Sundown Audio

Difference between Regulated and Unregulated power supplies

LilTeddyP

Wondering what the major differences, pros, and cons are.

Thanks

2001 Bravada (2wd) Pewter on 24's

JVC KW-AV60BT

10 Alpine Type-S 6.5s

2 PSI/BTL 18's @ 32Hz

2 Rockford Fosgate T25001-bd's @ 1-ohm each

Rockford Fosgate T1000-4

Rockford Fosgate T400-4

Rockford 3Sixty.2

Yellow top up front, 2 9a31s in the back

LOTS of AT 1/0

Python 991

350 Amp Singer Alt

"Build Log"

My Facebook

My YouTube

i didnt see the video or read anything but...cool story

and the reason your being a cock tonight is?

Nobody?

2001 Bravada (2wd) Pewter on 24's

JVC KW-AV60BT

10 Alpine Type-S 6.5s

2 PSI/BTL 18's @ 32Hz

2 Rockford Fosgate T25001-bd's @ 1-ohm each

Rockford Fosgate T1000-4

Rockford Fosgate T400-4

Rockford 3Sixty.2

Yellow top up front, 2 9a31s in the back

LOTS of AT 1/0

Python 991

350 Amp Singer Alt

"Build Log"

My Facebook

My YouTube

i didnt see the video or read anything but...cool story

and the reason your being a cock tonight is?

Just a shot in the dark here, but regulated means anything past where it says it does power it doesnt gain any, and unregulated means the higher up the voltage the more power it can produce.... just a guess though, since i never got into the technical side of amps

The DC Integra 3 18s to 6 15 build log

Team_DC-Derrick's Youtube

Team DC Audio

where theres a will theres a wall.......

I just realized Steve has reach Voldemort status, over on JP's site he is the one who will not be named....."We dont speak his name over here, fearing it will destroy us" LOL not even in hush tones

A regulated amp will attempt to put out its rated power no matter what, and you usually need the power to back them up or they can burn out from not being powered properly.

A unregulated amp has a much more useful voltage tolerance but they will vary their output to how much voltage you are giving the amp. If the amp is rated at 400 watts at 12.5 it may give you a couple extra hundred watts at 14.4 but may drop a couple hundred if you are dropping down to 10 volts.

A lot of unregulated amps have a some what regulated design so when they are under powered they still try and produce their rated power but still have the ability to be fully unregulated when you go higher than the rated voltage so you can gain extra wattage.

I love my fully regulated amps but they are not for everyone. A lot of sound quality people like an amp that has a fully regulated power supply.

If you are into straight up bass output for competition then an unregulated power supply can come in handy.

Isobaric - Refers to the practice of coupling two drivers together to make them act as one.

"Giving up doesn't always mean you are weak; sometimes it means that you are strong enough to let go."

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

The Destruction of a person builds character.

Terryswork001.png

Archived