XS Power

XS Power S3400 Alt Voltage??

I recently purchased a XS Power S3400 for my ’04 Monte Carlo, I installed it under the hood. In the instructions I received with the battery it said not to exceed 14.4 volts when charging. I charged the battery on my battery charger before the install, and I had my volt meter reading 14.1 -14.2 volts on the charger at 10 amps, everything was OK.

Once I had the battery installed in my car, I started it up and checked my voltage at the terminals and was getting between 14.6-14.7 volts. Is this bad? Do I have to regulate the voltage coming off my stock alternator to 14.4 volts or can I run with the 14.7? The directions said that exceeding 14.4 volts while charging will cause the battery to “gas”, allowing oxygen to escape, harming the battery permanently. Is the 14.4 volt limit just for a battery charger, or is it an alternator voltage limit too?

Can someone explain this to me so I don’t mess up my new S3400!

Thanks guys

• 2 weeks later...

You will be fine with that. Your alternator voltage will fluctuate its voltage. It will be higher when it is cold and then when it warms up it will drop down. You will be fine with the S3400 under the hood and alternator charging at stock voltages.

I'm a little confused...is there going to be a problem with the XS batteries I bought if my alt/charging system is anything over 15 volts? Or is that just on a charger?

Edited by Deschain420

I'm a little confused...is there going to be a problem with the XS batteries I bought if my alt/charging system is anything over 15 volts? Or is that just on a charger?

Prolonged charging above 15V will shorten the life of your battery. We recommend for longest life to follow the recommendations in the included paperwork. As Nathan has stated, if your alt charges high at first, it will be ok, as long as over the long term when the battery is heated up the voltage falls back down to normal levels.

• Thanks (+1 Rep) 1

XS POWER Batteries, Chargers & Accessories

888-4XS-POWER

If your alternator is set to charge at 15V or higher then yes you can run into problems and cut down on the life of the battery. Suggested charging voltage is 14.4 to a max of 14.9V.

Alternators will fluctuate with their charging voltages. When they are cold they will jump up into the 15V range and then drop back down into safe charge voltages when they warm up. This would be ok for charging XS Power Batteries, but if you have a regulator on your alternator and it is regulated to charge at 15V or higher, then you will cut down on the life of your battery.

RealPower800x135_zps58408f90.jpg

If your alternator is set to charge at 15V or higher then yes you can run into problems and cut down on the life of the battery. Suggested charging voltage is 14.4 to a max of 14.9V.

Alternators will fluctuate with their charging voltages. When they are cold they will jump up into the 15V range and then drop back down into safe charge voltages when they warm up. This would be ok for charging XS Power Batteries, but if you have a regulator on your alternator and it is regulated to charge at 15V or higher, then you will cut down on the life of your battery.

That clarifies everything...and I'm glad I came across the info and asked. Thank you very, very much.

And awesome batteries by the way. I'm more than pleased with them.

• 1 month later...

It is a 180A alt. I got off ebay about 6-7 years ago, not sure the brand. Getting 13.8V at Idle with no stereo load. I was thinking about getting a Iraggi for the higher voltage, but I'm not sure I need it. Stereo only draws 100A at full volume. Vehicle is a 1996 Tahoe.

Edited by gotahoe01