Bib, dual core means that you essentially have two operating processors in the same entity. So, to answer your question, if a dual core processor is rated at 2.4 Ghz-this means that EACH core is running at 2.4Ghz. Furthermore, if you are running a multi-threaded application (one which can take advantage of more than one processor), you will see significant performance gains.

Having two processors however, will not necessarily double your speed (but you will see massive gains). You will still have some overhead when the two cores communicate with each other. Also, to see the benefit of dual core, you must have software to support more than one execution of code simultaneously. That you don't have to worry about...all software being released these days are multi-threaded.

I am fixing to get a laptop with a "Core 2 Duo T5500 1.66 ghz" processor in it. I know nothing more than what Dale told me a few months back (Look up.) I need to know more. OK, so according to the post above, i will have a 1.66ghz processor in which each core is running at 1.66. I understand multi-threaded applications(i think), So what happens when i am not runnign a multi-threaded application? Will on one core be running everything? Will one core run my OS, and what not, and the other core pick up the application? Someone please come help me with this.

I am going from a 3.06p4 to this. I know it is going to vary depending on other components, but how will the 2 processors compare?

I am going from this...

Custom Built Desktop

-3.06Ghz Intel P4 533FSB 1MB cache LGA775

-2.5Gb PC4200 Ultra DDR2 Ram

-GeForce 6800 GT OC 256MB Pci-E

-Abit Fatal1ty Motherboard AA8XE

-7.1 Surround Sound Card with Optical Out

-250Gb Western Digital SATA 7200rpm 16mb Cache Hard Drive

-WriteMaster SATA CD-RW DVD-R

-550w Ultra X-Connect PSU (UV Ractive Cables)

-Windows XP Professional SP2

To this...

Asus Z96Jm (black)

-Core 2 Duo T5500 1.66 ghz

-2 GB Corsair 667mhz RAM

-ATI Radeon X1600 256mb GPU

-Fujitsu 80 GB 5400 RPM

-15.4" WSXGA+ 1680x1050 display

-Color Shine & Crystal Shine technology

-DVD/RW Dual-Layer Super Multi-Drive

-Intel PRO 3945 Wireless 802.11 a/b/g card

-integrated bluetooth

-Vista Premium

-6 cell battery

-2067 3DMark06 score

This is the WEI scores on my desktop

basescore-1.png

This is the WEI scores on the laptop.

.jpg

Now according to that, the proc is a little better. I really am looking for a laptop to replace my desktop, i dont play any graphically extensive games any more, jsut plain old counter strike. And i am purchasing a 250gb external for my data. So this is my 2nd question, what do you guys think, is this a good trade? I will be trading even for my tower.

I am fixing to get a laptop with a "Core 2 Duo T5500 1.66 ghz" processor in it. I know nothing more than what Dale told me a few months back (Look up.) I need to know more. OK, so according to the post above, i will have a 1.66ghz processor in which each core is running at 1.66. I understand multi-threaded applications(i think), So what happens when i am not runnign a multi-threaded application? Will on one core be running everything? Will one core run my OS, and what not, and the other core pick up the application? Someone please come help me with this.

I am going from a 3.06p4 to this. I know it is going to vary depending on other components, but how will the 2 processors compare?

I am going from this...

Custom Built Desktop

-3.06Ghz Intel P4 533FSB 1MB cache LGA775

-2.5Gb PC4200 Ultra DDR2 Ram

-GeForce 6800 GT OC 256MB Pci-E

-Abit Fatal1ty Motherboard AA8XE

-7.1 Surround Sound Card with Optical Out

-250Gb Western Digital SATA 7200rpm 16mb Cache Hard Drive

-WriteMaster SATA CD-RW DVD-R

-550w Ultra X-Connect PSU (UV Ractive Cables)

-Windows XP Professional SP2

To this...

Asus Z96Jm (black)

-Core 2 Duo T5500 1.66 ghz

-2 GB Corsair 667mhz RAM

-ATI Radeon X1600 256mb GPU

-Fujitsu 80 GB 5400 RPM

-15.4" WSXGA+ 1680x1050 display

-Color Shine & Crystal Shine technology

-DVD/RW Dual-Layer Super Multi-Drive

-Intel PRO 3945 Wireless 802.11 a/b/g card

-integrated bluetooth

-Vista Premium

-6 cell battery

-2067 3DMark06 score

This is the WEI scores on my desktop

basescore-1.png

This is the WEI scores on the laptop.

.jpg

Now according to that, the proc is a little better. I really am looking for a laptop to replace my desktop, i dont play any graphically extensive games any more, jsut plain old counter strike. And i am purchasing a 250gb external for my data. So this is my 2nd question, what do you guys think, is this a good trade? I will be trading even for my tower.

Well the Core 2 Duo will be Much faster,

And they can be overclocked very well

Edited by Shadow Works

Let me know how you like that Core 2 Duo laptop processor, I'm looking into buying a laptop that has one in it, I think its the same.

1986 C20 Suburban

9 American Bass XFL 15's

B2 M1MKII

14v XS Power Batteries

Maxwell Caps

Acoustical energy is free. Electrical energy is not

you havent lived until you've hit a screw with a router.

Just got a new HP that has the same processor 1.66 duo... Its really nice, considering the fact that I dont like Intel... but it gets the job done and is equal to my sisters 3.0 GHz P4...

Damn Thiefs

supportingmemeber.gif

Guest MegaloManiac

bibby, having dual processors is to keep the "load" off a single processor...hyperthreading i belive is the term.

its worth it, but be aware dual core = more heat