DC Sound Lab

I have been thinking about this a long, long time and finally decided to post something about it. I noticed when I first put the system in I could smell something different. Its not a bad or burning smell at all just something strange. It doesn't really matter what the volume is at or what my gains are at (little less than half on my 3500D) but the smell always comes about five minutes into playing. I would have to say it smells exactly like a bran new built computer (or computer parts freshly taken out of the anti static bag). Is this something to be worried about? I have not really tired pushing it that hard lately because I am not sure of some things. I know my subsonic is set to 28hz and my box is tuned to 30hz so that should not be a problem. I have touched the amps and all the wiring in the trunk and nothing is hot, some are warm but nothing too bad. The speaker itself gets warm from bangin it to some songs but nothing that I would consider "hot". Also, the amps are not even getting warm so I don't know.

I think it may just be the amps warming up?

if your sub is warm from 5 min of playing, even just regular playing... you are probably clipping the shit out of it.. did you set the gains with a Oscope?

The DC Integra 3 18s to 6 15 build log

Team_DC-Derrick's Youtube

Team DC Audio

where theres a will theres a wall.......

I just realized Steve has reach Voldemort status, over on JP's site he is the one who will not be named....."We dont speak his name over here, fearing it will destroy us" LOL not even in hush tones

if your sub is warm from 5 min of playing, even just regular playing... you are probably clipping the shit out of it.. did you set the gains with a Oscope?

Sorry I wasnt clear, kind of drank a little bit too much.

The smell comes no matter how loud I have been playing it. The magnet warming up is only when I play it loud. I was just trying to say that the speaker isnt getting crazy hot at high volumes and stays cool at low volumes.

And no I did not set anything with an Oscope. I need to get my hands on one and I really have not pushed my system at all and I wont until I snag one and rebuild my box.I am pretty new to this whole build your own system thing. I am hoping to have things up and running and banging the hardest I have ever felt in a month or two.

Edited by Hell-Razor

A Sundown 3500 is nothing to play with, especially with the proper electrical backing it. If you are clipping the hell out of that amp(btw which can only be really verified with an o-scope) you will most certainly will smell coil. The gain setting is not volume...no matter where the dial indicates. It reflects the ratio of amplification of the input signal vs output signal. That is it. If you are clipping the inputs.....then expect the output to be clipped.

A half-wit gave you a piece of his mind, and you held on to it.

My Youtube vids...enjoyDC.jpgdcsig-1.jpg2pt8a6w.png

anythings possible with the right build =] we accept visa and mastercard =]

what size box? here lets get the basics, just to make sure everything is covered

what type of vehicle.

What type of alt if aftermarket, with amperage

how much wire ran throughout the vehicle

what size box?

how many batteries if applicable.

Just to cover the basics..

The DC Integra 3 18s to 6 15 build log

Team_DC-Derrick's Youtube

Team DC Audio

where theres a will theres a wall.......

I just realized Steve has reach Voldemort status, over on JP's site he is the one who will not be named....."We dont speak his name over here, fearing it will destroy us" LOL not even in hush tones

I have the electrical backing the amp and that I know. I started with a 200 alt amp and bumped it up to a 350 alt amp from high amperage (badass altys). I upgraded the battery under my hood and one in the back. I know I need a third battery back there asap.

for Team_DC-Derrick --

I do not know the exact measurements of my box right now but its tuned to 30hz and is at 3.5 cu ft. I plan to rebuild it to 4cuFt later and use the entire width of my trunk and save some depth.

2003 VW Passat

350 amp alty

wiring? i have no idea... -[EDIT]- 25 feet of zero gauge and 10 feet of 8 gauge. That is my closest guess now.

3.5 cu ft box

two upgraded batteries (one in the front one in the trunk).

Edited by Hell-Razor

I will add that in a ported box you will smell a little coil for the first couple hours of play time coming out of the port area....at least in my experience.

I will add that in a ported box you will smell a little coil for the first couple hours of play time coming out of the port area....at least in my experience.

AH! that is exactly what I wanted to hear. Its not a "bad" smell or a strong one but like I said before it smells like a freshly built computer. I havent noticed if it stops after a little while though.

Yeah. As long as the dust caps are pretty cool to the touch, its just a little glue burning off. There is a very noticeable difference between a coil burning the f up and it getting a little warm.

Yeah. As long as the dust caps are pretty cool to the touch, its just a little glue burning off. There is a very noticeable difference between a coil burning the f up and it getting a little warm.

Alright. I have never smelt a coil burning though so I dont know sorry man. MY next project is to get an oscope and double... no triple check everything.

Anybody in the southern wisconsin area want to drink and mess with woofers?