Infinitely Baffled The Do-Over. :P

The goal 140. My previous attempt netted me a 135 and change at 32Hz.

You can see my previous build here:

Original Build

This time I'm upping the anty with a pair of 18s and double the power. A mind boggling 900 watts. That's 900 old school class A/B watts via US Acoustics USB line. Why you ask? Because, they're cheap. The 2150 average about $100 bucks on ebay and the 2080 were about $40, which includes shipping. Here is a run down of the setup:

The car: 1994 Oldsmobile Cutlass Cierra A.K.A The Cream Puff

Head Unit: JVC KD-HDW10 A basic CD player with a built in HD tuner and RCA outputs

Amps: 2 US Acoustics USB-2085 both at 80 watts x 2 @ 4ohms (mids and highs) 2 US Acoustics USB-2150 both at 450 watts x 1 @ 4 ohms (subs)

Fronts: Powerbass 3.5" coax in stock location

Rear: MTX Thunder Axe 5-1/4" components

Subs: 2 Fi IB3 18"

Electical: Stock

I'll start off with a quick tear down.

Amps coming out. My beloved US Acoustics USB-4085. They'll be back later on for a fully active system experiment. :)

DSC01796.jpg

Bye, bye Ascendant Audio Atlas 15s. You were truely one of a kind. You will be missed.

DSC01797-1.jpg

Here is my artistic shot from the trunk.

DSC01802-1.jpg

The great wall coming down.

DSC01854-1.jpg

This on is at a funny angle

DSC01856.jpg

A side by side of what going in versus what came out.

DSC01871-1.jpg

Here is a side shot. the 18 dwarfs the 15. :)

DSC01878-1.jpg

Here is the backside.

DSC01865.jpg

I've got my fingers crossed that these 18s will make some serious noise. More to come.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

maybe its the A/B amps

maybe its the IB setup

maybe its the old school feel

whatever the reason may be, i am truly excited for this

-Matt

2005 Dodge Magnum RT
JVC KD-AVX1

2 PPI S580.2

Obsidian Audio ST1 Horn Tweeters

PRV 8MB450s

Audio Legion 3500.1D

2 RE MT 18s

360 ah LiFePO4 Battery
SHCA 2/0

155.2 @ 29 hz

Kicker CVR 15's build
DD 3512e build
Mini T-Line Build
(6) 8s Build
Nightshade 15s Wall Build
Magnum AB XFL 12s Build
Newest Magnum Build

good to see the new build startin mang

You've got my interest, can I ask what your 15" baffle is made of?

2 layers of 3/4" MDF glued together. I'll be doing the same for the 18s. I'll just space it back a bit further to keep the surrounds for hitting the seat back. :)

2 layers of 3/4" MDF glued together. I'll be doing the same for the 18s. I'll just space it back a bit further to keep the surrounds for hitting the seat back. :)

Can I ask a fairly stupid question? In this particular setup, basically all you're doing is putting double layered MDF where the backrest used to go, and then making it airtight?

This HAS to be harder than it sounds. Otherwise everyone and their mom would be doing it.

You may be offended by the above. Don't take it personally, I'm just abrasive.

DC Level 4 M2 12 D2

Car Audio Bargain 1600.1

Eclipse CD3200

~2 cubes @ 34 hz.

Stinger Roadkill Expert

Can I ask a fairly stupid question? In this particular setup, basically all you're doing is putting double layered MDF where the backrest used to go, and then making it airtight?

This HAS to be harder than it sounds. Otherwise everyone and their mom would be doing it.

:) Yes to your first question.

Regarding you statement. No it's not harder than it sounds. I feel that most don't do it is because you don't get that much output out of an IB setup.

Subwoofers have come a long way. I think we are at a point were the IB subs can rival the output of box subs dollar for dollar. Rival, was a bit bold, but I think its close, subwoofer wise I mean.

Looked like the wood had grain to it is why I ask. Is your trunk at least deadened for this IB setup, just curious cause I've never heard one nor would I ever try one. Its a very interesting build to say the least.

It's all gone!

The Celica Build

Feedback

If I buy something from you, DO NOT USE FEDEX!

Looked like the wood had grain to it is why I ask. Is your trunk at least deadened for this IB setup, just curious cause I've never heard one nor would I ever try one. Its a very interesting build to say the least.

Not yet. I'll see what needs to be done after I get the setup going. With the 15s the panels weren't ringing so deadener wouldn't help much.

Archived