Second Skin Audio

4 10's in a camry wagon, idea's on box type

I hear the little power/why bother thing. This is just an experiment. If I can pull this one off, I'll probably go for all that can fit this fall.

The car is a staionwagon! I don't really want to go higher than the windows (15") but I have an area that is actually 30"h 35"w 26"d. Behind the fenders, I currently have a sealed box that must be 42" wide. I have been doing math, too, and with displacement and port, I can't see it staying that low either. I guess it's time for plan B. What do you think? Fosgate has their ideal settings at 7cuft net. Thanks for forming a think tank for my little setup. Like I say, it's practice. It's not the loudest I've owned and I don't think it'll fill the void long term.

Stetsom 11K2d

6-12" DC XL's

8 batts

Ohio Generator alt

2 punch 400's, 8 goldwood 6.5's, 4 selenium st200's

2010 MECA AS1 champ 146.7

Team DC I'm on the wagon, driving a wagon!

'90 Camry Wagon

155+ on music

member of MECA, FCBC, and IASCA

Can't find different specs on the 05/06 era subs.

Stetsom 11K2d

6-12" DC XL's

8 batts

Ohio Generator alt

'90 Camry Wagon

155+ on music

I went to the first link that bigredishott offered and I think I can take it from there. It seems to give me specs that I can design from. I think the subs and ports should be front firing so I'll probably scrap the original window clearance idea. According to that link, I can use two 6x6 ports that are 15.3 long. The box is 7 cu ft, but I'll add .5 cu ft for speaker displacement and about .3 for ports which gives me a grand total of 7.8 cu ft ID. I have some old but good 1" plywood I need to use. I'm guessing no bracing is needed with such low wattage.

Everyone keeps saying to buy other subs, etc, but look, man- I got this stuff cheap and used. Once I learn how to do vented boxes, I'll probably come back to the forum and ask what's the best way to utilize my 15 cu ft wagon area. I knew when I bought it that the gear was only a fraction of what I have had and probably wouldn't be the last system I get. After this is done, I may screw the amps on the side and sell is as a "powered subwoofer" to some local who probably won't appreciate what he is getting. Please let me know if my thoughts in paragraph one are on track or not.

Stetsom 11K2d

6-12" DC XL's

8 batts

Ohio Generator alt

'90 Camry Wagon

155+ on music

I talked to RF about the box and this is what they sent back to me. I was thinking of doing four 12's on a punch 4000 this fall, but the tech sent me a set up for my maximum dimensions now. I guess I can build this huge box and repack the subs and retune it this fall. Maybe that's not a bad thing.

Here's the RF specs: they are od and using 1" wood. What do you guys think? I came up with something very different when using the http://www.carstereo.com/help/Articles.cfm?id=31 link.

Info for the link: 1 port, 11.5ft^3 net, 37 hz tuning, 10x6 vent,9 mm xmax, 4-10" subs

Fosgate box for 4-10" P1 using my max space:

Width: 35"

Height: 29"

Depth: 26"

Port opening: 60 square inches (ex: 10" x 6" opening)

Port length: 10.25"

Tuning: 37Hz

Edited by Wilson

Stetsom 11K2d

6-12" DC XL's

8 batts

Ohio Generator alt

'90 Camry Wagon

155+ on music

OK, I tolf RF that a box that size for those low-power subs seemed looney to me. I sent them back some dimensions that will allow me to install my rear channel speakers without having to get really creative. I sent them od's of 22h*26d*35w, using 1" thick wood.

Paste from Rockford Fosgate:

After re-calculating your other box we actually tuned it a little lower than 37Hz since the box was so big, that allowed us to get the correct respsonse. I'm glad you were able to shrink down the dimensions, after plotting it again on my box program I was able to get a little more port area with a decent port length:

Width: 35"

Height: 22"

Depth: 26"

Port opening: 20" x 4" opening

Port length: 12"

Tuning: 37Hz

Stetsom 11K2d

6-12" DC XL's

8 batts

Ohio Generator alt

'90 Camry Wagon

155+ on music

7cuft = bigger dimensions. not worth it IMO for 7cuft for under 1000rms worth of woofers. get better woofers then it will be worth it.

why are you giving people advice... i don't think you have enough experience for this

Team sundownWESTCOASTSPL.COM we're throwing dbdrag events very soon visit the website for details

My vote? Pick two (matching) subs, build the box, and put power to them. You may not have the "impressive factor" anymore, but the result will be much cleaner and possibly louder.

You may be offended by the above. Don't take it personally, I'm just abrasive.

DC Level 4 M2 12 D2

Car Audio Bargain 1600.1

Eclipse CD3200

~2 cubes @ 34 hz.

Stinger Roadkill Expert

My vote? Pick two (matching) subs, build the box, and put power to them. You may not have the "impressive factor" anymore, but the result will be much cleaner and possibly louder.

Yeah man, this is just a warm up. I won't sink a dime into two subs for this set up. It's not worth trying to sweeten, to me, so I'll just tweak it and get rid of it. I've been kicking around full trunk/hatch area ideas for the last few days. The box, subs, and sub amps I have will all be bunched together and sold to someone this fall. I just want to practice on this little set up that I currently have before going all in.

Stetsom 11K2d

6-12" DC XL's

8 batts

Ohio Generator alt

'90 Camry Wagon

155+ on music