Which of these computer is better??

Ok im buying a laptop and looking to get the best bang for my buck iv narrowed it down to 2 and idk which is better the asus is faster but the m17x is better graphics but how much of a difference do these have???

ASUS

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+Laptop+with+Intel%26%23174%3B+Core%26%23153%3B+i7+Processor+-+Black/9743709.p?id=1218165770106&skuId=9743709

M17x

Intel Core 2 Duo Processor P8600 (2.4GHz, 3MB L2 Cache, 1066MHz FSB)

4 GB DDR3 SDRAM 1066 MHz (2 DIMMs)

2 X 320 GB Free Fall Sensor Hard Drive (7200RPM) in RAID 0

2GB Dual ATI HD 4870 Crossfire

SINGLE 9400M NVIDIA INTERGRATED CARD FOR GFX FUNCTION ( FOR A TOTAL OF 3 GRAPHICS CARDS )

17 inch WideXGA+ 1920x1200 (1200p)

Slot Load Dual Layer DVD Burner (DVD+/-RW, CD-RW)

OS installed: windows 7 ultimate 64bit

ALIENWARE FX BACKLIT KEYBOARD

Internal 300Mbps Dual-Band a/g/n Wireless with MIMO Technology

9 Cell Primary Battery

Bluetooth 2.1 module with EDR

Integrated 2.0 Mega Pixel Web Camera

High Definition Audio 5.1 Surround Sound

Nebula Red

COMPLETE CARE WARRANTY THROUGH 1-13-2011 FULLY TRANSFERABLE

Accessories ( alienware windows recovery dvds, manual, ac power adapter )

~REFS~

-CA.com-Gianotti(2 18" FI BTL D1) Slowd N Throwd(Wiring),Ebrunn(PC monitor),Rab(HK4000D)

-SMD.com-Nismofreak(Radar),BigP(Phone Headset),anonymous(Xbox360 Headset)

You are comparing an outdated Alienware to an ASUS.

That ASUS is faster hands down. The Core i7 mobile quad core kills that dual core. 4c/8t. Also it has turbo boost. The 5870m is going to give you better battery life than the two 4870s. To answer your question.. two 4870s will be a little bit faster. Notebookcheck says its around a 9 fps difference in COD MW2 on Ultra Settings. With the extra ram, dx 11, and better processors the ASUS is the best choice.

That ASUS laptop is one of best bang for your buck gaming laptops. Specs like that from other manufactures would cost about 2x more.

Edited by Moti
777319156.png

I figured the asus would be faster but what about graphics? The asus has the 1200x900 and the 5870

but the alienware has 1600x1200 with 1080p and the 2 4870x2's ???

The alienware is only 5mnths old he wants $1400

where the asus is brand new from bestbuy at 1199 for 6gig and 1599 for 8gig and 1 terabyte

~REFS~

-CA.com-Gianotti(2 18" FI BTL D1) Slowd N Throwd(Wiring),Ebrunn(PC monitor),Rab(HK4000D)

Itll be used for gaming and web browsing, i was told game out now wont use multiple cores for a lil bit ??? Bs??

~REFS~

It's all ways nice to future proof a little bit. So if I were you I would go with the ASUS. It's come with a good standard warranty and it's guaranteed to perform. You never know if he took good care of his M17x, the condition, and the condition on the batteries.

As newer games come out more will take advantage of quad cores. It's pretty simple the 720qm just destroys the core 2 duo. I think your gaming experience will be much better on the core i7... due to the memory controller, the cache, and turbo boost. All the new games coming out will be DX11.. something you might want to consider (The 4870's are dx10).

Check this config out: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220695&cm_re=G73JH-_-34-220-695-_-Product

Edited by Moti
777319156.png

i'd also go with the asus...

even if you have a smaller resolution, you will have way more fun with it!

first off hd5870 > 2xhd4870, 2nd off i7>c2d!

Honda Civic EJ2

Stock Audio System! And it does(n't) kick ass!

Well i just mainly play wow,swg,bf2,css,cod so would they use the i7? Im really tryin to spend as little as possible

how good is the one you linked?

~REFS~

The 5870m is equivalent to the desktop 5770. The two 4870s are tad bit faster. But it's not too much. You can look at the links below. The 5870m will give you better battery life and it is almost as fast as the two gpu solution. Not to mention less heat output!

4870 x2 mobile benchmark: http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-ATI-Mobility-Radeon-HD-4870-X2-Crossfire.14406.0.html

5870 mobile benchmark: http://www.notebookcheck.net/ATI-Mobility-Radeon-HD-5870.23073.0.html

There are a bunch of configs available for that ASUS.. So just search for the one you need. The one I linked is 500 gb HD, 1080p, 8gb ram, 720qm, and a standard 2 year warranty.

IIRC the next expansion in wow will support quad cores. The core i7 is worth it, you do not want to pay that much for an old laptop. For like a 100 more you will be able to future proof. Unless you can get him to go way lower on the laptop.

Also you might reconsider if you really need a laptop, you can save some money by getting a desktop instead. I am not a fan of desktop replacement laptops, since they aren't really mobile and battery life in general blows.

777319156.png

I dont really "need" a laptop iv got an ok desktop i just hate having to take it with me an move it. Yhe m17x is rlly cool lookn with the leds n stuff an i was pushin how much i was wantin to spend at $1400 which is why i was looking at the asus for the ram and the processors but the graphics at 900p is what i didnt like about it an eith the alienware upgradable ram an already good gpu's and resolution 1080p i just wasnt sure if it was worth it for the processors as that much faster the guy at best buy said it only overclocks 1 core to 2.8 when needed . But if u say i will tell a huge difference n cpu then i will go ahead with the asus.

~REFS~