I'm somewhat excited about the launch of this 5" tablet/smart phone hybrid, however, it is a brick of a device, so would it be practical?? Seen several previews, and reviews, looks very promising. I'm seriously considering pre-ordering this thing, but wanted to see what other SMDrs had to say about it. Thoughts,likes,dislikes......discuss.

Here is one of the hands on tour videos from YouTube.

"loud 'cause its clipped like a 7yr olds buzz cut" -Decaf

"unfortunately i'm still tuned high as Giraffe pussy" -Twistedchild420

If you want it, get it. I personally think the Captivate is a better phone at a better price. You lose an inch of real estate, but you get a much newer version of Android, a better CPU/GPU combo, and $200 vs the rumored $300 for the Streak on contract.

I was waiting for the Streak for quite some time (as many of my friends can tell you) but they just took too damn long to release in the US. I walked into the AT&T store Friday planning to look at what the Captivate had to offer and walked out with one. This is only the second time I've ever made a large purchase and not had buyers remorse almost immediately.

The few things I can say I dislike about the Captivate is that the power button is on the side of the phone and not the top, and there are a LOT of carrier branded apps pre loaded (though I've rooted and removed them). I seriously dislike the touch sensitive buttons. I wish manufacturers would just use real buttons. They are far more handy. Is it a deal breaker? Nope.

I've come to like the TouchWiz interface and I though I would hate it (if you want to change it, use LauncherPro). I'm using the Android keyboard and not the Samsung one. It has DLNA support so you can stream movies and music over your home network from your computer as well.

That said, the Streak is supposed to get an update to 2.2 as well. The Snapdragon chipset is common, so its completely possible that apps will be optimized for that chipset and will run better on the Snapdragon.

I'd reccomend getting a hard case for whichever phone you get. Both of them have large screens. And pocketability shouldn't be an issue for the Streak. Yeah its 5 inches, but its also extremely thin. I'd be more worried about holding it in your hand and using it.

You may be offended by the above. Don't take it personally, I'm just abrasive.

DC Level 4 M2 12 D2

Car Audio Bargain 1600.1

Eclipse CD3200

~2 cubes @ 34 hz.

Stinger Roadkill Expert

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I totally forgot about this thread I started. I ended up getting the Samsung Captivate. My only complaint is that it's taking forever to get a 2.2 upgrade! (for me anyways....others might have it by now.) I know there is a XDA Developers .exe Odin file that is a "one click" flasher upgrade, but I'm to chicken shit to try it....don't want to brick my phone....so that being said, anybody tried this yet, or gotten the upgrade OTA??

"loud 'cause its clipped like a 7yr olds buzz cut" -Decaf

"unfortunately i'm still tuned high as Giraffe pussy" -Twistedchild420

• 2 months later...

I totally forgot about this thread I started. I ended up getting the Samsung Captivate. My only complaint is that it's taking forever to get a 2.2 upgrade! (for me anyways....others might have it by now.) I know there is a XDA Developers .exe Odin file that is a "one click" flasher upgrade, but I'm to chicken shit to try it....don't want to brick my phone....so that being said, anybody tried this yet, or gotten the upgrade OTA??

I was really excited for the Streak 5, but I waited until it was available with Froyo. Glad I did, cause I love it. I really have no complaints, and I don't miss my iphone 3GS one bit.