Second Skin Audio

Help with box design

Hey guys. I'm new to the forums but was told this is THE place to go for my car audio questions so here I am. I got into car audio about a year ago and very recently started doing local competitions. Took first place the first weekend and 2nd place this past weekend in my class. I'm running 4x 12 inch kicker CVR's in a sealed box with 2x Phoenix Gold Ryval amps pushing roughly 1600 watts RMS all together. Best I've been able to get is 139.0 on termlab and the best guy in my class in my area is pulling about 141.2 I'm told the biggest thing I need to do is switch to a ported box.

Heres where I need you guys help. I've been unable to find any prebuilt boxes for 4 subwoofers anywhere everyone only sells 1 and 2 sub enclosures. Everyone says "Oh yea just build your own its easy" but then they don't tell you where to even start. So I'm looking to build a ported box for 4 12 inch kicker cvr subs and I will be running this car in competitions but its also my daily driver so from what I understand I want to tune it to 35hz for overall use. Still being good in comps but regular music still sounds good for daily use. I have absolutely no idea where to start with building a box let alone a ported one so I need all the help I can get. The car is a 1998 Nissan Altima and with my current setup I have 2 subs facing up and 2 facing the back of the car if that helps at all. I'm not sure whether I need separate chambers inside the box for each of the 4 subs? Can they all use the same port or do I need 2-4 separate ports? I'm totally lost :(

first off ill say hello and welcome to the forums!

second off ill ask for you to give dimensions of the space in your trunk or wherever you plan on putting your box. its not that easy to just go and build a box, theres plans you have to follow and many numbers are involved. (not trying to scare you or anything, you get the hang of it really easily).

i dont know if an altima is big enough for 8 cubic feet worth of space AFTER the port AND woofer displacement (taking away space). im surprised you managed to fit 2 boxes in there, they must be SUPER SMALL in order to fit. (prefab boxes for the loss)

*manual for the 2007 CVR's, taking a guess since you didnt say, says that you need between 1.75 and 2.25cuft for each woofer, i used 2cuft*

Edited by Kranny

first off ill say hello and welcome to the forums!

second off ill ask for you to give dimensions of the space in your trunk or wherever you plan on putting your box. its not that easy to just go and build a box, theres plans you have to follow and many numbers are involved. (not trying to scare you or anything, you get the hang of it really easily).

i dont know if an altima is big enough for 8 cubic feet worth of space AFTER the port AND woofer displacement (taking away space). im surprised you managed to fit 2 boxes in there, they must be SUPER SMALL in order to fit. (prefab boxes for the loss)

*manual for the 2007 CVR's, taking a guess since you didnt say, says that you need between 1.75 and 2.25cuft for each woofer, i used 2cuft*

I'm honestly not sure what year CVR's they are. I bought them from a friend. The box I have now has all 4 subs in 1 sealed box and I believe it has separate chambers for each sub inside but I've never had the box open to tell for sure.

The dimensions of my trunk are as follows

Depth: 31 inches

Width: 40 inches to the insides of the rear wheel wells

Height: 16 1/2 inches to the trunk hinge that comes down when the trunk opens

I'm possibly switching vehicles soon to a 98 Land Rover Discovery which has lots more room. Another quick side question for ya. Do you think I'll get better SPL readings with a ported box in the land rover vs the sealed in the altima? Assuming I can't get the ported in the Altima? I hear that SUV's are louder but I don't know if thats true or not.

I used this to find my port area My link

And THIS to design a box using my min port area.

Edited by bigredishott

Alpine CDA-9847 HU

F Highs 2x Infinity Kappa 60.9CS Powered by Eclipse EA4200 Glass door panels

R Highs Infinity Ref. 9622i powered by HU

3x RF Punch HX2 RFD2210 Powered by MTX Thunder 81000D

Box Vol. 3.259 before displacement, Tuned 36.6, Port area 54"

I used this to find my port area My link

And THIS to design a box using my min port area.

Those links are definitely helpful. I'm still a bit lost as to where to place the subs though. Also do you think my trunk is going to fit the box? Will the ported in the land rover be > than sealed in altima?

i would run 2 of those on double the power cuz i dont think you'll have enough room for four

do your rear seats fold down, if so i would seal your box off from your trunk

Edited by DirtyD78

2003 CHEVY SILVERADO REG CAB

H/U SONY W/ IPOD TOUCH

new build

2 dc audio lvl4 xl's

rd audio 3250

box is behind the seats

below the window

3.44 after tuned@34 htz

147.3@44 htz & getting louder

^ do it. lol