Mechman Alternators

Only 150 amps ?? It will power more than you think...

A lot of people get really caught up in numbers, ratings, etc... What people don't understand is that the peak number from an alternator doesn't necessarily mean that it will power your system better than another unit will a lower output rating.

This image below is a photo of the dyno printout on one of our 150 amp large case conversion kits for Chevy S10. You'll notice it actually does over 120 amps at idle, with 175 amps peak. It also has killer output as low as 500 rpm engine speed.

Compare that to the curve of a 150 amp small case alternator, and you will see that it barely have 70 amps at 800 rpm engine speed, with nothing blow 700 rpm engine speed.

Also, because of the difference in fan size, surface area, and stator wind, our large case 150 amp unit can run at full output forever without overheating, whereas a small case 150 amp unit would overheat in less than an hour in abusive conditions.

Our 150 amp unit will supply better voltage and more amperage under actual driving conditions than most other companies 220 amp small case units!! This unit coupled with a couple good AGM batteries can easily support 3,500 watts daily.

Thanks

for reading!!

IMG_1050.jpg

i agree. i think idle output is a lot more important than peak. if the idle output meets your needs, you never have to worry about keeping it revved up or over working your alt.

If I answered you in a well mannered, informative way, you asked a good question or had a good attitude. If I was an asshole, you asked a stupid question or you had a fucktard attitude... or I was in a bad mood.

Team BassickHU: Pioneer AVIC Z110Front: Peerless SLS 6.5", Peerless HDS 4", Rainbow tweeter - running activeAmp: JL HD600/4 and DC 4 channel (bridged to midbass)Processor: JBL MS-8Subs: 2x 12" AA MayhemsAmp: DC 3kElectrical: DC power 270xp alt. 1/0 big 4. XSpower D3400 and six D680s.

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/121795-29-update-the-buick-is-getting-a-rebuild/

Top career scores: DBdrag 151.7 MECA SQ 82.25My SOTM build

Yeah. im pretty sure they dont warranty retarded people.

i agree. i think idle output is a lot more important than peak. if the idle output meets your needs, you never have to worry about keeping it revved up or over working your alt.

x2

And thanks to Mechman for all the info and facts you've been sharing.

SMD Super Seller/Buyer

Audison----Hertz----Rainbow

On my Mustang, I run this same 150 amp unit with our 14 volt adjustable module (set to 16.5 volts) on only two XS power D1400 batteries. That charging system EASILY powers TWO kicker ZX2500.1 amplifiers at full tilt. You don't always have to have the biggest peak number if your system is set up properly.

so does that mean a 250 amp alt and a d3100 is overkill for a hifonics 2500d? like a 4000kwrms system? i dont really understand electrical, i know u need power to make power.

1992 cavalier build

1992 blazer s10

kenwood cd

hifonics hfi2500d

6 soon to be 12 12" hifonics hfi12d4's

shit ton-o-wire

Blurred Vision Audio

Team SMD

feedback/refs. clicky!-

is that a 244d? I dont see that on your site, how much is it?

03 GMC Sierra Z71 Ext Cab l 2 15" American Bass XO's l 1 Lanzar HTG2600 l AudioVox 1510D In dash DVD l KnuKonceptz Wiring l Big Three Done with KnuKonceptz KLMX 1/0 l Infinity Reference 6022si 6-1/2" Front Door Speakers l Upgraded to 145A Alt from 105A Alt l Custom Box 2^3 under the rear bench with resined bottom, and about 4 lbs of polyfill

so does that mean a 250 amp alt and a d3100 is overkill for a hifonics 2500d? like a 4000kwrms system? i dont really understand electrical, i know u need power to make power.

Yes you are correct, there is no such thing as free wattage. What you have to remember though, is that you generally arn't playing your system at full tilt all the time, yet your alternator can continue to run at constant duty cycle to replenish your batteries even after you turn the system down. A lot of it has to do with how long you listen to the system at full tilt, and how long the engine is allowed to run after the load has been removed from the system.

By running 14 volt batteries, you protect yourself from dangerously low voltage levels after you exceed the output capability of the alternator. When you overstress your alternator on a 12 volt system, you start falling from 13.0 volts or so, often down into the 10 os sometimes even 9 volt range on big bass hits. On a 14 volt system, you start falling from 15.0 volts, down to maybe the 12 or 11 volt range, which is much easier on amplifiers.

The main point I am trying to make, is that when at full operating temperature, one of our "150 amp" large case units will blow away a "200 amp" small case alternator from most other alternator companies. In other words, you shouldn't just use an alternator's cold peak amperage rating to evaluate if it is better or worse than another alternator. You have to take into consideration cooling, physical size, rectifier composition, etc...

Just like Subs, amps, or anything else, there is more to it than just advertised specs.

is that a 244d? I dont see that on your site, how much is it?

Yes, it is AD based. This particular unit for 1996 - 2004 GM trucks is $249 shipped.

regards,

Matthew

hey mechman did you ever get my email? still waiting for a reply. ill try sending it again if u didnt get it for sum reason.

1992 cavalier build

1992 blazer s10

kenwood cd

hifonics hfi2500d

6 soon to be 12 12" hifonics hfi12d4's

shit ton-o-wire

Blurred Vision Audio

Team SMD

feedback/refs. clicky!-