 with 4 15s in there, i cant even break a 153 now with 3.... It's killin me.

What I was saying. If you had your claimed 21,000watts you should be well in the 60s

lbb-2.png

2007 Chevy HHR LT

UNDER CONSTRUCTION

1st Place Loud N Low 2010 MWSPL Finals

3rd Place Xtreme 3 2010 MWSPL Finals

yea i know, i'm kickin myself in the ass everyday comparin me to others... just watchin others pass me by, lol.

I'm optimistic... there is always a different design to do\try.

Designs aren't real expensive, equipment is, and i've got most of it taken care of so it's down hill from here.

I've got til October to bring out the best of what i can too and i will take A Team's advice and go from there.

I do remember running 4 of my 3500s at 0.5ohm produced more power than 6 at 1 ohm without screwin with my score so it sounds like a good choice to go with.

Edited by shizzzon

468.png

I'm in MECA, it's a lot more competitive when your pressure class is based upon quantity and size of cone area AND fuse size to fit a certain class.

I am in a fused class, therefore with the cone area i use, i use 4 80A fuses. 4 fuses is the limit in my class as well.

These fuses can withstand about 4x their rated rating for a good second, long enough to get my score posted.

468.png