With the mobo that I want to buy? the AM2 mobo? Thanks for checking that out for me... But I was just talking to a friend and he said that AM2 is old news... I thought that it was AMD's newest processor... I was kinda bummed when he said that but I kinda dont think that he is right. He told me that if I wanted a gaming rig that I need to get Intel. I believe that AMD has more multitasking power then Intel... Could someone tell me that the set up that I have previously posted that I am looking to build is good? I want something that can play games, and have no fucking bottle necks, I hate it when this computer randomly freezes... Just let me know you guys are really helping me out.

The king of the hill at the moment is Intel, with it's Quad core line. If you want to be on the bleeding edge of technology, this is the route you should take. A 2.9Ghz quad from intel will make short work out of AMD's best chip....until AMD comes up with something. But that hasn't happened yet, so Intell reigns for now.

Another thing I want to point out. Your computer will only move as fast as the slowest component. And people are always looking for the fastest chip or the most ram. But the truth is, your processor is usually NOT the problem...it usually spends most of its time WAITING for other parts. If I had a choice of something I could speed up in order to make my computer "feel" faster, it would definitely be my hard-drive.

I'm not trying to discourage you though man, I'm just saying that when you get your new computer invest in some fast hard-drives (like the WD raptors). They will make a difference.

Especially if they're in a RAID 0 configuration.

Another thing I want to point out. Your computer will only move as fast as the slowest component. And people are always looking for the fastest chip or the most ram. But the truth is, your processor is usually NOT the problem...it usually spends most of its time WAITING for other parts. If I had a choice of something I could speed up in order to make my computer "feel" faster, it would definitely be my hard-drive.

I'm not trying to discourage you though man, I'm just saying that when you get your new computer invest in some fast hard-drives (like the WD raptors). They will make a difference.

that is another thing that I wanted, then the kid that is over here telling me to build intel said that they are a waste of money. I believe that anything that is 10000 rpm is deff going to be faster then 7200 rpm.... I def want a raptor, I dont know about the RAID thing.... I just want the raptor running my everyday programs, then my 7200 rpm 250 gig to be backup on another computer, but I might just slave it in this one...

Damn Thiefs

supportingmemeber.gif

that is another thing that I wanted, then the kid that is over here telling me to build intel said that they are a waste of money. I believe that anything that is 10000 rpm is deff going to be faster then 7200 rpm.... I def want a raptor, I dont know about the RAID thing.... I just want the raptor running my everyday programs, then my 7200 rpm 250 gig to be backup on another computer, but I might just slave it in this one...

Yep, the raptor is probably the fastest (if not THE fastest) hard-drive available. But, it costs a pretty penny. That's the price you pay for performance, I suppose.

If you do a RAID (connect 2 to work in tandem), you could almost double your throughput-thereby taking more advantage of your SATA bus. It's a beautiful thing man.

Yep, the raptor is probably the fastest (if not THE fastest) hard-drive available. But, it costs a pretty penny. That's the price you pay for performance, I suppose.

If you do a RAID (connect 2 to work in tandem), you could almost double your throughput-thereby taking more advantage of your SATA bus. It's a beautiful thing man.

I am taking Networking in school and we learned about that shit, but I dont remember anything about RAID.... I could RAID it with my 250 gig? I am going to get the 74 gig raptor most likely...

Damn Thiefs

supportingmemeber.gif

I am taking Networking in school and we learned about that shit, but I dont remember anything about RAID.... I could RAID it with my 250 gig? I am going to get the 74 gig raptor most likely...

You have to RAID it with an IDENTICAL hard-drive. Speed, capacity and all have to be the same. I would not try RAID 0 with diff. HDs

2 74 gig raptors on a good controller would make programs respond a lot faster

You have to RAID it with an IDENTICAL hard-drive. Speed, capacity and all have to be the same. I would not try RAID 0 with diff. HDs

2 74 gig raptors on a good controller would make programs respond a lot faster

I dont think that I can afford 2 right now... I am looking at just getting one... I need to find out what is up with this computer, cause some times it runs like a dream, and other times I just wanna throw it out the window...

Damn Thiefs

supportingmemeber.gif

EFF that, my processor needs to SUCK the info outta the video card, or the hdd, or the ram, or what ever. It needs to stop being lazy! I think that a raptor hdd will be the first thing that I buy because I believe it will help out the performance on this computer, and I can still put it in the new computer im thinking of building!

Damn Thiefs

supportingmemeber.gif

EFF that, my processor needs to SUCK the info outta the video card, or the hdd, or the ram, or what ever. It needs to stop being lazy! I think that a raptor hdd will be the first thing that I buy because I believe it will help out the performance on this computer, and I can still put it in the new computer im thinking of building!

lol...

that's right man. most times when i upgrade computers, i attack other components that need help from the cpu. lemme explain:

most add-ons (video card, sound card) need help from your processor, because they cannot do the work alone. even some (if not all) of the fastest video cards

you can find STILL send some data to the cpu to help process. same thing with your sound card. hence, the faster these add-ons are the less help they need from

the cpu. i have seen with my own eyes computers gaining significant performance increases by just adding a beefy video card. and this is ESPECIALLY true when you have

integrated video (the type that uses system resources like cpu and RAM!!), or integrated audio.

bottom line: the cpu is quite logically the LAST thing to upgrade. you put a new one in when you can't squeeze out any more oomph from your computer.

make sense?

lol...

that's right man. most times when i upgrade computers, i attack other components that need help from the cpu. lemme explain:

most add-ons (video card, sound card) need help from your processor, because they cannot do the work alone. even some (if not all) of the fastest video cards

you can find STILL send some data to the cpu to help process. same thing with your sound card. hence, the faster these add-ons are the less help they need from

the cpu. i have seen with my own eyes computers gaining significant performance increases by just adding a beefy video card. and this is ESPECIALLY true when you have

integrated video (the type that uses system resources like cpu and RAM!!), or integrated audio.

bottom line: the cpu is quite logically the LAST thing to upgrade. you put a new one in when you can't squeeze out any more oomph from your computer.

make sense?

Sure does, I was looking at a Quad core on newegg... The only one that I could really afford right now is the 2.4, but some say that it is extremely overclockable. A comment said that 2.9GHz was not impossible with that processor.... Could you perhaps build me a quad core computer? I am having trouble with the RAM part... I want to overclock the processor alot... I only want 1 74gig raptor, and 1 dvd burner/combo... any case will do, and deff an asus mobo... Thanks.

Damn Thiefs

supportingmemeber.gif