Sonic Electronix

So, a few questions .....I recently put some 6 1/2's in the doors of my truck. And my buddy asked if I noticed any distortion, then he told me that a local shop put bass blockers in his to prevent distortion at max volumes..

1st WTF is a bass blocker, is that a weak ass band aid for the wrong amp?

and

2nd I do have a little Distortion with My new Deck installed (Its an Alpine IXA-W404 and Alpine Type R 6 1/2's hooked up to a Rockford Fosgate T400-4) I Was wondering if there was an easy way to test for clipping without access to an Oscilloscope?

Any help is appreciated.

How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?

So, a few questions .....I recently put some 6 1/2's in the doors of my truck. And my buddy asked if I noticed any distortion, then he told me that a local shop put bass blockers in his to prevent distortion at max volumes..

1st WTF is a bass blocker, is that a weak ass band aid for the wrong amp?

and

2nd I do have a little Distortion with My new Deck installed (Its an Alpine IXA-W404 and Alpine Type R 6 1/2's hooked up to a Rockford Fosgate T400-4) I Was wondering if there was an easy way to test for clipping without access to an Oscilloscope?

Any help is appreciated.

Check your Fq. Take off some bass/mid get more higher Fq.

Yo dog i heard you like boxes. so i put a box inside a box so you can bass while you FAIL

bass blockers are a high pass filter. either 6 or 12 db (im not real sure honestly)

its hard to find clipping without an oscope

-Matt

2005 Dodge Magnum RT
JVC KD-AVX1

2 PPI S580.2

Obsidian Audio ST1 Horn Tweeters

PRV 8MB450s

Audio Legion 3500.1D

2 RE MT 18s

360 ah LiFePO4 Battery
SHCA 2/0

155.2 @ 29 hz

Kicker CVR 15's build
DD 3512e build
Mini T-Line Build
(6) 8s Build
Nightshade 15s Wall Build
Magnum AB XFL 12s Build
Newest Magnum Build

bass blocker is basically a crossover that you put on the + speaker wire lead that blocks out XXXhz and under. i put XXX because they have different flavors of hz, like 100 400 1000 etc. i would do around 80hz or so because door speakers dont need to play low notes, thats the woofers job.

but im an idiot and didnt read the whole thing and i saw that you have an external amplifier so bass blockers arent even needed, you just adjust the settings on the amp which you probably already did.

if you have distortion you are probably pushing those speakers super hard. that amp can output a ton of power and im not sure those R speakers will be able to handle it (i dont know the power rating off the top of my head)

fuck bass blockers. use the HPF on the amp. set it to 80hz and you wont have a problem. the bass blocker is doing the exact same thing as the crossover on the amp. except that the amp's crossover is better.

you can hear clipping with test tones. play a 100hz tone and turn it up until you hear them change pitch. this vid should help

th_P1020690.jpg

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

Thanks ....Ill mess with the Amp settings. Just my luck the HPF will take care of it....lol

How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?

off topic question, where do you have your hi amp at? Behind the back seat?

03 GMC Sierra Z71 Ext Cab l 2 15" American Bass XO's l 1 Lanzar HTG2600 l AudioVox 1510D In dash DVD l KnuKonceptz Wiring l Big Three Done with KnuKonceptz KLMX 1/0 l Infinity Reference 6022si 6-1/2" Front Door Speakers l Upgraded to 145A Alt from 105A Alt l Custom Box 2^3 under the rear bench with resined bottom, and about 4 lbs of polyfill

off topic question, where do you have your hi amp at? Behind the back seat?

I have it in a storage compartment under the front seats center console